Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Now I'm looking up all the questions I didn't know and realizing that, if I had ever had the occasion or desire to find out who wrote Brokeback Mountain before this point, I would have remembered her name, because E. Annie Proulx is a really memorable name.

Also the capital of Wisconsin is Madison. Stupid Wisconsin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
UGH I put Sartre for Camus, then, as I was deleting it, I ran out of time. gently caress MY PISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I got far less of those questions than I'd like to admit.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

gently caress my :spergin: living. Got the little black dress one though

I blanked on that one. I picked Hyden for some reason

I picked Verdi for some loving reason. :(

And I probably should have known The Hunger Games. Blanked on Camus and kept trying to think of Rushdie's name.

What was the answer to the one about Celie or something like that? I went with 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' but I don't think that's it.

Hoosieroon
Dec 13, 2003

hootie hoosiers!
Queen Victoria's reign definitely did NOT begin in 1838, as the question claimed, it was 1837. I hesitated on this one thinking it was a trick but ultimately answered Victoria anyway.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

What was the answer to the eagle question ????????

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Abel Wingnut posted:

I picked Verdi. :(

And I probably should have known The Hunger Games.

What was the answer to the one about Celie or something like that? I went with 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' but I don't think that's it.

Google says The Color purple.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I picked Verdi for some loving reason. :(

And I probably should have known The Hunger Games. Blanked on Camus and kept trying to think of Rushdie's name.

I hope it's "The Color Purple"

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

gobbles posted:

Aerie, it's a big crossword answer

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gobbles posted:

Aerie.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Oh God, I said Federalist Papers. :bang:

I will never appear on Jeopardy, Christ.

gobbles
Oct 15, 2005

Aerith. dangit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Abel Wingnut posted:

Oh God, I said Federalist Papers. :bang:

I will never appear on Jeopardy, Christ.

That's okay. I said the capital of Wisconsin was "cheddar."

V Got 27 out of 50! :w00t:

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 9, 2013

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I finished with 42/50, not too bad. Here's the questions/answers.

1. Novel Heroines
This 1847 Charlotte Brontė title character gets a job as a governess (Jane Eyre)

2. Reality TV
This supermodel has hosted "Project Runway" since 2004 (Klum)

3. Scientists
In 1955 his polio vaccine was pronounced safe and effective (Salk)

4. African Geography
This country is bordered by Sudan to the south and Libya to the west (Egypt)

5. Ivy League Schools
Ithaca, New York is home to this university - Cornell

6. British History
In 1838 she began her decades-long reign as queen - Victoria

7. Shakespearean Characters
This king of the fairies likes to play with a Puck - Oberon

8. That's My Business
Steve Ballmer is CEO of this tech company - Microsoft

9. In His Book of the Bible
Boils sent by Satan are among the many tribulations of this man - Job

10. Get Your Drink On
It's the main alcoholic ingredient of a Cuba Libre - Rum

11. Six-Letter Words
A counting device using a frame set with rods and moving balls - Abacus

12. World Capitals X
It's the capital of Ukraine - Kiev

13. Name That Movie
Panem is the setting of this post-apocalyptic 2012 film - Hunger Games

14. Author! Author! X
He spent most of his 1895-97 jail sentence in Reading Gaol - Oscar Wilde

15. Ancient Rome
The first of these three wars between Rome and Carthage began in 264 B.C. - Punic Wars

16. Space Exploration
On August 6, 2012 this appropriately named robotic vehicle landed on Mars - Curiosity

17. Art and Artists
This American gave us the drip painting "Number 10, 1949" - Pollock

18. Newspapers
The team of Woodward and Bernstein came to fame working for this newspaper - Washington Post

19. Colorful Language
It precedes "fever" and "pimpernel" - Scarlet

20. 20th Century Literature
This 1982 novel tells the story of an African-American woman named Celie - Color Purple

21. 19th Century America
Gold found on this man's land in 1848 precipitated the California Gold Rush - Sutter

22. Online Games
In 2010 this Zynga game "grew" to be #1 in average daily users on Facebook - Farmville

23. Novelists
In 2011 he penned the bestseller 11/22/63 - Stephen King

24. Gemstones
July's birthstone is this red variety of corundum - Ruby

25. Mountains X
South America's highest peak, Mt. Aconcagua, is found in this mountain range - Andes

26. Pop Singers
In 2010 she was "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele

27. World Authors
During his sailing days, this "Heart of Darkness" author may have been involved in illegal gunrunning - Conrad

28. Scientific Discoveries
In 1953 Watson and Crick discovered the structure of this genetic molecule - DNA

29. U.S. Cities
It's the capital of Wisconsin - Madison

30. Classical Music
This "Four Seasons" composer helped develop the Baroque concerto - Vivaldi

31. Rhyme Time
An azure sneaker - blue shoe

32. Canadian Postal Abbreviations
"P.E." stands for this Canadian province that's off the North American mainland - prince edward island

33. Early America X
These documents served as our basic charter of government from 1781 until the Constitution in 1789 - articles of confederation

34. The Late 20th Century
In 1991, Slovenia and Croatia became free republics, breaking away and declaring independence from this country - yugoslavia

35. American Lit
Queequeg is a tattooed former criminal and harpooner in this great American novel - moby dick

36. U.S. Geography
This southernmost U.S. state is also one of the smallest in area - hawaii

37. Cable TV
TV shows on this cable channel include "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" - bravo

38. Weights & Measures
Used for measuring wheat and other grains, this unit of measure equals four pecks - bushel

39. The elements
Atomic number 92, this element named for a planet is an important nuclear fuel - uranium

40. French Lit
Works by this Algerian-born existential author include his masterpiece "The Stranger" - camus

41. "X" Marks the Spot
Fear of foreigners - xenophobia

42. Bodies of Water X
Though called a sea, this body of water east of the Caucasus is really the world's largest lake - caspian

43. Fashion X
This designing woman with the real first name Gabrielle introduced her classic "little black dress" in 1926 - coco chanel

44. Explorers X
A sea, a strait, and an island all bear the name of this Dane, who explored the Siberian coast in the 18th century - Bering

45. Political Parties
The African National Congress saw this man, its leader, elected president of South Africa in 1994 - Mandela

46. Modern Fiction
Young Susie Salmon tells her story from heaven in this Alice Sebold novel about [a/her] murder and its aftermath - lovely bones

47. "D" in Science
It's the process of evaporating a liquid and then condensing the vapor back into a purified liquid - distillation

48. At the Movies
Andrew Garfield helped reboot this superhero['s?] franchise in 2012 - spiderman

49. Contemporary Authors
"Brokeback Mountain" is one of the short stories included in this author's collection "Close Range" - proulx

50. Starts with Two Vowels X
Home for an eagle - eyrie/aerie

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
I ended up with about a 36, just barely passed. That is, assuming they don't mind that I spelled Chanel wrong. Or that I think I put two "t"s on Scarlet, like Johansson.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I got 40, 39 if they don't accept "distilling".

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I ended up with about a 36, just barely passed. That is, assuming they don't mind that I spelled Chanel wrong. Or that I think I put two "t"s on Scarlet, like Johansson.

They don't care about spelling, so you're good.

Edit: VVV :):respek::) 47 buddy VVV

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 9, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
If those answers are right, I just went 47/50!

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I thought the test was at 8PM for Central, tonight? The site says the test is closed. Can I still take the test tomorrow, or do I have to re-register?

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

The Monkey Man posted:

36. I believe a pass is usually in the high 30's?

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

Punch Card posted:

They don't care about spelling, so you're good.

Thank God. I hosed up a few that I should have known. I got thrown by the Egypt one's directions and put Algeria (still way wrong with Sudan), and I put "Rover" as the Mars robot's name instead of its actual name "Curiosity." I'm pissing right now.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

jscolon2.0 posted:

If those answers are right, I just went 47/50!

That's awesome, great job!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
looks like 36/50 for me (37 if they recognize my answer of purple=color purple)

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
drat it, 32 for me

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Thank God. I hosed up a few that I should have known. I got thrown by the Egypt one's directions and put Algeria (still way wrong with Sudan), and I put "Rover" as the Mars robot's name instead of its actual name "Curiosity." I'm pissing right now.

Would you would be the guy you'd be yelling at on the show while watching?

Also, reading those questions and answers posted above I got most of them, however I know I would have poo poo the bed while under the gun.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Island Nation posted:

(37 if they recognize my answer of purple=color purple)

They are unlikely to do this.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
34. Rats. What's passing, 36?

(Unless I actually put King for #23-- I actually can't remember, that's one of the ones where I just grabbed the first name that come to mind.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Only 35...drat. :(

I can't believe I blanked on easy ones like Madison, Cornell, and Kiev.

But as a corollary, I can't believe I did get The Color Purple, Vivaldi, and Jane Eyre.

Edit: Holy poo poo, 11 literature questions if you count The Bible as literature...that's loving bullshit. Absurd, even.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 9, 2013

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Monkey Man posted:

I am in the exact same situation; hey at least it's a "D" word.

Imagine Party Babyz
Apr 5, 2004

Ron and Fez Show, Peez Howd.
26/50 I'm so much better when answering the questions means nothing.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The Monkey Man posted:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I am in the exact same situation; hey at least it's a "D" word.

Jeopardy will accept different forms of a word, noun vs. verb, as long as they don't go against the category description (like Rhymes with *** or Contains ***).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
44! We'll see if that's good enough.

ElwoodCuse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 9, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I assume we get a new test each night, right?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oof, I wish I went tonight. Would've made it. Tomorrow hopefully will be just as okay.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
I got 47 right (and that's my transcript pasted up there!). But I've already been on Jeopardy; taking the test is just fun to me.

"Distilling" should be fine. Also, someone on jboard.tv said "yellow" for fever and pimpernel, and that should be acceptable too, since yellow fever exists, and there is such a flower as a yellow pimpernel.

edit: To those of you for whom the test or your computer or whatever crapped out, try e-mailing jthelp@sonypictures.com and they might be able to make it so you get a second crack at it for the Wednesday or Thursday test.

iS! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2013

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

escape artist posted:

I assume we get a new test each night, right?

Nope. Just the one.

Unless you meant, "is the test different for those who take it on the following nights?" In which case, yes.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Nope. Just the one.

Unless you meant, "is the test different for those who take it on the following nights?" In which case, yes.

Yeah. I meant that my questions for the Thursday test will be entirely different from the questions for the Tuesday test.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I got 24. :thumbsup:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DrBouvenstein posted:

^ ^ ^ Same here...:( ^ ^ ^

Ugh, 40 is the best I did...there were ten I know I got wrong/skipped, and another 5 I was iffy about.

I can't believe I couldn't think of Cornell.

V V V Wait, it was?! gently caress...wait, how is it not both? Is plutonium not named after pluto? Wikipedia agrees with me:
V V V

Pluto isn't a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
41, which is better than I expected and better than last time. I passed on at least 3 and got a couple wrong, but I stopped myself from typing "cocoa chanel" and maybe I'll get a bonus point for correctly spelling "deoxyribonucleic acid" in under 15 seconds.

quote:

Pluto isn't a planet.

But the element was named during the period when Pluto was considered a planet...

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 9, 2013