Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I had a really weird problem last night, I was trying to play some NES games on the VC, which I guess I haven't done in the past 3 years, as my tv wouldn't display them. I had sound, but no picture. It turned out that the problem is that the Wii displays stuff in its original resolution, for NES games that resolution is too low for my tv to handle. The solution was, I think, to force it to upscale to 480i by hitting a button combination while on the Operations Manual screen.

Just wondering, does anyone know why Nintendo did this, instead of having games upscale by default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think that Goony trailer broke my eyes

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Why the hell is it $20, but €30/£25? :mad:

I already have it, but stuff like that is annoying. It's not 1990 anymore, we can see how much Americans pay for stuff, stop overcharging us.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

At that point though, are you not spending more money on petrol (not to mention the time spent) than you would have spent on the eShop versions?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Oracle games will be on the 3DS VC in North America on May 30th, too.

So I guess that means EU/AUS will get them at some point in the far distant future.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh I didn't realise there was an EU Nintendo Direct too. Was it today?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Which are the Guild.01 games, and are they any good?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

In a yearweek from now you will be begging for weekly releases as good as this one, let me assure you.
Fixed.

Can the WiiU access the same library of games which have been released so far on the Wii?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This free stuff isn't good enough
:goonsay:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I've never played either of them, so I'm looking forward to being able to grab them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

As someone who is really bad at Mega Man games, I'm guessing that I should not play Mega Man X.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

quote:

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
Nice! I have €10.01 in my eShop account right now, so I won't need to stick anymore in to grab both games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Welcome to Europe, where you don't need to do mental arithmetic when paying for things.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Annath posted:

Wait, are OoA/OoS out in the US? I don't have wifi at the moment, so I can't check.
They'll be out this week.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It has been running for a month or so now, PSN has been mentioning it in the weekly release updates in the regular 3DS thread.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah actually, I don't like Metroid Fusion, and Metroid 1 is kinda horrible, but I'd love to be able to play Super Metroid on my 3DS. :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

That's a pretty terrible week for WiiU eShop. Really disappointing after three weeks of really good stuff.
You should wait till that trend reverses before complaining.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I seriously can't believe they're sticking to just putting out 2 VC games a week. At this rate it'll take them four years to catch up with the Wii Virtual Console. Four. Years.
It's honestly ridiculous that the Wii VC library didn't carry over to the WiiU.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I don't have a 3DS registered with Club Nintendo.

If I download Animal Crossing today will it automatically register or can I delay that until July and earn 60 coins for next year?
You'll have to complete a survey before it registers the coins for you. I think at this point, the survey will expire past the end of June, so you can just wait until July to do the survey, and earn the coins for next year.

Just make sure your eShop account is linked with your Club Nintendo account.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Shelf Adventure posted:

For those in Europe waiting on a so many games download code for animal crossing, do not wait for an email. Log in to your Club Nintendo account and the code will already be there!
Oh my God thank you for this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.
You know that typically we get screwed over with release dates (or releases in general, hi every Atlus game ever, also Petit Computer) a lot more than the US, right? Just because we're getting Mario & Luigi first and got some Tingle game that NA never got doesn't mean you guys have it worse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pyrovile posted:

The update is broken for the majority of people anyway so you aren't missing much. When you go to buy the new games the Streetpass Plaza crashes and the 3DS has to restart.
Yeah this owns, thanks Nintendo.

Don't know why they'd hold it back in NA but not EU. It's not like we get tons of Streetpasses. Although I did get one today. :getin:

e: Although we're presumably not getting the relays here.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I was crazy confused when FFVII came out, especially since the PSX was Sony's first console. I'd never heard of the series before.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Anyway, Sega Japan just revealed two more 3D Classics-esque remakes for 3DS eShop: Ecco the Dolphin and Galaxy Force 2! Looks like they're planning on at least two other games, too. Surely Outrun/Afterburner have to make the cut at some point.
I could never figure out the appeal of Ecco the Dolphin.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

I really hope they at leas get Mega Man III, IV, and V on the 3DS eShop, because those three are among the best Mega Man games ever made.
Do you mean the GB ones? Because the NES ones are already on the eShop.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Any news on what's coming out in PAL-land this week?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Not sure if it had been announced previously, but NOE just Tweeted that the VC release of Shantae will be out on July 18th.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/355646607737360385

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Petit Computer is apparantley amongst the EU releases this week. Betting it won't appear in Australia.
Whoa, seriously? I'd given up hope on it ever appearing. The buzz seems to be kinda over for it, though. :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pushmo/Pullblox and Crashmo/Fallblox

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Zip posted:

Are we getting River City Ransom for NA release this week?

God I loved that game.
Probably, but you won't find out for sure until Thursday. It's out in the EU/AUS.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Which was the decent-ish Game Gear RPG which came out on the VC recently? I'm thinking of splurging on Petit Computer and a few other things.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Word of warning for PAL Wii U dudes - the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion only works if you buy Pikmin 3 directly from the eShop, apparently; if you buy a digital code from GAME or whatever it doesn't count. Lame.

Shining Force II: Sword of Hajya and/or Defenders of Oasis.
Yeah I'd forgotten about Shining Force. :negative: Guess I'll be buying a ton of stuff. I got Petit Computer, Shantae and Mean Bean Machine last night.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

What's that 10-in-1 Arcade Collection?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Game Gear emulator looks really nice. More features than the Nintendo systems one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't played any of the EO games, so I can't wait to try the demo of EO4.

Is it likely we'll get a demo of SMT4 too? Was there one released in the US eShop? I'd like to try that game out too since I've never played anything in the series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You've gotta be loving kidding, Ubisoft.
Hahahaha they are insane

Is it even retailing for that much?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

69.99€ is the standard retail price for PS3/360
Not here, I rarely see 360 games for more than €55 or €60

Amazon's always going to be a bit cheaper, but when Game and HMV were still around in Ireland you could get 360 games there for €50-55. Now that we just have Gamestop, you usually pay maybe €60 for them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Soul Hackers is new to EU, right?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Why would you expect to pay less for a current gen console game now, than a current gen console game 10 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Because every other HD remake game in recent years has either come in a collection with others or at a budget price. I fail to think of a single one that sold for over £30.

greatn posted:

I think he was being facetious. Though in Wind Waker's defense, I will say it's the best HD remake I've played with the most improvements to gameplay. (apart from Metal Gear Solid PSP one that added online multiplayer and automatically had much better controls benefiting from an extra control stick)
It's Nintendo, they sold Ocarina of Time for full price (for a 3DS game).

Box of Bunnies posted:

Uh everyone knows the first Sonic is the best of the Mega Drive games. Do Sonic 2 or 3&Knuckles have Star Light Zone? No? Didn't think so. :c00lbert:
I'm now listening to the theme from Starlight Zone, thanks very much. :argh: