Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

KilGrey posted:

Someone posted this in the GBS YouTube thread and I thought I'd cross post it here since someone brought it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEBCve-3Cw

It's a hour and a half documentary on the guy who "cheated" on Press Your Luck. I put cheated in quotes because he technically didn't cheat just figured out the pattern and rhythm of the board. It's a pretty interesting watch and the guy looks loving psycho. If I didn't know better I'd say he just scared the Whammies away with his psycho crazy eyed stare. It's got interviews with the game host and the two contestants who played the game with him.

Oh my god I've seen that like two or three times already but I'm still tempted to watch it again. It's a seriously captivating story and depressing as heck he just went through life going from one get rich quick scheme to another. I'm almost surprised he was the first (only?) person to figure that out but then I remember how much work it must have taken to do it on a VCR. I'm glad they filmed it before Peter Tomarken's plane crash in 2006, RIP

e: in looking for the original post I also learned via GBS that Huell Howser died today, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :patriot:

uublog fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

KilGrey posted:

I was surprised he was the only one to figure it out as well, but yeah, this was 1984 and I don't think VCRs were even that common then. But once you learn the pattern he's looking for, I couldn't unsee it.

The craziest 'get rich quick' scheme to me was when he brought home $50,000 in dollar bills because there was a contest on the radio that if you match a serial number they read out on a dollar bill you'd win some cash. He made his poor wife sit there and look through 50,000 bills every loving day to try to find a match.

Yeah, that was a crazy one. You'd think he'd be satisfied with the money he won on PYL, but I got the idea he was the kind of guy who never had enough. I can't believe he just left all those bills out for them to be stolen one night. It's crazy to me that he had ran off to some other place with some other woman and one day the wife heard he was dead from cancer. Just kind of came and went.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

So what you're saying is if we want to make the show we'd have to dumb ourselves down a bit.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

In reading those questions, I couldn't think of the name of the Dragon Tattoo series but I'm just gonna start calling it Swedish Rape Saga anyway

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I routinely solve Wheel of Fortune like 5 minutes before the contestants. Like, I was watching last month when someone landed on the jackpot or whatever with a full board of letters and only like 5 or so revealed. Pat asked if (s)he wanted to solve, and I said, "heh, not this early!" Then I thought about it for a few seconds and got it. It was a holiday theme with a bunch of short words, so I don't know if their puzzles are too easy or contestants are too dumb or some combination of the two. But it's not me.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

THE GUTENBERG loving BIBLE HOW DO TWO OF YOU MISS THAT

e: they literally just showed them a Gutenberg Bible and were like "Hey, what is this?" I am currently dying.

"What is 'us'" You absolute morons!

Pride and Prejudice? Yeah, Susie. "P" comes before "S." Maybe go to kindergarten you IDIOT poo poo PISS

To clarify what I'm mad about : "The first book Jane Austen had published in her lifetime, it is the last of her books alphabetically." I haven't been so angry over Sense and Sensibility since I read it.

As much as I enjoyed Jeopardy before this thread I enjoy it so much more with your rantings to no one.

Also what I love about the Teen Tournament is that they could still kick my rear end in basically anything on the board. I love to be made to feel like a dumbfuck by a handful of teenagers who are scientifically programmed to do dumb things inherently.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember hating the Teen Tournament because the questions are easy as hell.

This is possible. It's also possible that I'm an idiot.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I miss Celebrity Jeopardy, too. The only sketch I love every time I see it. I have no idea why they didn't have one for Ferrell's hosting appearance last year.

Oh, you were talking about the real--never mind me then...

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

So this happened

oh so THIS is why I don't watch the teen tournament

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Green Crayons posted:

I didn't realize he was the lucky one to make it in. That makes his win ten times more awesome.

GOD:drat: that owns so hard.

If Nilai had gotten it right his $21400+$19000 would've given him $40400 so it's even ballsier that Leonard got it.

For the record I DVR'ed Monday's but was out late last night and like a dumbass forgot to DVR it ahead of time. But after part 1 I was thinking what kind of comeback it would take for Leonard to win and wow, did he get lucky as heck on that DJ. When I heard the name "Leonard Cooper" I first imagined some even weirder mutation of Leonard and Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, but he's actually like the inverse of that. drat, everything about him winning is so awesome

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

How the gently caress did no one get Owl Creek Bridge?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Huh?

I'm more pissed that med student didn't get "anaphylactic." Reaction time won't be an excuse in lecture tomorrow.

:what:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I actually really liked the Stephen Merritt story. These dudes are bad at gadgets though

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Dammit Sara how could you lose to the five best rappers of all time! smh :douche:

Also that guy got both DD's in DJ and bet $400 and $1000, that's loving dumb as hell.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

If I hit the DD's in a subject I don't know, you best believe I'm going to wager like $5. It'll still be worth it for eliminating the chance of another player to have a big payday.

For a guy who's actually on Jeopardy, there shouldn't really be two separate categories he doesn't know well. But he won so gently caress it I guess? :shrug:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Frot Lesnar posted:

Reports are coming out that have Matt Lauer as the lead candidate to replace Alex Trebek when he decides to retire. Dear god no.

:barf: that is a terrible loving idea. I want to find that person who suggested that and hide him in my oubliette until Trebek retires to make sure it doesn't happen.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

I don't really see Anderson Cooper taking over. He's slightly below Charlie Sheen on the crazy level, he has burned way too many bridges. That, plus just hiring him politicizes a non-political show.

:confused: In what way is Anderson Cooper near the Charlie Sheen level of crazy??

I think Cooper and Williams are both cool as news dudes, I'm just not sold on a news dude as a Jeopardy! host. (Though Hoda/Kathie Lee would be PHENOMENAL.) I am still Team Ken first and foremost, but Pat Kiernan is (a) waaaay underrated and (b) also Canadian, if they wanted to keep that theme. Actually just reunite Jennings and Kiernan from their time on Grand Slam, with Kiernan in some other cool non-hosting role. Not really, I just wanted to shoehorn Grand Slam into the discussion, please tell me someone else remembers that? Dennis Miller hosted it and I don't even remember him going off on any memorable crazy political rants! That alone should count for something!

uublog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 16, 2013

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

CarbonCpy posted:

I just had the craziest thought pop into my head: Pat and Ken hosting an American version of Pointless. I feel like I need to write that down somewhere.

(And, yes, I remember Grand Slam as well. Asides from Russian Roulette, that was the best original GSN had ever ran)

Yes!!!!! I also loved Russian Roulette, I don't know why but watching people fall through trap doors in the floor is awesome as hell to me. It's one of the first things I put in my imaginary mansion. On the topic of GSN originals: I had dreams of being on Lingo, cuz I can spell werds gud, but for some reason, replacing Weird Conservative host with Weird Midwestern Part-time Actor host has erased them. Weird.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In other news, if Alex really is retiring and does so before I can get on the show, I will cut a bitch.

From what I read, his contract is still through 2016. So you've got time.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I love sports questions as it gives *one* category to sweep pretty reliably, so obviously that seemed way too easy to me as well. It specifically mentioned the Tigers right? Yeah sports categories are the only ones I can think of off-hand where Jeopardy! totally plays down to people who don't know much, if anything, about them.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

Well, there are probably other ones, you're just not aware of them. Like Opera categories. Most people who know Opera seem to clean up in those categories, but if I get one out of the five questions correct, I feel accomplished.

That baseball category, I didn't know anything about... Though, even in basketball there have been some tough questions, or at least, "curveball" type questions.

Example: When this Laker debuted, he became the youngest player to ever play in an NBA game.

Most people would guess: Kobe Bryant; he did come out of high school and he's broke many "youngest player" records.

The actual answer: Andrew Bynum, a name that you only know if follow basketball regularly.

Fair point, anything opera goes so far over my head I just assume they're of a high difficulty. BTW, you have no idea how sad that that Bynum question makes me. I think his knees have literally deteriorated into a mush of rubber held together by glue and scotch taped to the rest of his legs.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

escape artist posted:

Philly is one of my tertiary teams, and I also hate Dwight Howard, so I agree... Bynum's recent misfortunes are tragic. If only his knees could be like his hair.

Beautiful and majestic and designed differently every day? I agree! For the record, I honestly did not know he became the youngest, either.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

zakharov posted:

Molly is not the strongest player in the world, as evidenced by missing tonight's cupcake FJ, but she had some pretty laughable competition tonight. Jason seemed to be buzzing in with complete wild guesses. It's like he'd never watched the show. Did he not realize he was losing money?

I love how eager he was to buzz in with Boyz II Men (as anyone would have been)

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

In fairness all three did well in the first two rounds, off the top of my head I can't remember any they got wrong

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

That kreplach/knish thing was kinda suspicious to me, they're 1000% different, and basically any hungry Jew had to know knish is what they were referring to. If I wasn't so hungry for either one of them myself, I'd be angrier about that reversal.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

That was an embarrassingly easy final.

I usually measure difficulty by whether or not I know it (unless it's one of the incredibly obscure things I know, like the Don Drysdale/RFK one from last month) and I thought of Surgeon General almost immediately, so yes, it was far too easy

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

How the gently caress did no one get Janet Leigh??

Also where did Dick Tracy come from?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I audibly booed them all for missing Mu Alpha Theta. Shameful nerds!

e: lol they're all too young to know Roots? I watched the tv version in eighth grade history

uublog fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 23, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

It kind of really bothered me how much those kids avoided the $400 clues in Double Jeopardy!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Kevin gave a couple really bad answers. I'm pretty sure he completely guessed on the White House's address number.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Dr Zaius posted:

I think "metal heads" should have counted.

I think skinheads should have counted! :v:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

I love Trebek pointing out to the whole country how short that one kid is for no reason

Jerk_Trebek.txt

When he came out into the center of the stage after they were both announced as semi-finalists, I was totally amazed that he was really that short.

That was the best game of the tournament so far by a wide margin. Glad to see they're all advancing. I wonder who got screwed by that, though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was the question?

It was something along the lines of "someone who like metal music is known as this." one kid tried metalheads, then another tried skinheads. It was a category where each correct response had "head" in it. (I'd be more precise but last night's J-archive page is very incomplete.)

uublog fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 26, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I almost fell over in my chair from oxygen being a Triple Stumper

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I like Jeff more now that I know how many other people don't like him.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

dang the entire time Joe and Cooper were going back and forth I was like "I think Joe is better maybe but I'm not really sure at all?"

Sam v. Alan is gonna be good tomorrow

Relatedly, does anyone happen to know if semi-finalists are grouped in any certain way or if it's randomized?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

smh they don't much about journalism

or 2013 George Clooney movies

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

:laffo: Trebek had no idea how to pronounce Neko Case :ughh:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I'm watching Sports Jeopardy now and oh my god this is painfully bad. From the terrible announcing that forced dumb sports phrases into anything and everything to only four clues that renders my Normal Jeopardy calculator useless. Also I think Dan Patrick literally gave the middle dude (I never trust a grown man named Pauly) the points on the Buffalo Wild Wings© question when he only answered with Buffalo. Some clues are really weirdly (re: terribly) written and Patrick's casual sexism is totally awesome (and all his jokes were way bad) and somehow way more direct than Trebek has been, as far as I can remember.

e: wait Ronda Rousey introduced all the UFC clues and was also the answer to the $250 clue? jfc that's atrocious writing oh I think it was a different ufc lady? WHOOPS

e2: lmao these guys aren't terribly smart about seemingly obvious things. like "eccentric outfielders who played next to Johnny Damon." Bernie Williams!!?!??

uublog fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 28, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I did it, I finally got a Final Jeopardy! that none of the contestants got (I'm honestly stunned no one got that, it wasn't difficult at all)

Also lmao at a $5 Daily Double

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Quasipox posted:

The weirdest story I've ever seen is still the guy who felt the need to tell everyone about his bed wetting. I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with that, but your first time on Jeopardy and that's what you go with.

The only video I can find about it is some promo thing recorded off the tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoE50ExYbe8

EDIT: Ha, just saw that I've mentioned it before.

hahaha why the gently caress would they put that in the promo???