Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

I coach my students' high school Scholastic Bowl team, and I'm always honestly shocked at how much harder and more specific the questions for a high school competition tend to be than Jeopardy! is.

High school students also have the benefit of studying a lot of that material as basically their jobs and it's all in pretty recent memory, plus with 10-12 people up there total you've got good odds on someone knowing a specific detail.

Where it really differs from Jeopardy! is in the math content, because probably all but one person on a high school quiz bowl team is in calc or pre-calc. Every third question was probably a math question when I did quiz bowl. Math was a popular subject for the bonus questions as well since they were multi-part ones and you divided the work among the whole team.

We had cheat sheets like the aforementioned and spent portions of practices going over those common trigger words and their answers. Persian poet = Omar Khayyam, Southern author = William Faulkner, Elizabethan = start thinking Shakespeare, etc. One time during the league season I was watching Jeopardy! and the final category was "Southern Authors" and I said aloud "I bet it all, the answer is William Faulkner," and it was. They drilled Faulkner into our heads that season as he seemed to be showing up a lot in the question pool for whatever reason that year.

KilGrey posted:

The Teen Jeopardy shows are always my favorite because I can at least answer those!

Watching the Tournament of Champions is a good way for those who consider themselves decent at regular Jeopardy! to learn humility. The Ultimate Tournament was loving brutal to play along with (as it should be) and fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

escape artist posted:

Registered for the test. Any tips on studying? Rather than just straight up playing old episodes on J-Archive?

Pay attention to current events in January, they always throw a couple of those questions into the online test. If you have any areas where you are sketchy but it isn't that hard to learn the major touchstones, like opera, then there are probably good lists out there that can be studied.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
God dammit I blanked on "bonafide" until right at the end, only got "bona" in.

I probably choked on around 10.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Srgh I almost put Puccini for Tosca but went with Verdi.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Dammit, I missed 15 at least and maybe one more. Blegh blagh blugh.

I put vomiting instead of morning sickness, that'd probably be a "be more specific" situation on the actual show (and I wouldn't have come up with it quick enough.)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hooray I got Ways and Means right.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

uublog posted:

I routinely solve Wheel of Fortune like 5 minutes before the contestants. Like, I was watching last month when someone landed on the jackpot or whatever with a full board of letters and only like 5 or so revealed. Pat asked if (s)he wanted to solve, and I said, "heh, not this early!" Then I thought about it for a few seconds and got it. It was a holiday theme with a bunch of short words, so I don't know if their puzzles are too easy or contestants are too dumb or some combination of the two. But it's not me.

Usually they keep spinning the wheel to call out letters because that's how you build up money to bank when you do solve the puzzle.

On the other hand I see people buying vowels when it seems like they (should) know the answer already.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I guessed Fiddler for the musical because my mind was drawing a blank on the time period and even though I've heard of the song and knew what the clue was getting at I just plain didn't have all the dots connected.

Propeller Yarmulke :bravo:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The best part about the Teen Tournament is when the clues about youth culture are just sliiightly out of date, at that point where the teens were too young to really care about the subject and probably haven't encountered it as pop culture history or nostalgia.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Glenn_Beckett posted:

While this episode is certainly easy, I'd equate it to an easy day of normal Jeopardy! rather than the poo poo-affair that is normal Teen Tournament.

Yeah, Final Jeopardy is something that would have appeared in the regular game. 1939 was throwing me off because I knew the movie came out around that time, and then I remembered it came out rather quickly. Also my brain wanted to say "Of Mice and Men" so that slowed me down.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Math is another category that tends to get a bit dumbed-down... but considering how much of it *I've* forgotten even after majoring in it, it doesn't really bother me.

Actually, I take that back math isn't really dumbed-down all that much, it's just so drat rare compared to pretty much every other regular category. In high school quiz bowl competitions every other question is math because 90% of the players are huge nerds taking calc or pre-calc.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Ugh, every year I do worse, probably because I've stopped paying attention to everything. Time to bone up on Shakespeare again.

Those ones you know you knew at some point are brutal.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Trebek's Scottish accent sure is something.

He does it to piss off Connery.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GhostStalker posted:

Same, I was wracking my brain for a hyphenated Oscar winner and drawing blanks besides Daniel Day-Lewis and he definitely has an acting Oscar. I think the contestants did the same, going off of how they answered.

Ben Affleck was literally the first name that came to mind but then I got thrown by the category in this exact way. I realized about a minute after the end what it was referring to.

Went to my in-person audition yesterday. Pretty much the same as the one I did just over 12 years ago, I reckon, except hopefully this one will get me on the show. Biggest changes were: fewer people at once, no Johnny Gilbert voiceover reading the clues this time, and the room had windows.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GhostStalker posted:

I dunno what statement you're referring to, (the one at the beginning of today's game?) but at the end of Double Jeopardy yesterday, the contestants saved a category for last and the champ was going up it from the bottom to try and make up some money. It became 3 stand and stares before the round ended because of time. I forget the category, but Trebek mentioned at the end there that it might've been a repeat of the infamous football full category stumper a couple months back of the other two clues were revealed (or the video game category that got Matt Rorie a bump in his Twitter follows when he made the first video of it to go viral). Today's champ had been trailing going into Double, the other challenger leading but then dropping most of her score, and I guess Alex wanted to mention that.

Also, who the hell just goes by one letter as a first name?

It was Bible Books by Character. They didn't even get Revelation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
West coast + 7:30 PM airtime + in a market where it airs on NBC so hockey happens to delay it = I was never going to avoid learning the outcome ahead of time.

Still over 30 minutes til airtime for me as I post this lmao.

But NOW I'm ready to get the news that I've been selected for season 36.