Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The finals felt all over the place. A few super easy ones and then the Liberia one, which I doubted myself on because I didn't expect them to think teens would know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm just appreciating that Brad's getting kind of dunked on. I figured that he'd dominate the competition. I know he didn't mean much by it, but his feature ending with him saying that he didn't really have to study, that it was just a good luck ritual, has already aged like fine wine :kiss:.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Spokes posted:

He researched, wrote, and published a book on Internet comedy without realizing some of his old tweets were tone-deaf, okay.

(it’s overdue and a good move but I don’t see why he’s dressing it up, just admit you want to clean up to host jeopardy it’s not a big deal)

Yeah, I'd bet it's the PR approved one to get people to stop talking about it. Plus from reading the replies apparently some Trump supporters are pissed at him for making fun of Republicans with incredibly mild jokes so it's probably meant to be a general clean sweep for a wide audience.

I'm not going to be able to dig it up quickly, but last time this came up he basically said the same thing more plainly with regard to the bad wheelchair tweet. That it sounded funnier in his head, he realizes that it sucks and was offensive and mean-spirited, but he felt it was dishonest to just delete it and pretend he didn't screw up. :shrug: It could also be his appearance on The Chase or general rising profile caused somebody to tell him that unless he wants it tweeted at him daily he needs to make a clean break.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not particularly great at Jeopardy, and even I was stuck on "It can't possibly be that dumb of an answer, right" for the whole time. I thought they'd at least want like, a specific branch of the church.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I know in my brain that it's just other people being very different from me and my circle, but I can't help but :tinfoil: that every supportive account that I've seen on Reddit or Twitter has the same bizarre marketing speak about Richards. I've barely seen anyone just say that they liked him or that he was fine like a normal person would. People have asked me about how I've liked the guest hosts. I'd say things like "Ken was fine" or "I was really surprised by Buzzy. I kind of liked his energy and I thought I'd hate him as a host." That's how I see most people talk about the other hosts too.

But for Richards, it's always a paragraph of how he had clear diction, and was a great surprise and a true natural with a welcoming personality and he's just so handsome with great hair and he was their favorite all along. It all feels really seeded and fake and it's loving with me.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 5, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And some people, like me for example, were annoyed that people and media were going nuts over a dude just doing the most basic strategy and acting like he was a Jeopardy god. There was a huge media push over the "OMG HE DID A TIE ON PURPOSE!" moment.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

i say swears online posted:

and your final jeopardy topic will be "19th century supr-"

"dred scott"

When I heard the category I called out Dred Scott from the kitchen, then decided that that was too obvious and went for Amistad. Screwed myself out of a psychic win.

Also how do you pull Madison instead of Dred Scott?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder if it was one of those where it was so easy that it threw everyone off. I would have only gotten it right because I couldn't think of any other state that worked.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Timby posted:

Bialik over-enunciating Spanish words because there's a Hispanic contestant in the game today is making my eyes roll so hard I'm afraid I'll concuss myself.

Glad it wasn't just me. Very, very embarrassing Peggy Hill energy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Wait is this airing at another time slot or something? I've just been getting normal episodes on my dvr recordings.

Yeah, it's a full hour at 8PM on ABC as their primetime answer to the Olympics. Got to say, 90 minutes of Jeopardy is way too much in a day. I'm so zoned out by the second college game.

Also is it just me or is the difficulty all over the place in the tournament?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

None of them got Reign of Terror? It took me a second to remember what it was called, but none of them?

Wonder if they would have taken The Terror which was all I could think of? Only defense is that that was broad as hell and it took me a second to get to the right country.

On the college tournament no one knew Basic Arlington trivia...really thought everyone knew that it was Lee's land.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Why do the leaders keep betting everything in Final Jeopardy

It is weird that after a pretty long run of reasonable bets they've just fallen apart in the last couple of weeks.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Wild stab that they're trying to sell t-shirts and swag, at least from the subtitle. You can microtarget like crazy with ads on Facebook, so it's possible they're sending the ad out to all Jeopardy fans figuring that Facebook jeopardy fans are ripe for some anti-Mayim shirts.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
This article gets into it a little. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jeopardy-mike-richards-price-is-right-1235006082/

Basic answer is that he started getting really shady with it. He decided to start featuring luxury prizes on the Price Is Right despite not really having the audience for it. Since fashion brands also didn't think they had the audience for it, they refused to provide prizes. So he just had people go buy them at outlets, which got them lots of cease and desist letters and left contestants on the hook for full retail price taxes on outlet mall stuff. And since things like luxury shoes weren't actually provided by the brand, it was a "lol sucks to be you" if they didn't fit.

At the same time he started allowing staff to buy leftover items (presumably at a big markdown). Like leftover shoes that didn't fit contestants or leftover handbags that they didn't want to pay fat taxes on along with the usual prizes that contestants don't want.

And he fired all the old staff who would have had a problem with this major change in the rules and put his own people in.

Probably nothing actually actionable or criminal, but impressively iffy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:efb ^ :same:

Counterpoint, it's not. It's just a way to disrespect somebody that you don't like (or playfully refer to someone that you do) and assigning any insult of a woman to misogyny kind of sucks in its own way.

Also I wish they'd give a more formal answer on that Harriet Tubman judgment thing. Does the screen hard turn off at the end of the timer or can you keep writing? I saw people say that the judges could see the exact spot she stopped and that she might have had less than what was shown. Just curious, because it seems like it sucks to effectively punish someone for cursive. Counterpoint, that's why you just start with the drat last name.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always thought they were way too strict in Final Jeopardy - I remember one years back where a guy lost because he either added or forgot a syllable in Mediterranean Sea but everyone knew what he meant and if it was vocal he woulda got it.

Yeah, I understand that there have to be strict rules or you wind up with unfair judgments in the other direction at some point, but these edge cases hurt.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also people who played/watched a lot of Metal Gear Solid.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

HookShot posted:

After Arthur they changed the rule so there’s a tiebreaker question now.

It makes a kind of fascinating problem since the tiebreaker is just straight luck/reflexes anytime I've seen it, so if you think that you know the category you should probably just bet. But how awful would you feel betting a dollar and losing on the final when you could have just forced a tie.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CPColin posted:

^^^ no

It was once New Amsterdam, if that helps. Don't ask me why they changed it.

I guess they just liked it better that way.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Not loving the push for more tournaments either. At least the celebrity ones are just bonus ones you can ignore.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not sure why I expected better but Celebrity Jeopardy was awful. Not sure who's idea Triple Jeopardy was but Jesus does the game just drag.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's just extra awful because Wheel of Fortune already figured it out. Just play 2 games! if you absolutely have to draw it out for 3 months, then just have the celebrities play twice and make it a combination game. Or do double elimination/loser's bracket.

I guess they'd be stuck writing an extra batch of easy clues.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I really do wonder if Andy backed off on answering questions in the third round. Maybe he just got tired or zoned out but he seemed to slow down out of nowhere and I wondered if he didn't want to make it a complete blowout. The game only wasn't a runaway by a little bit from Simu catching up in that time and then, lol on the final.

But yeah, for the final I was stuck between the two and couldn't remember if the Vatican technically had a coast (my geography sucks) and only went with it because I didn't think they'd expect celebrities to know about Liechtenstein.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Although he could do the big double because of his strength in the game. Even if the 16K got wiped out he only had to claw back $5k on a pretty full board to get back to first. It took forever for 2nd place to get on a roll and challenge him.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Jokymi posted:

I gasped out loud at that final reveal. I thought for sure the tournament was about to end. Good for Sam!

Edit: After reading some discussion, Amy's bet makes more sense. She was making sure that Andrew wasn't able to get a 3rd win no matter what else happened.

Yeah, plus they've had some nasty questions and triple stumpers so being cautious probably makes more sense. Still a surpise though. Really cool that Sam got to win one especially after being down $2,800 at the start. Hell of a comeback.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The Triple Jeopardy setup for Celebrity Jeopardy is just terrible. Either do 2 full games or just do one 30 minute episode and get more celebrities/shorten the tournament. Or get people who can at least do funny banter if you're going to slow the game down to a crawl. Maybe they did :shrug: I stopped watching after the first couple of games were so bad. Celebrity Wheel of Fortune had Kristen Schaal and Ron Fuches on for a game and the banter managed to actually be funny, so I assume it is possible.

Zero One posted:

Congratulations Amy!

That seemed like an easy Final compared to some of them we have seen this tournament. So many supporting hints in the clue.

I actually managed to guess it from the category for once which was interesting for a Tournament of Champions question. But I also figured that the pool of plays that they could draw on was shallow. Still did a little laugh when I saw 1864 and Washington and was happy that I said it out loud for psychic credit :).

Happy for Amy and happy that Sam at least got to win one. Also really cool that it was a series of competitive games. Hope they stick with the First to 3 system, it kept it a lot more interesting.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 22, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Only thing I can think is that their minds got stuck on the other side of the world with "island" and didn't think to focus on the military program/cocktails.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, seems like most people pegged it as a Spielberg vanity project and another movie about making movies and it didn't make much of a splash outside of film nerds. Swing and a miss, but I guess they're calling their shots early.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Timby posted:

Michael Davies, the show's executive producer, loving loves him some tournaments.

Do you think this was supposed to be a primetime tournament and ABC laughed them out of the room? Cause 3 weeks is a long time for this.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I can't remember, did they always leave the card in frame? I was wondering if the current editor didn't like her, because drat does it look terrible for her to just be openly reading off of a card like the kid who didn't take 10 minutes to memorize their bit of the presentation.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Wow, I thought that had to be another local thing like when Casey Anthony killed her baby. Definitely doesn't warrant national coverage.

They really wanted it to be the new OJ trial. The stuff around the case does seem pretty crazy and worth a mention for True Crime circles. I missed the start so I've only gotten scraps of it, waiting for somebody to put together a real retrospective without the rumors and mess. But yeah, weirdly funny to hear afternoon news gushing about how the defense had done a great job and that it might be a real nailbiter only for the jury to shrug and say "Well, they're not buying us dinner so let's just wrap it up. He obviously did it" after a few hours. News must be pissed that they lost out on days of speculation.

Also contestant response is super annoying because if anything it's been the opposite for me. I keep telling myself that I'm overreacting and then when she comes back she just sucks so much as a host, even if I'm fair and say that it's also the writers just struggling to help her.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Also quiz shows, and it feels like especially Jeopardy, love the whole "Did you know they used to hate the Eiffel Tower :D" so it was crazy easy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, wouldn't have though "US Landmark that has the 2 lanterns" would be a stumper, but I guess if they didn't have to learn the poem in school it wouldn't be burned in their brains. Still a little weird that they weren't even close though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:shrug: Letterman/his company did their own deal with the union and Conan's strike performance was best known for a running gag that was him making fun of how much the show sucked without writers and that they needed them back.

It's not like Ken is now cancelled or whatever, it just kind of sucks that he undercut her. No idea if the WGA actually wants to shut the production down though, guess we'll see if they picket when it's time.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 12, 2023

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

HookShot posted:

Given as Sony has an active picket line and that to get to the set Ken has to cross it...

I was in college last time there was a strike and didn't especially give a poo poo, but yeah, while it might not *technically* count as scabbing it's a lovely look.

Yeah, if we're going to be pedantic it's not scabbing, just potentially crossing a picket line.

But also, yeah, going to be funny if this is a monkey's paw wish where Ken gets the permanent hosting gig because they're pissed at Mayim for not backing the show.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I've enjoyed the Masters Tournament and seeing these champions again, but Jeopardy is milking it with this particular 'class' of champions. Not to pick on him but just as an example: this is at least the third or fourth time we've seen James. People are going to start getting tired of the same faces showing up.

Don't worry, they're already planning another run of Celebrity Jeopardy to mix things up as part of the strike-breaking fall lineup :).

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

I made the mistake of reading a story about last night's show on Fox News. Apparently all three contestants missing the "hallowed" question meant the country was doomed.

That was a baffling triple stumper, since my atheist rear end knew it just from hearing it shouted out by people in movies.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

Boy, today might've been the worst Jeopardy round I've seen in ages.

I thought to myself that they may as well have just not played the first round. Only $3,200 total left won after a whole round.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
The celebrities have just been so bad on the whole. I haven't watched much this round after I didn't like the last batch, but I checked the celebrities each week and haven't seen a batch that I wanted to watch. I know you're not getting A-listers but they could at least get entertaining people. Wheel of Fortune had the same problem for their celebrity games. They had one or two fun ones with comedians and a good energy, and then it's just a bunch of people who seem like they don't want to be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I always figured that we'd get a monkey's paw wish where Ken got the job partially because Bialik decided to actually do a solid thing. But also hopefully it's the ratings confirming that she wasn't anything special.

Still happy, just gonna enjoy the W. Although I've only been half watching Jeopardy these last couple of months. These tournaments just aren't grabbing me.