Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PT6A posted:

Jesus christ that was an easy FJ.

That was seriously a loving joke. Any moron could have gotten that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Okay, which one of you is the ur-goon in the middle on today's episode?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

I don't care what he looks like. I hate any contestant where I can see them gesturing exaggeratedly to the camera while somebody else is answering a clue. It's loving obnoxious.

He was also jamming on the buzzer like he was expecting it to spit out a cup of coffee or something.

That dumbass wave he made to close out the first round made me want to punch my television.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Karen on today's episode has some serious crazy eyes going on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

1glitch0 posted:

I don't know what that buzzer did to that lady, but whatever it did it still doesn't deserve to be treated like that.

She was going at it like it was a Shake Weight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress's sake, Lindsey is once again hammering on the buzzer like she expects a cup of coffee to come out from her podium or some poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Holy poo poo, all three responses to Final today were beyond moronic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how much less of an advantage this guy would have if the people he was going against watched his games on a once a day basis like the TV audience.

I think it's been said that the people who are going up against him now would have seen his first few episodes by the time they taped.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

frogbs posted:

Also, I have a feeling that James is probably just going to gamble everything he won away!

He very strongly indicated that he's already well-to-do and that he comes from a very wealthy family in today's interview.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vulture Culture posted:

Devil's advocate: the clue mentioned the state he lives in, and Alex might well have given him the same treatment on the same clue if he lived in Carson City

It was also like the second-to-last clue of the round and it was already a runaway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

It just confirms what I suspected about James, he's a rich turd.

He has strongly hinted on past shows that he comes from an extremely well-to-do family. He's probably a trust fund kid.

I wonder how soul-sucking it must be for Johnny Gilbert to say "professional sports gambler" multiple times a day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

FB peanut gallery was very vocally up in arms about the former champ holding his buzzer too close to his mic and producing audible clicking again, once again demonstrating that people who complain the most have the least idea of how things work (the contestant coordinators tell us in the Green Room before taping to jam the shot outta those buzzers so we have the best chance of ringing in first, but people keep thinking that pressing the button once will allow you to make it instead, as if you would have perfect buzzer timing anticipating the lights every single question).

Hopefully, now that he’s lost, the complaints will die down again until they’re brought up against the next successful contestant who finds it more comfortable to hold their buzzer close to their chest or whatever.

Holy loving God, dude, we get it, you were on Jeopardy, and you met Maggie, and Alex, and this that and the other. All this "peanut gallery" bullshit is starting to get really nauseating. People are allowed to not enjoy things.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPColin posted:

For example: I did not enjoy Timby's post.

Put on a big ol' smile.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

Thanks for leading to my first red text av, btw. Hope it was :5bux: well spent.

Wasn't me, and anyway, to change one's own av is five bucks. To change another's is :10bux:.

MorgaineDax posted:

I remember when you promised to stop posting about owning the peanut gallery Boomers on the Facebook page and looking it up, that was 3 years ago. And it's embedded in my mind because of someone posting "don't mess with the J! Street Boyz" at you and it's a beautiful phrase.

I think he promised to stop after he said something like "we Jeopardy crew roll deep" and a bunch of people made fun of him for it.

Edit: Found it:

GhostStalker posted:

Know this: we Jeopardy! Contestants all have each others' back, and we do roll deep on social media.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HQ was founded by the idiots who came up with Vine and whose sole purpose is to scam money out of VC investors, what did you expect?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:laffo:

They roll deep

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh my God, only an idiot could have missed today's Final.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spokes posted:

yeah, i could see *maybe* not being able to pull the author but they didn't even ask for it!

I was mentally whiffing on the author but holy poo poo, the title? Come the gently caress on, it was in the cultural zeitgeist for like three straight years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teddybear posted:

Oh dang. Did anybody actually miss that?

Nope, but the kiddy college student made a stupidly low wager and lost to a goober with a Super Mario mustache.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, his wager was smart, he couldn’t outbid him so he bet on him getting it wrong, the best way to go. He could have bet everything, he would have still lost.

Almost positive that if he had doubled up he could have beaten the goober depending on what the goober wagered.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ogmius815 posted:

Until the $400 question was played I literally did not know what a lieder was. Music is my worst jeopardy area by far but I can’t remember being so stumped by any single category before.

Conspiracy-theory me thinks that they are very desperately trying to avoid another James run. The categories and clues the last few weeks have been brutal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vulture Culture posted:

Whoa, I got that incredibly vague final immediately

My guess was Shel Silverstein. Whiffed hard.

But, yeah, that was a vaguely worded Final.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cockblocktopus posted:

Is it too early to start saying the name "James Holzhauer"?

Jason doesn't have anything near the same betting style as James did, if anything he's much more conservative but he does have ridiculous control of the buzzer game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Eventually treatment just nets diminishing returns. :(

Yeah, pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Sounds like it's getting bad. I can't imagine the show without him.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1181240029089280000?s=19

Pancreatic cancer is almost always a death sentence, and it getting caught so late--I think it was Stage 4--really didn't bode well for him. I'm glad he's getting treatment, and it's not like he has a heavy work schedule (since Jeopardy! only tapes two days a week), but nearing 80, he will need to slow down sooner than later.

Today's episode was actually the first one in which I was able to hear the slurring in his speech that he mentioned in his interview, and it was pretty blatant. It's a huge bummer, but ... all good things must come to an end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edit: Double post.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Is it just me or has there been a different feel to the clues this season? There have been a lot of categories where it seems like they just doesn't fit in with the normal Jeopardy feel. Maybe some veteran cluemaker retired between seasons.

You're not wrong, a lot of the categories and clues have seemed far too cutesy and it feels like writers going "ha ha, look how loving smart I am."

Albino Squirrel posted:

I know that chemotherapy and radiotherapy frequently gives you a boost of energy as your tumors go into partial remission.

Speaking as someone undergoing treatment for a brain tumor that thankfully hasn't metastasized, yes and no. It's more that once you get through the hellish side-effects of each round of treatment, you feel like a new person again, just because you aren't spending all day either in bed or in the bathroom.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

vincentpricesboner posted:

So has the network said anything official yet that once Trebek can no longer host if they will reboot it with a new host or will Jeopardy as we know it stop?

Jeopardy is wildly popular and makes a poo poo-ton of money through syndication, because it runs in essentially every market known to man in the United States, no matter which network the channel is affiliated with, doesn't matter if it's NBC or CBS or ABC or FOX. I guarantee you there have been succession plans developed since before the minute Trebek publicly announced that he had pancreatic cancer, and there's no doubt that he disclosed the recurrence and his (almost certainly grim) prognosis when it returned before he did his TV announcement. But, again, that being said, Jeopardy is not an expensive show to produce; it runs for like nine months out of the year, but they've been taping five episodes a day for two days a week since God knows when.

I am absolutely certain that Sony and CBS have, either jointly or independently, very quietly auditioned prospective hosts (as well as announcers; Johnny Gilbert is 95 so he's already well-beyond borrowed time in terms of male life expectancy). Because as much as it sucks to imagine, Trebek has probably taped episodes into ... I don't know, maybe early January at the farthest but more likely December-ish, but he himself admitted that he's running out of time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Craig Ferguson.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Ken has too controversial a twitter feed for Jeopardy's old people fan base.

Beyond that, Ken Jennings has a far too pervading "look how loving smarter I am than you" vibe. I'd bet money that he's auditioned, but the producers aren't going with a weirdo like Ken, and James would be the most annoying host in television history, if for no other reason than he'd be getting wildly pissed at contestants taking too long to pick a clue (and he'd probably be going insane at betting strategy and then he'd leap out from the podium to throttle someone the minute he realized they didn't have their buzzer game going).

I believe Trebek mentioned Laura Coates, from CNN, specifically, as a potential replacement, and I wouldn't have an issue with that in any way. Especially because Trebek himself has said that he fully expects the new host to be a woman.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 19, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

He got canned over supposed sexual abuse charges, but was cleared.

Cleared by an an investigation funded by his wife's family. The Hearsts.

Yeah, those Hearsts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I want to punch Daryn.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

By all accounts Alex isn't taping five shows a day anymore and is having a lot of trouble getting through the shorter days. He's fighting through, but it certainly sounds like he's having a rough go of it now.

I've heard the same thing. He's going to have to step down soon and I would bet money there will be an announcement of a new host soon, possibly as soon as at the end of the Tournament of Champions, just because he'll have had at least a few more weeks of shows already taped and we can all cry for a while.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Was that a way too easy FJ for a tournament game or is the idea that the number given tricks you into disqualifying the obvious correct answer?

I think they were trying trick people into guessing the Battle of Thermopylae because of the Sparta thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t want to blame Trebek and his cancer treatment/chemo making him stumble a bit verbally or decision wise, but that seems to be the case. Maybe it was the judges loving up instead? Alex’s voice seemed a bit rough during the intros.

Shame about Final and Mohammed writing out too long of an answer that he couldn’t finish it. 95 Theses should’ve been enough, if they took Luther’s Theses from the champ. Scores seemed pretty low going into Final as well.

Scores were low because all three contestants were whiffing on easy gimme questions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

abelwingnut posted:

i’m not sure theodore has ever interacted with humans in the last five years.

He was the most beep-boop robot person I've seen on the show in quite some time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Today's show:

Holy poo poo, Kirby was visibly pissed-off during Double Jeopardy, especially when Dagmar got the last Daily Double. I didn't expect her to have a monster run because she face-planted badly in the Jeopardy round yesterday and got saved by going ham in Double, but holy poo poo, she gave some boneheaded responses today.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Man, Alex's voice has been sounding really rough on yesterday and today's shows. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spokes posted:

yeah, whenever he misreads a clue they'll have him read it again during a commercial and dub that in on the broadcast

Right. And on yesterday's show, at the end, they didn't do the camera shot on his usual farewell, they just kept the close-up on Karen. Alex's voice was gravelly and raspy throughout almost all of today's show; at this point, I'll be shocked if he makes it beyond this season's tapings before stepping down.

Edit: And I'm not bagging on Alex, at all. I had brain surgery last year to remove a tumor that I was initially told was inoperable. His fight has been my fight.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 4, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seiyal posted:

Definitely curious to see this in primetime since I can't catch the show when it normally airs. While there's nothing that can replace the theme song/FJ theme, I have grown to like the version they're using for the ads for this.

https://twitter.com/ABCNetwork/status/1211816622337318912

(Apologies in advance, as this link's been giving me fits for some reason. It's also the clearest I've been able to hear the music without narration over it, so far.)

This is driving me nuts for a totally pedantic reason. You don't write "$4.5 million dollars," because dollars is already indicated by the dollar sign. It's either "4.5 million dollars" or "$4.5 million." :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird watching people still wager like wimps. It was dumb before James came along but it's SUPER dumb after his run. Or am I dumb and the current folks wouldn't have seen it before they got on?

James' run aired from April - June last year. The episodes that are airing now would have been taped in late November or early December. Every contestant would know who James is.