Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

StevenM posted:

MeccaPrime was kind enough to demonstrate the same in his LP of both games. The talk of the Oracles series just reminded me of so many games on the system that used connectivity of some kind (passwords or Link Cable) to access extra features, and how said connectivity was cut off for some arbitrary reason on the eShop.

It's not "some arbitrary reason". It is VERY HARD to emulate a physical cable over a wireless signal. They work completely differently with different margins of error and different protocals. Ever tried getting netplay on an emulator to work reliably? Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

You can also play as the lady Clive is trying to save (she is trying to save Clive, you see). She can float like the Princess in SMB2.

She can float but she can't shoot while running! :eng101:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

Mega Man is more about platforming puzzles and figuring out the best way to navigate your environment one room at a time. Mega Man X is more of an action-based platformer that isn't nearly as slow and methodical and has an exploration element to it in some stages, but always for optional power ups.

I hate the Mega Man series, but I love X. Now if only we could get the Zero games on the 3DS VC. :getin:

The Zero games are available as a DS collection! :eng101:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Machine posted:

No just contort your fingers so you can press the A button, trust me I am an expert.

On the Wii U you can bind Dash to ZL and still use the bumpers to switch weapons!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gandalf21 posted:

Holy poo poo, $5 for Bit trip Saga? I already own Complete for the Wii, but I might double dip for that price to get a portable copy.

I paid 5bux after Digital Deluxe Program credit when it was on sale for 10bux a few months back. Absolutely worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People tend to flip between 2 and 3, I guess.

I really can't go back to WL3 - they completely over-complicated everything by adding tons of backtracking and gating and a billion different collectibles, like a bad N64 platformer gone 2D. It's not a terrible game or anything, I'm just not interested in that sort of pointless bloat anymore.

Sounds like the intersection of Wario Land and a Metroidvania.

I have never been so excited.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No idea. Come to think of it, did they ever actually announce it for Japan?

Here's something funny about the Youtube app: it's actually just a web browser optimised for streaming video, and you can "trick" it into letting you surf the web and visit other video streaming websites if you really want to. (You can even use it to view "real" Youtube videos in high quality, but the buffering is intolerably slow.)

Tell me your secrets!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He-hay! GET HYPE (even if it is lacking messaging or friend requests for no god drat good reason)!

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/09/emily-rogers-confirms-miiverse-coming-to-3ds-today-after-scheduled-maintenance/

Miiverse 3DS today!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, It's those little japanese 12 year old sluts fault we can't online videogame!! :bahgawd:

Is there anyway to use this as a makeshift game organizer? Like, post a thing that my friends could see saying "get in my animal crossing town" or whatever? That's really all I want to be able to do.

You could make a post, and it would be timestamped, publicly on the AC board. Everyone on the board would see it, tho they couldn't really do much about it, but if your friends are "following" you the message will ALSO appear on their Activity Feed(s).

It wouldn't send a notification to them, though, unfortunately, and the 3DS version of Miiverse doesn't support PMs, as has been established. Better than nothing, but it could be so much better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Wait, when did this become a thing? Has this been a thing the whole time? Did I just miss the fact that I could do this the entire time? :psyduck:

It's been "a thing" this whole time, man.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

oneliquidninja posted:

How's Gianna Sisters and Bit.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien? I'm thinking of buying one of these today and Gianna Sisters looks more interesting to me but I figured I'd get some feedback first.

I've not played Gianna Sisters, but Bit.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is an absolute masterwork. I got 20+ hours out of it and there's still more content I could go for if I wanted. It's addicting and challenging without being frustrating and the art and music are wonderfully endearing. Buy Bit.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien. Bit.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is a wonderful product!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PICTOBITS owns, everyone get it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Arin got really fat in the past little while, seems like.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

6 would be better if all the Boktai stuff hadn't been gruesomely torn out of it for the US release. My favorites are 3Blue and 5DS.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's several maps, chips, bosses and Program Advances just gutted out and it makes me feel like I'm playing an incomplete game. I'm a huge Boktai fan and the content being removed infuriates me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Momomo posted:

The unbelievable part of this is that Boktai fans exist.

You have a problem, big man?

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough. I spent hours playing Boktai 2 in the hot summer sun and IT WAS WORTH IT, DAMMIT!

TAIYOOOOOOH, MOTHERFUCKERS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

Boktai was fun, but who came up with the idea of having to play in the sun when that makes it impossible to see anything on a GBA screen?

Kojima. Mad, brilliant Kojima.

And it was fine on an SP!

Hog Butcher posted:

Use a blacklight. :v:

That's cheating. Cheater.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Kirby's Adventure is fantastic and it's also one of the best-looking 3D Classics. All the sprite-layering is crisp and the game holds up fantastically, even though it's not quite Kirby Super Star.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

C-Euro posted:

How's Gunman Clive? I thought I heard some positive buzz about that game, and I'm putzing around on the eShop and I see it's only $2,and I have $5 that can go either towards that or Wario Land 2 (a favorite from my childhood)

Wario Land 2 is better, and Gunman Clive, while spectacular, is really short and is getting a much better sequel soon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Froist posted:

Do the Oracles games on VC do whatever link-up stuff happens between them, or is that not emulated? I'm a big Zelda fan but never played either of those.

The link-cable functionality was only ever a quicker method of doing the Linked Game features - all the functionality could also be accomplished using the passwords the games generate. Just keep Word open/a notepad nearby and go hog wild!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

less laughter posted:

And Boktai without a sun sensor :getin:

the sun sensor's the entire loving point :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My uncle taught me how to play video games on his old NES and now I can replace the long-lost thing with this fun buddy this holiday.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

.TakaM posted:

they could easily map half press to one trigger and a full press to the other trigger

An L press is an analog value between 0 and 255, you can't say it's only a half.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They were terrible sorry bout your opinions.

notched joysticks singlehandedly make the gamecube controller a necessity for smash bros. everything else, pro controlllers do better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nope, but the "new" look (which is like 8 years old by now) kicks rear end and looks great.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mega64 posted:

At least you can redeem those for music boxes and cats.

And doppel dolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

youtube app trip report:

volume is pretty low when maxed out compared to even my low-end android phone and there are no options for playback speed. seems like a straight port of the ps4/tv app. Supports 1080p60 video both docked and portable (presumably supersampled for the 720p screen. Supports touch input but only sort of - no real navigation because you can't swipe or drag, just click. So you can pause and resume with joycons detached and you can use the onscreen keyboard but actually browsing your subscriptions requires the actual controller.