Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Huh, that explains it. I put in the zip code for the closest American city this year because I figured it was a glitch that it wouldn't accept my postal code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really appreciate that the keep giving me American Revolution categories to keep giving me the illusion I'm smart.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The lady was so happy when she got right answers! It was great. If only she got more of them.

Malkovich Junior looking like a TOC threat.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DrBouvenstein posted:

So...how long after the online test do they send out notices if they want you for the next round?

I'm assuming I would have heard by now? :smith:
For me, when i took the January 2013 test, they didn't get back to me until the middle of March for an audition in May. There still may be a chance you will get called for an audition, so keep your hopes up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

zakharov posted:

Malkovich Junior
Definitely Powder

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
So nobody else gets a season one Lex from Smallville vibe? I keep expecting him to talk about that jerk Clark Kent.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

So nobody else gets a season one Lex from Smallville vibe? I keep expecting him to talk about that jerk Clark Kent.
Never watched Smallville but Google Image Search suggests you're the winner

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

Getting more of a younger, balder Ned Yost vibe

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

And he's gone. Have we had a 5-time winner since the last TOC?

I don't know poo poo about Shakespeare so I was never getting that FJ.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they need to throw people that bet like morons into a pit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I, for one, am shocked that a naval officer knew the name of an island important to naval history.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Rip Jill :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And Navy Officer JJ Abrams :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Forgetting to buzz in before saying the right answer. Ouch!

Terrible answer to Final Jeopardy; good thing she didn't bet much. 4 years after 1776, and she picks Alaska?!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm fuckin Canadian and I know that Alaska wasn't a territory in the 1700s and Newport isn't the capital of Rhode Island

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yes, America settled Alaska in the 1780s. Get outta here.

Also, if you are the only one to get FJ right, and you still lose, you done hosed up.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I just got the email invite to audition on April 4. I'm loving terrified. I know I can't turn it down, but what if I actually make it on the show and say something so horrifically stupid it goes viral? Or I sound so weird that everyone talks about me like that lady with the weird voice thing? What if I can't stop myself from yelling "FUCKER" after every wrong answer?

Can someone reassure me how unlikely it is to make it on the show after the in-person audition?

I gotta go study, man.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Propaniac posted:

I just got the email invite to audition on April 4. I'm loving terrified. I know I can't turn it down, but what if I actually make it on the show and say something so horrifically stupid it goes viral? Or I sound so weird that everyone talks about me like that lady with the weird voice thing? What if I can't stop myself from yelling "FUCKER" after every wrong answer?

Can someone reassure me how unlikely it is to make it on the show after the in-person audition?

I gotta go study, man.

Congratulations! The audition is a ton of fun. I'm going to quote myself from 2014 describing the process.

zakharov posted:

I will be doing my third shortly. Here is what will happen.

1. A very energetic woman named Maggie will welcome you. She and her staff will take a photo of you and have you sign a bunch of paperwork.

2. You and the ~20 other people there will get another 50 question test. Clues are projected at the front of the room and read by one of the Clue Crew. You have 8 seconds to answer each one. Unlike the online test you can correct old answers.

3. After they grade the test, you'll be called up in groups of 3 to play a mock game with buzzers. In this portion, it DOES NOT MATTER if you get answers right. They are looking to see if you can speak loudly and clearly, answer in the form of a question, pick the next clue quickly, an follow their directions.

4. You'll be interviewed based on the 5 interesting stories they tell you to bring. They'll ask you about your job, one of your stories, and what you'd do with the money if you won. This is your chance to show them you belong on tv. Smile, show energy, speak up, and charm them.

After the audition, you'll be in the pool for 18 months. By getting this far, you've beaten the odds. About 100,000 people take the test. 3,000 are called to audition, and about 300 of those will make it on the show. With that in mind, the audition itself is lots of fun. Enjoy the experience for what is and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Good luck!

About 3,000 people get called to audition, and of those about 300 get called to be in the show. With that in mind, have fun at the audition and show them your best, energetic self. You've got nothing to be afraid of.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Yeah, it's a hoot. Just go have fun with a bunch of other nerds.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Propaniac posted:

I gotta go study, man.

Congrats! Don't take it too seriously, and you'll be ok. That's why they have these auditions and camera tests and all that. Just go have some fun, do your best, and if you make it onto the show, that's a bonus.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love how Trebek is clearly trying to talk to Rachel less and less each night. Personality black hole right there.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I didn't know Helen Reddy was Australian. I was stuck trying to think of Olivia Newton-John songs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Best part of the episode was Alex going "I don't know what that is" to "Back in Black" hahahaha

My best guess was Stayin' Alive, couldn't think of any solo Australian artists from that early.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

HookShot posted:

Best part of the episode was Alex going "I don't know what that is" to "Back in Black" hahahaha

My best guess was Stayin' Alive, couldn't think of any solo Australian artists from that early.

Although both AC/DC and the Bee Gees are known as Australian bands, they are both in fact made up of Brits.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Colonial Air Force posted:

Although both AC/DC and the Bee Gees are known as Australian bands, they are both in fact made up of Brits.

Olivia Newton-John was also born in England.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know if betting big when your winning in a runaway is ballsy or stupid but hey good work to the champ.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that was definitely uh a thing.

I wayyyyyyyyyy overthought that answer because obviously there was no way the answer to a FJ was going to be the obvious Columbus and oh boy was I ever wrong.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

HookShot posted:

Yeah that was definitely uh a thing.

I wayyyyyyyyyy overthought that answer because obviously there was no way the answer to a FJ was going to be the obvious Columbus and oh boy was I ever wrong.

Yep same. Overthought the whole drat thing.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

+

=

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I was thinking more like Brent Spiner in Independence Day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

gently caress Bill.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thailand isn't a island country, come on bro

Also what the heck is the Vale of Chamouni?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

It's now called Chamonix! It's one of the biggest/most famous ski resorts in France.

I almost said the aiguille de midi because of it then went "nahhhh it'll be mont blanc"

And that dude was hilarious. He thought he was so good at geography and it probably cost him the entire game. As soon as I saw the FJ category I said to my husband "he's gonna bet everything and get it wrong" and oh boy was he ever off by thousands of kilometers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there any good video compilations of worst final jeopardy bets? Like people who were runaway winners betting it all and losing? Or maybe doing the math wrong and losing by a dollar?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

HookShot posted:

It's now called Chamonix! It's one of the biggest/most famous ski resorts in France.

I almost said the aiguille de midi because of it then went "nahhhh it'll be mont blanc"

And that dude was hilarious. He thought he was so good at geography and it probably cost him the entire game. As soon as I saw the FJ category I said to my husband "he's gonna bet everything and get it wrong" and oh boy was he ever off by thousands of kilometers.

I'm normally really good at geography, but this Final killed me, because I couldn't place it at all. Of course, once it's explained, it all sounds so simple to puzzle out.

Still, I was yelling the answers to both of those Daily Doubles at the screen. The guy in question hasn't popped up in our Facebook former contestant group yet and I dunno if he ever will, so I can't ask him if he blew it all because he was overconfident on the subject or whatever...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

or just https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLgEPKYcHw

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

whoa

HookShot posted:

So you might say it's more of a Vail than a vale

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bill was insanely dumb.

how do norway and italy rhyme. what do they have to do with poland. how is thailand an island. how did you get on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

bill was insanely dumb.

how do norway and italy rhyme. what do they have to do with poland. how is thailand an island. how did you get on the show.

Nerves from being on camera can seriously gently caress a guy up.

Also, he was taking advice from Alex Jacob to bet everything when it came to a Daily Double and it didn't pay off.