Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
So reports are that it's going to be the 60hz version of F-Zero that hits PAL Wii U Virtual Console this month. I really didn't expect anything but it looks like the complaining might have paid off?

Here's hoping this becomes standard in the future of the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Commissar Ken posted:

Gunman Clive is another western themed game this time a sort of Mega Man clone straight down to those stupid little 5 shot turrets. Has a lot of little nods to other games and a bunch of fun boss fights. Also lets you play as an unarmed duck and try to cross levels. Best 2 buck game I ever played.

Has a cool thing where you can play as the damsel and rescue Clive instead, too. Very fun game, bit short but good value considering the low price.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, regarding Kirby's Adventure:

Welp, it was nice while it lasted.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Reading up a bit on the PAL conversion of Kirby and found the following:

quote:

In the PAL version, the music is identical to the NTSC version, with correct pitch and tempo. The main game engine seems to run with the regulat 17% slowdown, but the odd thing is that Kirby still moves with the same speed as he does in the NTSC version (in other words, Kirby is faster relative to everything else).

So yeah, while it's better than the standard PAL slowness, they should just be putting the US version up.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

limaCAT posted:

New post: apparently the Swapnote update for Europe is coming out today.

It's up right now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Expecting prices to match the slightly-lower-than-Wii currency-adjusted prices featured on the 3DS eShop here in Australia, which basically means $6.50 instead of $7.50. Still, a dollar is a nice little saving, especially if they're actually going to be giving us the 60hz version of games.

Interested in seeing the adjusted SNES/N64/etc prices.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
No mention of being American versions of Mega Man or Pac Man in the press release, either. Guess we're back to good ol' 50hz goodness.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not that I plan on buying it, but a second week without Mega Man X is silly.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Our first Final Fantasy was VII on the PSX

Technically, there was Mystic Quest before that.
:goonsay:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

greatn posted:

The Sonic Gamegear games were just the Sega Master System Sonic games weren't they?

Yep.

Apart from Blast, the others are decent enough. The Game Gear versions are just crippled by the claustrophobic field of view (and the messed up first boss in Sonic 2, which is fine in the MS version).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

you can't see due to the reduced viewing area of the GG screen.

The Game Gear Difference™

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone have any impressions on the second Dillon game? Is it just more in the same mold of the first? Never played the original but am tempted to grab the sequel while it's under ten Ausland Funbux.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Signor posted:

Sorry if this has been brought up before but i can't seem to find an answer on this

I'm heading over to Europe for a year on exchange and i'd like to bring over my American Wii U. Obviously buying Pal games is a no no but what happens in regards to the eShop? Can i still use the american store or will the ip address send me over to Europe one automatically? And if i use the European version do digital games still have the same region issues?

eShop region is based on the hardware account, nothing to do with your IP.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
With Shantae out of the way, we can move on to hoping for Bionic Commando: Elite Forces, Dragon Quest 1&2, Dragon Quest 3 and Metal Gear: Ghost Babel.

Not that those are anywhere near Shantae money, I just want them on Virtual Console.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's not there, just went and searched. It is listed in the update news on the eShop for some reason though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Being optimistic, its slipping in there could be an indicator that it's not too far away, though. Or maybe someone just hates us.

Man, Shantae and Earthbound would've been an amazing one-two punch of a VC week.

e: So, uh.

Huh. Still not up here in Australia though.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 18, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Waterfall of Salt posted:

It says 16:00 UTC, so it'll be up in a little more than an hour.

Ah, cool. Didn't say that when I looked before.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Petit Computer is apparantley amongst the EU releases this week. Betting it won't appear in Australia.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

irlZaphod posted:

Whoa, seriously? I'd given up hope on it ever appearing. The buzz seems to be kinda over for it, though. :(

I didn't post the whole thing because I didn't want to step on PSN's toes but the week's list:

quote:

Wii U
Pikmin 3 €49.99 (£39.99)

Special Offer: Panoramic View €1.99 (£1.79)
If you buy or own any three out of these four Wii U Panorama View video tours, you can download the fourth one for free! Only from 25/7/13 until 08/8/13.

Wii U Virtual Console
Kirby's Dream Land™ 3 €7.99 (£5.49) - US Version

Wii Virtual Console
SENGOKU 900 Points

3DS
Super Black Bass 3D €19.99 (£17.99)
I Love My Pets €29.99 (£24.99)

3DS Virtual Console
Street Gangs €4.99 (£4.49)

DSiWare
Petit Computer €7.99 (£7.19) 800 Points

Street Gangs is River City Ransom.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Street Gangs' listing says you can play two players using Download Play with a single copy of the game. That's pretty cool.

Anyone taken the punt to confirm if it's 50hz or not?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RMZXAnarchy posted:

IIRC you only have to be weary about the 50hz poo poo on the Wii U. 3DS games are all the US versions.

It's specifically not the US version because it's Street Gangs rather than River City Ransom. Like if Tecmo put up Shadow Warriors instead of Ninja Gaiden.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BKPR posted:

If I were to buy one of the Game Gear Sonic games, what'd be my best option?

The first one isn't very Sonic-y but it is a pretty decent platformer all the same, so probably that.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bit.Trip Presents Runner 2 is finally up on the Australian/NZ eShop out of nowhere.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Bit.Trip Runner alone is worth the $5. The rest are a nice bonus.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dudes, note the Monster Hunter sale - 50% off on both platforms in both regions for a few days ($30 on WU and $20 on 3DS, I guess).

I guess $40 Ausland Funbux for the Wii U version is okay considering the $64(OGS)-$74(local) the physical copies are still selling for.

Probably won't pick it up, though. Spent about that much on the original Tri Classic Controller Pro bundle and didn't really get in to it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Uh everyone knows the first Sonic is the best of the Mega Drive games. Do Sonic 2 or 3&Knuckles have Star Light Zone? No? Didn't think so. :c00lbert:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Demo means eShop listing for the game which means we finally have an Australian price for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies: $39.95

Little higher than I would've liked but lower than they could've tried to jam us with so I'll probably cop it anyway.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I should've known better than to hope that Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND would be available in Australia. I know music licensing probably makes it a poo poo, but I wanted to dream :negative:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nah, just not on our store. I'd heard you couldn't just change regions on Wii U like on 3DS so I didn't try that, but realised after that it meant you need to make a Nintendo Network account for that region after switching the system settings so I'm trying now.

Fingers crossed.

e: Actually, can't see it on UK eShop either. It is on their New Releases listing though, unlike ours. Dated the 4th though, and the Miiverse community isn't up yet either, so I guess it's a late/special release, like Earthbound or a retail title.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 4, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Thanks, downloading now. 476MB

Hopefully the actual service isn't IP blocked and we can just run it this way. Don't know how often I'd actually buy a pass, but it seems like a really cool thing to have around.

E: it works fine

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 4, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Zelda buyable with Club Nintendo coins. Way to poo poo on ambassadors Nintendo.

Yeah I turned on my 3DS this morning and my ambassador Super Mario Bros. had disappeared, what the hell Nintendo.

Oh wait no it's still there and I still didn't pay for it so other people being able to buy it or redeem Club Nintendo credit for it doesn't affect me in any way just like it didn't when it was first added to the eShop for regular sale.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, definitely gonna grab SteamWorld Dig now. Thought it looked pretty cool before, have to get it while it's on sale.

Urban Champion can gently caress itself, but Clu Clu Land is pretty cool. Not something I'd buy now, but I played it a fair bit in Animal Crossing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The 3D Classics version of Kirby's Adventure is pretty much the definitive version of vanilla Kirby's Adventure (the extra definitive version being Nightmare in Dreamland of course) since it got rid of all the slowdown from the game. There is literally zero reason for anyone that "didn't give a poo poo" about the 3D Classic to buy a Virtual Console version.

e: except that it'd be a few bucks cheaper, I guess?

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 11, 2013

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crawfish posted:

Some of us just prefer the original software?

Sure, but this isn't like Kirby's Adventure vs Nightmare in Dreamland or Mega Man X vs Maverick Hunter X or whatever. Put the 3D slider off and it is the exact same game as a Virtual Console release would be, slowdown aside.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Edoraz posted:

Dumb question about that: are there any multiplayer GB/C games on the device yet? I don't recall seeing any.

Puzzle games mostly (Tetris and Dr. Mario being the big ones), and a few things like Double Dragon's VS mode.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

-Wii Karaoke U finally started getting Japanese songs this week; they've actually been getting 50 new songs a week since launch, but I never mention 'em because I figured no-one cared.

There's some neat stuff in the most recent update for animu fans (Do You Remember Love!) but since I don't actually know any Japanese I never really understood the "Japanese songs when??" some people elsewhere had going on every week since launch when it came to the library updates.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Of course I probably just got my hopes up because NoA seemed to be following NoE for a while.

Oh they'll be following NoE alright, just not the way you want: just like it took four months for us to get Mega Man X after you guys, it'll take you four months to get Mega Man X2 after us. Look forward to it in March 2014 :unsmigghh:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I bought 3D Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't really need a millionth copy of Sonic the Hedgehog but how could I not when it was right there :negative:

It's pretty much a perfect replication of the game and the 3D is nice if subtle (expected I suppose, given the nature of it; like 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure). Still disappointed it doesn't have Tails and Knuckles playable like the mobile version but proper controls make it much more playable than that.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ahahaha, those Nintendogs prices. I mean Nintendogs is great for what it is, and I could see the benefit of digital as a "load up now and again" title for people that don't like switching carts but those were launch games, no? Carts are around for much less than that nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Champeenship posted:

Nintendo has a stated policy of wanting to keep digital copies at the same price as RRP and not wanting them to "deflate". It's the reason I think NOA removed Nintendoland from the eShop after the price cut, as they didn't want to be seen cutting digital prices at all (Reminder: Nintendo is bad at internet).

Yeah, I get that, and I've often said as such to people complaining about stuff being sold at RRP. That makes sense for simultaneous digital releases or things hitting the eShop not long after it hits shelves. But Nintendogs + Cats is the better part of three years old and basically nowhere is still selling it for RRP.

It's just nuts.