Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I've talked to a few thread regulars about this, but I'm trying to hone my trivia skills with an eye to maybe hopefully getting on Jeopardy some day (but also mostly because I enjoy learning stuff and doing well in LearnedLeague). I've got lots of resources for learning trivia and practicing, and have a massive list of stuff I know I don't know well enough or could afford to spend more time on, but there's one massive hole in my trivia knowledge: sports. I know Jeopardy is sort of known for having comically easy sports trivia, but even so I feel like I never know anything in the sports categories. Anybody have any advice on getting better at sports trivia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Hi, I'm one of those people who love sports and trivia. Since a good amount of questions deal with naming teams in North America, learning about the big four leagues (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) and their teams would be a good start. For individuals, it’ll either be a current star player or a legendary figure in the sport’s history. Check the Hall of Fames or Top 75/100 all time list (each league has an official one) for each sport for the latter.

Certain numbers will be tied to a player either as the number they wore, a career highlight or a total for a certain metric. For example, Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox) will be tied to 9 (His number on the team), .406 (his batting average in 1941, the last player to date to hit above .400) and 521 (number of home runs). Each player is different, some will be championships, some will be goals/points, some will be the position they played which can have a number assigned to it.

Of course there are sports played by individuals which apply here such as golf, tennis and events in the Olympics so places like Wikipedia, Sports Reference and even TV Tropes would be places to start. There's also Sports Argument Stadium just in case going outside SA sounds dreadful.

Thank you for this! This gives me a good idea of how to slice and dice the huge history of some of these sports and read up on them. I'm at least not starting from zero since I used to play basketball and watched a fair amount of football and baseball when I was younger, so I at least understand the games and have a passing familiarity with a certain era of players. My parents are huge tennis fans too so I'm actually pretty good on tennis trivia too, which is nice.

But yeah, if you're not kind of constantly paying attention, sports trivia can certainly feel pretty overwhelming, so thank you for the pointers.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't watch it live because it comes on while I'm at work, otherwise I probably would every day even when it's bad, lol.

I'd love more trivia league kind of stuff but I already do LearnedLeague and the other ones Ive found seem to require a lot more real-world time commitment like spokes is talking about, which I'm not sure I could do regularly

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't really sweat the points aspect all that much for your first season, it's a crapshoot until you get out of the rookie rundles and into divisions with players that have some statistical history.

Though you will still see questions that are pretty obvious, or that you can assume are pretty esoteric knowledge, so for your first season you can sort of follow your instinct on scoring just based off of where questions fall on a general difficulty curve and still do pretty fine.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I suppose the Go axiom of losing your first 100 games quickly somewhat applies here. Get accustomed to the ways of the game and not to worry as much about the W/L record in the introductory season

Yeah, your first season (iirc) will be in a rookie rundle anyway, though I think your placement in the rookie rundle might determine which rundle you're in for your second season, after which you can get promoted or relegated if you're in the top/bottom 3 places of your rundle in a season, respectively (I think, maybe it's top/bottom 4). If all you care about is doing trivia, it's sort of immaterial though, since everybody gets the same questions. I've only done 3 seasons iirc so I have no idea how common it is to get promoted/relegated from season to season.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just looked at my stats and I've only been doing LL for 4 seasons so far but I am eerily consistent in my TCA. I won my fewest matches so far this season though, placed 11th in my rundle which isn't too bad

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ken does not say "best of seven" or "first to three" today.

To be clear also you are second in your rundle in TCA with 118.

Yeah I ended up just having bad timing on who I tied or lost to this season, I think. I do sort of feel like I didn't "earn" my TCA in this season and the most recent one, I've had a handful of wild guesses that I was really lucky on and shocked that they were correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol @ this nerd today whose anecdote is "My wife won a learnedleague 1DS before I did"

I sometimes idly think about what my anecdote(s) would be if I was ever on Jeopardy and I don't think I've ever done anything or had anything happen in my life that doesn't make me sound like an absolutely gigantic dweeb