Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

HookShot posted:

I'm not surprised the question disappeared, just because there's no editorializing doesn't mean it's not hard for some people to read questions about an ongoing genocide.

It's the same reason why a lot of women insisted that there not be questions about Dobbs v Jackson in the aftermath of Roe v Wade being overturned. You don't want to read about lovely things happening to you/people close to you/people from your same demographic while they're still happening.

I understand and agree, i'm not some nut who thinks questions that are uncomfortable or in bad taste need to be included in quiz and i think "both sides" (ick) could have some legitimate gripes about the question.

I just think the way it was handled was exceptionally poor and if you choose to run the question, take answers all day, and score it, it's not reasonable to pretend it was never asked. (and people *are* starting to post on the LL boards about it to the point where hopefully we'll get some sort of statement which is really all i'm looking for.

anyway, uk jeopardy's on--go ~~~~~~emma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the question has been restored (behind a spoiler link) and there was a largely-reasonable statement made about it by the commissioner so i will put my pitchfork down for today.

anyway i'm out of my non-compete with the chase in 3 weeks and the game show dogs are BARKING. gonna try for Wheel, and if that doesn't work out i'll hope they're doing season 2 of The Floor or something, and if that's no good i'll go try to win ten grand on whatever interchangeably watchable-but-samey show GSN is taping now or something. love trivia

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I think your perception of the floor is justified as they definitely have struggled to fill some of these categories with stuff that requires a little knowledge.

But some of the duels have been quite good—movie quotes from this week, complete the book title, horror movies, etc—I thought spices and tourist locations from this week were also great, come to think of it. it’s very hit or miss. I am concerned that the epic finale is just going to be a series of these very stupid categories and it flops. I’d like to see some changes for the inevitable season 2 (from what I understand the ratings are quite good) but I’m really enjoying both the show structure and at least a portion of the duels.

I think if “name what you’re looking at” is not engaging to you as a watcher that’s perfectly fair and there have been some real clunkers. But I also think it’s interesting enough to at least speed through on Hulu if there’s nothing to watch.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i found this early draft of house of leaves

demented scrawlings of a broken man

yarn-and-all conspiracy theory board

explanation of upcoming Jeopardy programming here: https://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/roadmap40.html

looks like it's three weeks of another champions wildcard then a month of TOC then some sort of invitational and then, maybe, someday a new player or two?

Timby posted:

Non-tournament play doesn't resume until late March or early April, I believe.

looks like 4/10 is the likely date for first new players yeah

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

It’s so loving corny that he apologized lmao

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the finale of The Floor was very good, i do not know where this show was for the previous eight weeks but i recommend watching it (it's a two-parter). it feels very much like a quiz show for maybe the first time and there is extremely good play and a lot of tension. i guess if you cast 75% non-quizzers minimum you're going to get a lot of filler but they really stuck the landing

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bloody hell.

Figured out where they were going in Final Jeopardy. Even knew the colonial name. Guessed Guyana instead of Suriname

suriname = dutch tends to come up reasonably often in J! (roger craig's insane ToC back-to-back true daily doubles come to mind)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Spokes when are you going to compete on the Floor?

when i'm not dead money in a full third of those categories lmao

El Jeffe posted:

Well done ___Ike___, wow!

:emptyquote:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

babe wake up it's a troy day

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

well, the tournament of champions only runs for, uh, somewhere between 6 and 10 more episodes. and then there's...only one more tournament! but next tuesday will be the start of regular episode taping again (per this website which i have not done anything to verify: https://jeopardy.mattcarberry.com/roadmap40.html)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

it was fine

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the field for the Big Invitational Tournament is revealed, some nice surprises:

https://www.jeopardy.com/track/2024/invitational

I think by design this is distinct from jeopardy masters so the folks on the shortlist for that (i assume Brad, Julia) aren't here but that's just speculation

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

TelevisedInsanity posted:

If your money in the game EXCEEDS how much we are offering you in a tournament. if you win, you get that amount instead (so if you made 23k, 32k, 17k, 8k 30k, you're getting 110,000 instead of 100,000)

they do this if you do it in the finals, actually

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

if you win the first three games of a "best of seven", you don't win!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

you're arguing that "best of seven is just what you call any competition where seven is the maximum number of games, regardless of number of participants or games required to win"

i think a lot of people including myself would interpret that differently, but if you're locked in on that interpretation then yeah this is a clear "agree to disagree" and we don't need to waste any further time

anyway, cool finals so far. i hope they keep asking fun questions and there is more cool trivia. also i hope they stop interviewing yogesh after the first commercial but that seems unlikely. can't wait for the invitational

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CPColin posted:

I mean, what else could the "of seven" part of the phrase possibly mean?

it's how many games you have to win the "best of" (i.e. more than anyone else) to win the set

Pinterest Mom posted:

Really feels like "true daily double" breaks the game quite a bit, at least for good players. Hercules and Africa??

yeah it makes for really exciting TV moments but players have figured out that high-variance events that go your way 90%+ are good

80 TCA as of today btw, this season hasn't really landed well for me

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

thirty years ago, i experienced the internet for the first time as an elementary school child. my father was a pre-eternal september guy who was convinced that this crazy world wide web gizmo was going to change the world. i didn't really grasp it at the time and only experienced it over his shoulder for a few years, but by the late 90s i was equally addicted to the stupid beep beep boop box that turned the house phone off. in 1997 i was posting on the nintendo dot com loud house message board, an unmoderated hellscape that probably hosed me up more than every shock site/video combined (aren't we glad THAT'S mostly over???)

in one way or another, i've interacted with millions of other net-users in the ensuing decades.

there is something so pure, so raw--such an unadulterated shot of nostalgia about seeing people have such an intensely stupid debate about the meaning of made-up phrases with whatever meaning is convenient for the argument at the time.

the stakes are absolutely nil. no one cares. there are more pressing issues in nearly every facet of everyone's life. and yet, i can't turn away. please continue. you are all one well-crafted post from changing everyone else's mind and being hailed as the savior of the jeopardy thread. ken can't wait to hand over the mic to whoever comes out of this looking smartest. you're all brilliant and we need you to :justpost:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CPColin posted:

ur ded at gooncon

Edit: I think I'm out of ways to explain it anyway. If people aren't going to agree with me by this point, they never will (and I'll see them next year).

the finals of the invitational is a first-to-two so uh see you in two weeks

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i don't really have many thoughts about all this i care about people hearing. troy and yogesh are both among the best quizzers in the world and i'm not shocked at the result. i know this was something yogesh wanted a lot and i think it's cool that he won even if some of the things he's said (about jeopardy and otherwise) have been obnoxious, but glass houses etc

anyway i got demoted in LL and i'm back to thinking quizzing is a big joke with no skill component and anyone better than me is a tryhard dork and everyone worse than me is stupid. also im gonna try to get on trivial pursuit

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

the zuff returns to disgrace my tv today huh (jk big fan, hope he wins but like the other contestants a lot too, just excited for some good J!)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't have a problem with He but I'm sick of tourneys.

yeah and you could definitely see last night that playing two dozen tournament games or whatever in the past couple years is a pretty large advantage, kind of bummed because i was hoping for another Pam run. I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to get through the grinder of the folks who have been basically playing jeopardy as a career since covid. but like Hookshot mentioned, Victoria has the skills to do it and i hope she crushes

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i do appreciate that the show is countering complaints of seeing the same players over and over by reminding you just how dull the "old" champions were. "oh, they didn't like seeing andrew he for the twentieth time? put alex jacob back on the telly. they'll be begging for two more weeks of buttery before they know it. uh, also put andrew, amy, and sam in that tournament, of course. i'm not stupid.,"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah some really baffling gameplay decisions this week, players going to columns where the DDs can’t be, etc. but good jeopardy. Test is open to everybody today btw

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I think they just pull 50 random questions from their database for each test taker now—I felt like it was quite easy, got 48/50

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

after todays result it would be funny if after all this it just ended up being a 2022 TOC/Masters rematch of Amy, Andrew, and Sam

i think sam is the weakest of those three and victoria's an absolute monster so i'm crossing my fingers

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

okay, davies, you win. i'll watch as much andrew he as you want to put on my television

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Guess I'll be skipping that one, not a single person on that list I like.

shocking

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i've been pretty tuned into news about the most recent chase season (for some reason, who can say :smuggo:) and haven't heard anything confirming either cancellation or renewal, though i'm guessing the former is more likely

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I’m a James fan, I think he plays at a level unmatched by anyone besides Ken and maybe Victoria (way too soon to say.) from that standpoint I’m happy to see Amy because she’s very good and she might challenge James, but I do think it’s weird that she was the invite after losing the last Masters and the JIT—two events that by design populate Masters. Maybe they were banking on Brad and he bailed and they had to scramble, idk. Give Mike Richards the sixth spot or something. I’ll watch whatever, my opinion shouldn’t matter. Go Victoria.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Practice playing Guitar Hero, folks.

as one of the best dance dance revolution players to ever take the jeopardy stage (with unimpressive results) the couple weeks since Victoria's interview have been a very novel hell

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

welcome, Yogesh, to the brotherhood of Knowing When It's Time To Let Go Of That Hairline; we are proud to count you among our members

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

dovetaile posted:

Why is Yogesh even in this Jeopardy masters tournament?

They need somebody with a shot of challenging James

and then, after inviting Victoria, they had another slot open

I do like the ToC champion getting a slot in the big primetime tournament, otherwise we’d just be getting Davies playing with his same four favorite toys every year lmao.

Also to be fair I think Yogesh is a top ~10 quizzer worldwide and I like watching good players battle. Building on that point I think this is a very interesting tournament because it’s three people who really came from the competitive quizzing world and three who more or less started on Jeopardy—I expect James/Victoria/Yogesh to absolutely eat everyone’s lunch but the rest of the tournament is obviously very competent and am upset wouldn’t shock me. I’m just excited for good games.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

i don't like it when people say "presented without comment" in general but please allow me to present this without comment (it's a public post and i'm sure he would love for more people to see it. also i guess this is "with comment")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

he's arguing that because people don't take his PTSD seriously (as he appears to believe they do in other sports) jeopardy isn't a sport.

his PTSD is from getting banned from a local trivia spot in Portland. he argues that this is because he is not white, while the trivia organizers say it was because of his behavior. you can read his take on it here, if you would like.