Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah that's wild -- gotta be the most famous person to ever be on regular-person Jeopardy, no? They really undersold how insanely successful she is, which was kinda funny

The most famous is still a pre-Vietnam John McCain in 1965. Kind of hard to top that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Do you think they save up the ridiculously easy FJ’s for runaway games?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Babe" Didrikson Zaharias (golf, basketball, track and field) was the first woman athlete to appear on a box of wheaties. Roy Campanella (baseball) and Evan Strong (snowboarding) were respectively the first black and Paralympic athletes to do the same.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Lmao at Mayim accepting "Tweedledee and Tweedledum" by clarifying just "Tweedledee." Can't remember the last time it was so clearly obvious that a judge's correction was coming up after the next commercial

That question was horrendously worded; it sounded like they were asking for a pair of characters. It wasn't until I sat down and diagrammed the actual sentence that I figured out what they meant.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

What the gently caress is a unit of cultural transmission? Who would even think to answer meme to that?

That's the original definition of a meme: a self-replicating method for encapsulating and transmitting cultural information from one generation to another or one group to another. The informational analogue of genetic code; a memetic-gene.

It doesn't have a lot to do with the way the word is commonly used today.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Are they backtracking because she's such an unpopular host? It'd be pretty funny if that were the case.

The last I heard, there is essentially zero difference in ratings between her and Ken. The Jeopardy Reddit community has very little influence on actual Jeopardy viewership, which is basically 99% old people that have been watching the same show for decades and aren’t likely to stop for any reason.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The pound has been a unit of mass since 1959, when it was redefined as 0.45359237 kilograms.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Simpsons/Talespin fan spotted!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And while there was a lot of bad play from the contestants, that semi-before and after movie category was something else. Re-looking at the clues on J! Archive, the first two clues were fine, but what in the hell were the last three?
The Final Jeopardy was godawful as well. No context, no ability to reason it out, just "Here's a minor event that happened last year, if you didn't hear about it at the time, gently caress you."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I thought you were joking, so I pulled up a video at random, and the first fifteen seconds were "Flashlight... tape dispenser...scissors... pen... coupons... nail clipper... glasses fixer set....""

The latter was an eyeglasses repair kit, which they gave him credit for. We're done as a species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Spokes posted:

i do appreciate that the show is countering complaints of seeing the same players over and over by reminding you just how dull the "old" champions were. "oh, they didn't like seeing andrew he for the twentieth time? put alex jacob back on the telly. they'll be begging for two more weeks of buttery before they know it. uh, also put andrew, amy, and sam in that tournament, of course. i'm not stupid.,"

*Slams fists on podium*

“Bring! Back! Lizard! Bring! Back! Lizard!”