Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Timby posted:

Yeah, the calls for Burton were an incredibly astroturfed thing that, originally, he wasn't even interested in. And then after he guest-hosted the show for a week, he admitted that he wasn't very good and there were better choices for the role.

The more I learn about Burton the better I like him. He's just a stand up guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s something so incredibly demented that a petty gameshow executive ran a shadow campaign to effectively coup control away from a soon to be dead man.

Only in America.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I barely even remember Chu being on Jeopardy now. He's been overshadowed by Amy, James, and other more recent champions that don't seem like contrarian asswipes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Most of the people who beat long time champs usually end up as one dayers, don't they? I don't know the precise "Trebekmetrics" for it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Woman who hocks brain pills on TV and was on the bazinga show*: Smart
Guy who was a Jeopardy champion for over 70 days: Who does that smart aleck think he is?

-- America 2022

* I'm not trying to minimize Bialik's legitimate academic achievements.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Oh of course not, but having a doctorate does not necessarily make one a good host of a TV game show.

No, and as we've seen (not specifically from Miyam), it doesn't even guarantee that someone is especially knowledgable outside of their particular field of interest.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HookShot posted:

The Jeopardy Facebook page is also not happy and these are 100% the boomers Sony listens to.

"Once you go Ken you never go Bialik".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It always feels so forced and fake, like she's trying way too hard, unlike Ken's interjections that were far more relevant to the game and natural. Same with the little intro/outro snippets; hers feel like she's putting on that overly enthusiastic voice you use with small children.

Bingo. That's what I really don't like about Mayim: the forced enthusiasm and the somewhat patronizing way she tends to speak to contestants. To be fair, I don't think the latter is intentional on her part.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jeopardy! trivia posted:

- In the pilot and for many years on the Trebek version of the show, the contestant interviews were at the top of the show. At some point, the producers wanted to “get into the action" sooner, so we moved the contestant interview segment to after the first commercial break.

I actually like this format better than the current one, where the interviews happen after the first commercial break.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mayim seems especially annoying tonight between the interjections between every single correct answer in the "music decade" category and the awkward pregnant pauses.

Mandy Patinkin was good, though!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ken actually seems like he has fun hosting which alone is a big difference. Like he actually enjoys seeing contestants play well and can feel their pain if they screw up.

Ken is also a lot more natural with his banter during the interview portion of the show. Mayim, I think, struggles with knowing how to respond to contestants' stories (I can relate to that, tbh) and feels forced. Ken seems like he genuinely enjoys hearing their stories.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Give us someone to root against for a while

Well, we have Mayim...

(I know what you mean; I'm mostly joking.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 26, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CPColin posted:

At least she consoled Karim with "plenty of game to play" when he was getting frustrated.

That was probably the best moment she's had as host. The rest of the night she oozed fake enthusiasm which was irritating.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

She looks like a tweaker when she does that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mayim is actually a little better with the pregnant pauses tonight, but her chirpiness and jerkiness are irritating.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Sean posted:

Talking about stuff like stablecoin endorses that it is a safe investment.

"Stable"coin just had a massive drop in value, didn't it? Impeccable timing on Jeopardy writers' parts.

You're right that they framed crypto a lot more approvingly than they should have given...everything about it. I know the show has to grow with the times but I'm not a super big fan of Jeopardy wading into contemporary pop culture. It comes off like your mom trying to be hip.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You raise some good points. I definitely rolled my eyes at it, and I thought the name "jeopcoin" veered uncomfortably close to a certain racial slur for Romani people.

I had that same thought. I thought Miyam was saying the slur for a moment before I saw the category name.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mayim has covid: https://abc7.com/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-covid-19-positive/11981724/

Don't know if they're still taping the current season or not, but it could make a difference for whether she appears in the latter episodes of this season.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

she has those long, very obvious pauses where she's checking her little cards, sometimes pausing after the first name to double check the last name because she seems incapable of remembering a single simple thing for 1.3 seconds.

A doctor of neuroscience (?) but can't remember simple information on cue cards.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did she take the job in the first place? It can’t pay well compared to probably hoarded millions from the later years of Big Bang Theory.

For the prestige. Jeopardy hosts are expected to be smart people themselves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I guessed somewhere in Texas because of '1845' (which I think was when the state was admitted to the union) and was wrong. Seemed like a better guess than New York, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

I wish they would bring back that classic Jeopardy board fill. Seems so sterile now.

Hell yeah. The modern board fill sounds like a lovely default ringtone.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, just make it regular Watson, cut to B-roll of lights blinking before announcing "correct"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECu1fR0dWE

The computer would outpace Mayim's performance by a lot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Then I'm done. Not dealing with another season of her twitchy smugness.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Seems like the suits are doing a 'split the baby in half' scenario that's liable to just piss everyone off. Aside from her Q score or whatever bullshit metric they're using, I just don't get what they see in Mayim at all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cris has a similar play style as Holzhauer (spelling?), but I think he's more personable than James. I don't have a problem with Cris but I'm ready for someone else to win, though.

(No spoilers; Jeopardy is on as I type this so I don't know how the episode will end up.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RC and Moon Pie posted:

To be a big better, Cris does not gamble with clues much. If he doesn't know it, he doesn't ring in. I think he knows more than he's ringing in, considering his success with Daily Doubles, but he'll have to be more aggressive to keep going. There has only contestant who's been anywhere close his level all week, though. Tonight was a slog.

A couple of episodes ago, there was a long period of time where he didn't ring in at all during Double Jeopardy until another contestant missed a clue. Cris is good but he may not have the accuracy that James did.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

An apple tree was the only thing that made sense to me as an answer, but I was also trying to think if it was a flower whose petals obeyed the Fibonacci sequence or something like that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Andorra posted:

I got the "cloned" part of the clue and immediately guessed sheep :)

I thought of that too but didn't think it'd make sense with the clue.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I felt so bad for Jessica. She started off on the wrong foot and just never really recovered.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe, but Matt doesn't seem like much gets to him. He's one of the most easygoing champions Jeopardy's ever had, I think.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Invenerable posted:

Ken confirmed on Twitter that it should be up on YouTube sometime after 11e/8p tonight, but won't be there permanently.

Nice, I'm going to go watch it now. To get away from any and all election coverage I actually ended up missing the ToC.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

I bet the wheel of fortune thread never has to deal with this bullshit

They're probably on page 50 of the debate over whether 'y' counts as a vowel.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

PSXer posted:

It seemed awfully convenient to me that the interview segment for the very last game of the tournament was about who the contestants wanted to thank. That's usually how it goes in tournaments. However, they also usually know exactly how many games a tournament is going to have ahead of time. What if this tournament ended after game 4 or 5 and they never got a chance to thank people?

They couldn't just do the interview segments out of order, because then the contestants would be wearing the wrong clothes. Maybe they taped similar segments for game 4 and 5 but didn't use them because it wasn't the last game?

Two of the three already had two wins under their belts, so it probably wasn't too much of a surprise that the tourney was ending that night.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 22, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hunting for Daily Doubles to deny them to other players and then sitting back (because they can't possibly catch up to you if you correctly guess the DD) is a legitimate strategy. I know Jeopardy is a game show but it kinda annoys me when people play that way. Just a personal preference: I prefer the chiller style of an Amy or Sam Buttrey.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 25, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sorry...just sick of the guy. Cris is perfectly nice but watching one contestant dominate is not fun or interesting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm fine with dominating if the contestant is actually fun to watch and an interesting person (see: Amy).

I keep saying I don't hate this guy, I'm just bored with him.

Yeah, agreed. Amy and Sam Buttrey have sparkling personalities that make you root for them. Both Cris and Holzhauer suffer from the problem of robotically searching for Daily Doubles and getting a nearly unbeatable lead early on. I think Cris is a bit more personable than James was, but they're a bit too 'flat'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't mind champions like Amy because she had a certain humility about it. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I like it better than, as I said, robotically hunting for DDs to deny your opponents even the chance of catching up to you. I know it's a game and you have to play to win, but I like for people to have something I can root for instead of 'good strategy'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Watching a guy break into the top tier of Jeopardy winners while making giant risky bets and you're bored.

Can't speak for Iron Crowned, but yeah....pretty much. I miss having someone like Sam Buttrey who had a personality you could rally behind. Cris is a nice enough guy; just 'flat'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:cheers: to Cris. No hard feelings; I was just ready for someone else to have a chance at being champion