Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Important playtester screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Gone Home has nicely done Steam trading cards and other weird Steam meta-stuff. A Trapper Keeper trading card is a good thing to exist.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

I still need to slog through Bioshock 2 to play Minerva's Den.

Minerva's Den is self contained enough that if you played BioShock 1, you're more than fine. If you own Bio 2 but don't want to complete it before playing Minerva's Den don't let that stop you!

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

There are few bigger wastes of time than trying to definitively, categorically claim that a creative work doesn't belong in a specific genre or classification. The creator of a work can say something about what they think about their work, critics can say what they want, and the audience can say what they want, and they can all disagree, but nobody's going to be right, so everyone should probably just drop a pair of their favorite deal w/it shades and go on with their lives. If you don't like a game butting up against your favorite games, cool good on you. Obviously other people DO like it, and it's not because they're confused sheep and you are the lord and savior of video games and their unsullied sanctity ... you just have different tastes.

(Eg: I don't think huge bombastic single player corridor shooters are really any different than Gone Home. From a raw "number of designed systems actively colliding with each other and the player to produce interesting results" standpoint, they're pretty comparable with the marked difference that your cursor shoots out pictures of bullets instead of an invisible physics hand into the world. I'm not going to go on some screed about it though because I think they're all games, just some of them are games that aren't for me because I find them dumb.)

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

the black husserl posted:

If you think charging 20 bucks for a game made with Unity is a scam then get ready to enter a sinister world with con men around every corner, because Unity is the future.

Yeah, "Pretty much a Unity game" might be code for "pretty much a 3D video game made by anyone other than a major AAA manufacturer or very very tech-centric indie" in about two years time.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah, back while it was still under construction it was commonly referred to as the 'Chunnel' in the media, and the name stuck for a while afterwards. Nowadays it's not really used anymore.

I think it's still used more commonly in the US because our only exposure to it was when it was being constructed and in the news.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Gaynor has said his aspirations were closer to My So Called Life than anything else, so saying "this isn't on par with adult literary fiction" may be a little harsh... but I think Bogost's writeup is more interesting and relevant as a lens to view the critical reception and discussion around the game (and all games). It's also generally encouraging to me because it's a reminder that - despite how much I enjoy and respect gone home - there is a ton of headroom left to grow.

Games' maturity as a medium is often compared to early comic books ("they were still just wacky entertainment for kids! They hadn't matured!" etc) but maybe comparing games to TV makes more sense. Maybe games now are at where TV was in 1995. TV was hardly an immature medium in 1995. It was in fact mega popular, mainstream, heavily funded and heavily profitable, but also completely defined by its own worn-in, self-set limitations when it came to what was produced. Sitcom, drama, soap opera, prime time action, etc, were basically unchanged formulas for two or more decades. Around the mid '90s we started getting things like Twin Peaks, The X-Files (and even some shows that weren't about creepy lights out in the woods) which didn't set the world on fire but showed that audiences could be hooked and grown based on structural and content choices different than the medium's norm (eg, in the case of the x-files: an ongoing multi season arc defined by both character and plotting). Looking at television now, it's kind of shocking to look back at what was great TV 20-25 years ago, and just like with games that is a trajectory I hope continues. It doesn't seem like there was ever a specific huge television revolution,* just audiences and creators discovering over time that they had seriously self-limited and that their medium was capable of a way wider band of content and experiences than they had been giving it credit for for years.

* the growth of TV in the 00s and 10s has also not eliminated traditional tv content. You can still watch laugh track sitcoms, daytime soaps, cheesy procedurals, etc, to your hearts content, but also you can watch The Wire or Girls or whatever else.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 29, 2013

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Gone Home's also 50% off for a bit here.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Fina posted:

I look forward to listening to the commentary. Some of the developer discussion so far has been pretty fascinating, plus it gives me an excuse to toss the drawers and empty the fridge again.

I took a screenshot of easter egg in The Stanley Parable if anyone cares.

Whoa nice. Is it that dark in the game?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Imagine the game kingturnip described but instead of people talking they are ambling about speaking modified Simlish and instead of a floating entity you are Noby Noby Boy, and you are describing Noby Noby Boy, which feels like a game to me even though it had no objective. It ESPECIALLY feels like a game when two players are playing, but yeah. Feels like a game the way a kid would say "playing house" in response to a parent asking what game they're playing -- a game as a weird ambling amorphous non-story constructed by the kids playing it, which ends only when they get tired of it.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like Mr. Freeze, as played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, has copious amounts of advice applicable to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Al! posted:

Oh that's nice, it's ice to meet you too.

And the one thing you quote is McBain.

Really, though, the easiest solution to all of this is for people to just be quiet. There are a lot of games which some people adore and some people have no response to whatsoever (basically all games minus the rounding error of a couple like Gone Home), so it's not hard. Because of Gone Home's mechanical content and its narrative content, people get understandably defensive, but really we're all adults here (or at least pretend we are). It feels like everyone has said their piece about five times over the last five pages. Whatever your argument is at this point, everybody either gets it, will never get it, or gets it but wishes to continue on with their lives unaffected by the presentation.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 5, 2013

• Locked thread