Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I guess that's all the excuse I need to get the Adventure Time game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Monster Hunter demo is up in NA, though it wasn't appearing under the recent arrivals. Searching for Monster Hunter will get you to the main game hub and you can download it from there, though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only problem with the in-game browser is that it's usually much faster to just pause the game and pull up a walkthrough on my smartphone than it is to open and load one on the 3DS. The same with the notes feature--when I was playing VLR it was a lot easier to take notes in a real pen-and-paper notepad than it was to switch back and forth to type in passwords and such.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA is finally getting Picross-e this week, it'll set you back $5.99.

:toot:

Finally! First day purchase for sure.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't see it mentioned here but Monster Hunter is on sale for $19.99 until 9 am PST on 10/4. The demo didn't do much for me, but I rarely pass up 50% off deals on any videogame.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edoraz posted:

Demo did a horribly bad job selling the game as a whole. Just take the tutorial slowly and read all the text you can. At least till your first real monster kill (giant noisy bird). If you get that far and are still not having a good time, drop it

Yeah, I've heard the demo was pretty crap, but I didn't feel like it was worth a $40 gamble. $20, though, I can deal with. I'll probably enjoy it enough to pass the time until Pokemon drops.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RMZXAnarchy posted:

First time they've done a 3DS virtual console game that isn't a gameboy game, right?

Nah, they've had NES games on there for awhile. Most of them are the ambassador games but I think there's some other mostly unremarkable games too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Downloaded EO:U on a whim and enjoying it far more than the EOIV demo I played because of story mode. Still managed to walk into an F.O.E. and get my rear end handed to me pretty much right away, but it was a much better experience than being thrown into a completely blank slate. "Here! Create five characters and make sure to assign them complimentary roles despite having no idea what each role exactly does! Oh, and if you choose poorly and die you have to start again from the beginning of the dungeon floor motherfucker!".

I'm just not that into videogame sadism. Which I guess is why they made EO:U.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm at work, so I'm trying out downloading Kirby 3D by tethering my 3DS to my phone. We'll see how this goes (it probably won't).

[Edit: It got to 12% and then my phone lost LTE. I forced it into LTE mode but it wouldn't download anymore. Restarting the download now, we'll see if it works.]

[Edit 2: 75% a few minutes later. I'm pretty sure T-Mobile's LTE is faster than my home internet :v:]

[Edit 3: Wait, it actually worked. Not at all what I expected.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 2, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver95280 posted:

At least Triple Deluxe has a release date. I'm still waiting for Layton vs. Wright to even get that. :smith:

Even Metacriric's mocking the US:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kinda in disbelief that LaytonxWright is downloading right now, I thought it'd never get a US release.

Very happy about it, though. Hopefully this will lead to both Professor Layton and Pheonix Wright in 5mash Bros. Amoured Edition TIA Sakurai

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Haha Ubisoft thinks their 7 month old universally panned game is worth $60. Call me when you drop it to $20, Ubi.

I haven't finished Watch_Dogs so maybe the ending is so terrible that it changes things, but I actually really enjoyed what I played of the PC version. I wanted an open world game that allows you to run around and hack random people and that's what I got.

One thing that I really liked about it was how using stealth was actually a viable technique a lot of the time, like in Deus Ex: HR. There are some situations where direct combat is necessary, but the game usually gives you an out. One notable example is a warehouse where I was ambushed by a gang; however, there was plenty of advance warning and explosives in the warehouse, and with careful bomb placements I was able to take out most of them as soon as they entered the warehouse and then sneak around and stealth kill/snipe the few that remained.

Also the online play was really fun--my favorite was a mode where you were dropped into another player's game and had to stalk them without being noticed. If you did it right, the other player was never even notified of your presence, which helped add a strong sense of paranoia that I was being constantly watched in my own game (and had me actually consider my actions towards NPCs, which is a first for an open world game).

Things that were not so great: any missions involving following/stopping someone in a car, the fact that the PC's online play because lousy with actual hacks within a week of gameplay, and the fact that the hacker culture represented in the game tried so hard to be dark'n'edgy Stephenson-esque Cyberpunk that it was an instant parody of itself.

I'd say perhaps not buy it at full retail, but at $40 or so it's probably worth it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Even if it were universally praised it's seven months old and on a less powerful system. If they had included the DLC for free or something, that would at least be something.

And yeah the gameplay looks pretty fun to me and I'm glad you can stealth a great deal. But the protagonist looks unlikable and the story looks terrible. UniSoft protagonists are the worst. I'm surprised there wasn't a "Press X to torture" in the latest Rayman. Then again maybe there was.

It's getting some DLC, but not the one people were hoping for. The story isn't the best, but I've never considered story to be an important part in open world games. Its biggest mistake is that it takes itself too seriously for a game where you can hack computers by looking at them though a camera, but I found it easy enough to roll my eyes at some of the stupider bits as I moved on to the next gameplay section.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Son of Isaac posted:

Wii U
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy: $9.99
  • Mario Kart 8: $44.99
  • Super Mario Kart: $5.99

3DS
  • Mario Golf: World Tour: $22.49
  • Mario Golf (GBC): $2.49
  • Metroid (NES): $3.49

drat, Metroid Prime Trilogy is ~8GB. Guess it's time that I finally get an external hard drive.

I don't know why I expected it to be less, considering that a quick glance over the file size of... less legitimate versions put the .iso at 8-9GB, but I was kinda hoping that Nintendo would be able to work some kind of magic on it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 29, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Siselmo posted:

Hey goons, are there some problems with the eShop right now? I'm downloading Metroid Prime and the download is taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R. The console tells me the download will be done in 100 hours and in so far five and a half hours only ~5% of the game has been downloaded. I've checked the house's internet but on my laptop and my mom's tablet it works ok. Right now the only things using the internet are the Wii U and my laptop (and I'm just using the browser with two tabs open and no other downloads).

I just want to play Metroid with my brother before I go back to uni on Tuesday :(

As I found out, Metroid Prime Trilogy is HUGE. Slightly over 8 gigs. It's not the biggest thing on the eShop (off the top of my head Darksiders II was like 26GB and Smash 4 is 11GB) but it's still really big compared to, say, 3D World or MK8, which are somehow less than 2GB each.

So if you've got a base-level Cable or (gasp) DSL connection, indie and Mario games would probably download in an few hours or so, while stuff like MPT or SSB4 is gonna take significantly longer.

(Also If you think that's bad, I bought three PC games last year that were more than 50GB to download each. Thank goodness that Comcast hasn't established data caps proper yet, and as someone who now almost exclusively buys games digitally I hope they never do.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Siselmo posted:

My ISP is not very good so I guess that explains it, yeah (I remember Captain Toad taking a bit less than 3). The estimate went down sometime later last night to 6 and then to 2 1/2. It was weird. At least I have the game now.

And oh god +100 GB download how long did that take :stare:

I typoed, I meant to say 30+ gigs, not 50+. The only one I can remember off the top of my head was Shadow of Modor, which I think was a 36GB download. I've got a midrange Comcast internet subscription that nets me 25-35Mbps (Comcast themselves quote 25Mbps on their site for my plan) depending on time of day and the server I'm downloading from, and as I remember Shadow of Modor took about 3-4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
ITT: People pissed that they weren't able to get a Marth amiibo

(I wasn't able to either :( )