Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you have a Japanese 3DS you'll be locked to the Japanese eShop, with no way of changing it to another region, and you can only use prepaid currency cards/digital download codes from Japan, but I think you can just use your credit card without any issues.

Yeah, exactly. I just use my Canadian Visa card. It's the easiest, pain-free solution.
They just convert the currency to yen and charge you accordingly in your local currency with around 5% exchange surcharge tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Three VC games on the JP Wii U this week (Super Metroid, Pac-Man, Mappy) plus yet another promotion - if you buy either Pac-Man or Mappy before the 29th, you get the other for free (I think).

I bought Super Metroid for 30 yen last night.

The Pac-Man + Mappy deal is buy one, get the other half off.
That's still nowhere near interesting for FC games that have not aged well.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I hated doing Super Metroid wall jumps.
Instead of letting myself get frustrated, I just pulled out my turbo controller, set it to max, then bombed myself up vertically. (This cheat lets you reach places you shouldn't be able to go.)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I'm about halfway through Bugs vs. Tanks.
The battle system remains dull--all you do is aim your turret and/or chassis at bugs to shoot automatically.
The fun lies in collecting WW2 vintaqe tanks. Just got a Tiger I last night, and collected Panzer V, Cromwell, Crusader, T34/85, and M4A3 the night before. If that gobbledygook means anything to you, BvT might be for you. I paid $4 for it, so I can't complain, but it's pretty crappy as a tank game.

Since Level 5 has all their download games for half price in Japan for another week or so, I also bought Attack of the Friday Monsters.
This one's a tougher sell. If Ultramna nostalgia wrapped in a kind of talky JRPG in 1970-ish Tokyo sounds appealing, by all means.
However, even for me, who grew up in that selfsame place and time, it's kind of tedious.
There's also a card-based battle system played under paper-scissor-rock rules using monster cards you get by picking up sparkly rocks off the ground. It's not very deep, though. I haven't gotten into the actual monster fighting scenes after a couple hours, but I don't think I should be holding my breath for kaiju rampage.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Finished playing Attack of the Friday Monsters.
It's terrible. Lame story presented in Layton style with no battles and only "go talk to this character" challenges.
It's supposed to be nostalgic to people like me, but it's nothing short of juvenile, wimpy, and cliched.
And, it only clocked in at a shade over three hours.
Seriously, save your money and don't touch this with a bargepole.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Are you familiar with the Kaz Ayabe's other games, Boku no Natsuyasumi? I've never played them but they have a cult following and seem to trade heavily on nostalgia in a similar way to Friday Monsters, so I'm just curious to know whether this game compares unfavourably to his other games in that respect.

I've never played them, but I know of them.
They're sort of like Animal Crossing except with people and nostalgia-invoking Japanese rural settings, aren't they?
They looked interesting but I knew they'd just go unplayed among my dismaying pile of untouched classics.

I also see they're responsible for some graphic work on Konami's Magician's Quest series, which I thought was pretty much a straight rip on Animal Crossing.

Friday Monsters just didn't measure up at all for me.
The story's entirely too short and I suspect confusing to people who aren't familiar with Japanese cultural cues and cliches.
I grew up in that time and place, but it failed to strike a nostalgic chord.
It just amounts to a JRPG without battles, and a pretty tedious one at that.

Also, there's no PvP mode, so you're stuck playing against NPCs with your monster cards.
Since the battle system is little more than your rock-paper-scissors, there's little satisfaction to be gained in winning.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Picross-E is finally available in North America.
It is awesomely designed with no puzzles requiring any guessing (but that doesn't mean it's not challenging).
It has a total of around 150 puzzles ranging in size from 5x5 (some take around a dozen seconds to finish), 10x10, to 15x15.
I can't recommend it enough for genre fans.

Also, playing through Picross E-3 (Japan) now.
Tweaks include clues and hints that can be turned on/off, and the ability to turn off the time penalty for screwing up.
The puzzles are again of fantastic quality. I'm at around the 20th Normal puzzle (so I'm into the 15x15 puzzles), and they're all exquisitely designed to give up sqaures grudgingly, often one at a time.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Do not even ask posted:

No 20x20 or 20x25 puzzles? Man, looks like I'll have to look elsewhere for something to scratch that itch Picross DS left me with.

No, although each of the Picross E titles have added modes with giant puzzles that are pieced together, etc.

Still, give it a try. Toward the end, the 15x15 puzzles take me up to 20 minutes (and I'm good at blipping through these).
It's not like the total crap DSi e-shop outings from Hudson. Those were plainly terrible.

For $6, I get around 20+ hours total play time. It's money well spent.
When I start playing, I have a tough time making myself stop.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I bought all four yesterday on the JP e-shop.
The variety of hats increased by a lot right off the top.
Also, by buying these games, I was given four hat tickets (to be exchanged for hats) right away.

I played the shmup first. It's well made as a Gradius-type sidescroller.
The streetpassed Miis are attached like Gradius options to your craft and treated as weapon packs (if you haven't SPed anyone, you can't go out on a mission--no guns). There are three kinds of weapons. By putting more Miis on a certain weapon, it can be powered up to max three levels.
The weapons can be rotated around your craft to shoot in eight directions.
I managed to clear one stage and got myself another hat.
It's fun enough for what it is.

The florist Garden game didn't make much sense.
You're just supposed to trade seeds with other Miis (they also help water your garden) and grow different flowers.
I wasn't very engaged by this one. Didn't see much point to it.

The country domination Battle game counts the Miis you collected, and the collected Miis of the people in the SP queue to form an army.
You then take your army against I think twenty NPC territories and fight their armies using rock-paper-scissors mechanics.
Your own army can be divided to build up your castle as well.
It's not all that compelling, but it also yields hat tickets.

The Mansion is a sort of dungeon crawler in which one collects floor tiles (like Tetris/Bombliss pieces)from SPed Miis for assembling the floor of the dungeon, fighting ghosts (auto RPG style, IIRC), and locating the hidden stairs to find the next floor. It's interesting.

I can get several SPs daily (my two units + three kids), so they're worthwhile to me.
Fifteen bucks for all of them's not bad considering I routinely drop twenty bucks on frozen yogurt for me and the kids.
Hell, at a lot of places, that won't even get me two beers.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Friday Monsters suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I bought Friday Monsters on the JP e-shop about a month ago when L5 had a 50% off sale on all their e-shop offerings.
It only cost me 4 bucks, but it still makes me angry for wasting around five ~ six hours on it to clear.
It really is like the first hour of a bad JRPG in which you have to run around the first town and talk to everyone before you can leave to finally fight a monster...but there's no monster fights.
There's also a card game with dog-simple mechanics, but since you can only play NPCs, there's no joy in winning.
It's a trite, tedious slog even for a guy like me who grew up in the game's depicted era and should've felt a twinge of nostalgia.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How about approaching it as more of a visual novel/story game. I just saw a trailer and I'm interested in knowing if it's worth a purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJRbP08ucg

Like I wrote, Friday Monsters is basically a one-town JRPG without any battles, just loads of inane pre-teen kid dialog wrapped around a late 1960s-ish Nippon nostalgia setting which did nothing for me despite having lived through it.
The game gets no better than what you see in that promo video--just much, much more of exactly the same over the course of the game.
According to my play log, I finished it in just 4:48 despite me being pretty slow and methodical.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you actually clear the game (i.e. finish the last episode by getting all the monster cards) or just the last story episode? Because it strikes me that there's way too much random chance there.

No, I saw the ending credits, and did run around looking to complete, but got sick of doing that in 20 minutes.
(I did confirm that there's no bonus or rewards for getting 100% complete other than a database mode.)
By then, I was so seriously sick and tired of the sickly sweet kid dialog, annoying and condescending narrator, poor screen switching mechanics, lack of compelling reasons to play, etc., to confine it to my dump folder.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
That baseball game is out in Japan: Darumeshi Sports-ten.
It's free to download, and then you buy mini-games within for real money.

It's about a hard-luck owner of a sports shop who invested in a new virtual game system (Hontendo 4DS) and a bunch of baseball games. After some chatting, he gives you a game system and expects you to buy his baseball games. (Check out the site: There are videos of all the included games.)

Each game is priced 400 yen (4 bucks thereabouts), but you can barter him down using items and your negotiating skills.
The first game can be reduced to half the price, but if you're not the haggling type, you can buy it right away at the full price. If you screw up in negotiations, he can go back on discounts, though.
The first batting game is really simple: Just tap the A Button and smack balls tossed your way. They change timing and trajectory to screw you up. (It's kind of like Rhythm Heaven, at least the batting and fielding games.)
To advance through the story, you need to buy a mini-game, though (one chapter a game).

The first batting game has 50 stages (ten variations in two sets of five with five levels of difficulty each). By advancing and by just playing repeatedly, one earns items and discount coupons for haggling down prices.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I DLed WU Fit last night from Japan without having a board turned on or tethered.
Did it late in the evening, so I've not yet checked it out.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
...That's like wondering why I can't pump more gas into my car when the fuel tank's already full.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
According to Iwata, they've figured out how to clear the technical hurdles for doing DS games on WiiU so they'll be adding DS titles sequentially.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Dehry posted:

E: Also, they are experimenting with making DSi Ware downloadable versions of DS games if the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Japanese Club Nintendo reward is anything to go by

Ugh, I hope they don't pursue it very far.
For DSiware to be operable, it has to reside in what appears to be 96MB of internal memory (out of the 128MB available, 32 is taken by the OS).
(Although it is possible to save DSiware on SD, you can't play a game off it. It has to be copied over to the internal memory first.)

That small internal memory translates to 1,055 blocks.
The JP Club Nintendo Plat gift of Advance Wars: DoR ate 426.

It fills up pretty darn quick.
I'd rather see them distributing DS titles through the proper 3DS e-shop channel so I can play them right off SD.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Art Academy: First Semester is the DSi version.
Get the proper 3DS one, and not this last-gen version.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Hakkesshu posted:

I seriously gave up on that poo poo because it was so lame. The Picross e games are kind of lame all-around. I wish Jupiter would get to make some actual proper Picross games with a budget again.

If you think the e series is lame, wait till you see D3 Publisher's attempt (the less said about Hudson's, the better).
The e series features puzzles that don't require any leaps of faith; not so with D3's.
D3's also has 20 x 20 puzzles, but the number clues are minuscule even on an XL.
I can't imagine how bad this game'd be on a regular or 2DS.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Froist posted:

So I was just playing through Picross e4 and got a strange feeling of deja vu - turns out they're recycling puzzles from earlier versions.

Exhibit A, e2 puzzle X15:

Exhibit B, e4 puzzle SO08:

Maybe it's just in these "Special Puzzles" that are opened up if it detects save data from the previous games, but what's the point if it's just the same puzzle again?

Those open if you've already bought e1 ~ 3.
It is kinda extraneous.

Also, I downloaded the FF Pictologica (for iOS and Android) developed by Jupiter.
It's this weird mix of RPG and Picross.
There are no field maps, just "quests" which consist of several battles.
To attack, you have to solve a 5x5 puzzle (random designs; no actual pictures). Screw up, and a party member can't attack that turn.
The faster you solve these puzzles, you earn points for special attacks.
Spells take several turns to charge.
The attacks are automatic, though you can choose the target.
There are four attack mode choices: Offense, Intelligent, Healing, Defense, each with different stat boosts and dumps.

Other than the weird battle system, you earn EXP and Rank Points.
To go on missions, you need to use Stamina Points that recover over time.
You earn items like extra jobs and crystals (used for what I don't know yet).
There's also alchemy, so I guess that's what items are for in part.
Jobs can be changed.
Each job icon lets you solve a 10x10 puzzle daily. These puzzles are of random designs, too.

It's free to play, but you can buy items for cash. (Haven't gotten to that level yet.)
You can also use items for getting Moglins to find you items.

It's a weird hybrid that doesn't always work.
It's compelling to play as a character-leveling exercise, I guess.

The music's the classic Uematsu stuff from the NES ~ SNES era, so there's that.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

ImpAtom posted:

There seems to be music from other eras too, I watched a video that had Blinded By Light from FFXIII.

Yeah, sorry, I should've qualified.
The music I'd heard so far. I'm level 5, rank 5, so presumably there's lots to go.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Japan's not likely getting anything this week because it's the height of the traditional obon summer holidays.
The country's largely shut down, workwise.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Club Nintendo Japan just announced their 2014 Platinum Rewards = 3DS Picross Plus and 2015 desktop calendar.
Gold gets just the calendar.
3DS Picross Plus consists of "over 100" (I think 105) new Picross puzzles including "many" Nintendo characters, and a bunch of Mega-Picross puzzles (in which number clues can straddle two lines and snake around).

As of this year, Club Nintendo Japan is dropping the platinum and gold ranks.
They're also going to stop giving points for hardware.
It sucks--they've been getting progressively chintzier.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I'm laughing about them enabling SUICA purchasing.
SUICA's a prepaid debit card, but it's primarily used as a rail pass (though it can be used at convenience stores and some vending machines).
Lots of kids are given SUICA cards for riding trains, so I imagine they can go hogwild in the e-shop.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

greatn posted:

Is Suica NFC? If so I wonder if they'd think of adding NFC payment options like Google wallet or apple pay in the west.

Yeah, it is.

This should make "accidental" SUICA e-shopping even more tempting.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

More news on the JP front: 3DS is getting Picross e6.

Yes! Just crunching through the MegaPicross mode on the JP Club Nintendo Plat reward Nintendo-theme Picross.
(Hope they release that as a regular Club Nintendo prize.)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Going back and forth on the messenger bag. Anyone had experience with older Club Nintendo messenger bags? It looks cool, but the chance to not spend money on Kid Icarus: Uprising or NSMB2 is pretty tempting.

Similarly, can anyone speak to the quality of the XL pouch?

If it's the same bag they had before, but with a different design I wouldn't do it.
It's very wimpy and not anywhere near the same weight or quality as their canvas tote bags.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

JP dudes, Zangeki no Reginleiv (Wii) is up on the Wii U eShop as of today. I think it'll be the first Wii DL game that you can actually play with the buttons on the Gamepad. For those who don't know, it's a game from the makers of Earth Defense Forse and is pretty much just EDF dressed up as a very liberal interpretation of Norse mythology. I can't imagine it'll be as fun now that the online servers are gone, but I guess it's worth a look either way.

They've also dated a couple more Wii DL releases for Japan: Pandora's Tower will be out on March 4, Sin & Punishment 2 will be out on March 26.

Zangeki's fun in a mindless way, the same way Hyrule Warriors is.
Since you're doing all sorts of hacking and slashing, I thought the Wii Remote way'd be more fun than using the pad, though.

I guess the maker's Sandlot, so they're the people who made stuff like RAD, Tetsujin 28-go (Gigantor), some DS robot driving sim, and Remote Control Dandy when they were still with Human.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I think you also get to shoot arrows and spells using the pointer, so I'm kind of skeptical about the pad.

It's hilariously bloody with giant ogre limbs flying and massive geysers of blood.
I'm astonished it was released by Nintendo.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Louisgod posted:

That's a total of 31. $400+.

Yes, but you see, since so many of them have appreciated in value such as Villager and Trainer, he has actually made money by spending money.
Funny how that works out.

...I bought three and ordered three more.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Those T-shirts are in JP sizes.

The ones costing 350 coins are kids sizes.
The 550 coin shirts are JP adult M and L, which is like US Small and Medium, if that.

I guess I'm going to shoot for a bunch of Major puzzles and use them as gifts or something.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
1700's hard to beat. Hell, even 2700's a pretty good deal, even relative to used.
I think I paid over 3000 each for Pandora and Reginleiv used, plus the usual 340 yen S&H.

Edit: Looked at Amazon JP a bit more closely. Turns out 2700's about what you'd pay for Pandora, Reginleiv, and S&P2 used with shipping.
DK Returns is around 2200-ish used, so the 1700 price was sweet, but not so much so at 2700 now.
On the other hand, Kirby's around 3500 used, so it's still a bargain at the regular 2700.

Since I already had Pandora and Reg, I just bought the other three at the introductory discounts.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 25, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Ultigonio posted:

Is there anyone here who might be able to make some sort of recommendation for Freakyforms? I'm kinda' between that and NES Remix 2.

In between the original Freakyforms and Deluxe, I put in over six hundred hours and counting.
I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, as opposed to snippets of 8-bit classics.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Ultigonio posted:

Okay, that's pretty convincing. On the other hand, it looks like the original version is the one the one they're offering for Platinum - is Deluxe significantly better that I should just grab that and use the plat reward for something else, maybe?

You're better off getting the Deluxe--more variation of parts, a new RPG mode, larger capacity for your own and guest creations. (Besides, it's probably dirt cheap.)
It's basically a creature creator, but with only twenty parts at your disposal, the challenge is more a puzzle than anything else.

Check out Miiverse or this JP site: http://createup.r.ribbon.to/cgi-bin/createup.cgi

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 1, 2015

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

epsilon posted:

What's boxboy going to run price-wise? I am a little disappointed its not crazy beautiful but I trust HAL lab to make it really loving fun

It should be cheap. It was only 600 yen in Japan (SNES games on WiiU cost 800 yen), so say around 5 bucks?
It is simple to play, requires almost no reflexes at all, and each puzzle can be completed in thirty seconds or so.
The most I was stuck on any given puzzle was around ten minutes.
I managed to complete all the puzzles, unlike Pushmo which I chucked after around 40.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

SereneCrimson posted:

So I just got to the credits in Boxboy. And opened up all the bonus levels.

Guys, this game is reeeeeaaallly good. Buy it!!
None of the levels up to that point ever really took longer than 5-10 mins. But it's super satisfying to figure out how to get through all the puzzles with the skills you have.

It's only $5, and I love it.

Yeah, it is a great little game.
There's a lot more stages after the credits, too.
None of the puzzles are too difficult or frustrating, either--I managed to 100% with all the crowns collected. (As opposed to Pushmo, which I quit after 40 puzzles or so.)

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

It recently came out that the guy credited with this song and many other songs was basically a massive fraud who faked being deaf and paid another dude to write all his poo poo. He was a big celebrity in Japan, it was a huge scandal.

It's a pretty amazing story. Wiki here.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

I just went and looked at the JP Direct and oh god the Pokemon VC games are getting a boxed retail release in Japan: (code in a box)

They also come with a foldout map, a set of stickers in booklet style like the original game manual, and a fridge magnet in the shape of the GB cart.
I may have to buy these, especially since they're coming out on my birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I remember the Australians and some unnamed Euro states being blamed for having to drop all references to gambling in Pokemon.
In Gen 4 (not sure exactly when) I ended up having to change the field trainer "Sasurai no Gambler (Rambling Gambler)" to something like Private Eye just because the graphic had a guy wearing a trench coat.
It was either that or change the graphic entirely, so we went with the path of least resistance and altered the text accordingly.
I'm not sure exactly which gen, but there was also some Cueball (? some bald biker) who wants to lay wagers or something on your performance.
I thought that totally fit the definition of gambling, so that had to be toned down.
I don't recall how exactly I worked around that, but it snuck by Legal and that's all that mattered.