Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I finished it, I'm kicking myself over two or three questions but I think I got at least 40.

I blanked on Kiev, which was pretty embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
I finished with 42/50, not too bad. Here's the questions/answers.

1. Novel Heroines
This 1847 Charlotte Brontė title character gets a job as a governess (Jane Eyre)

2. Reality TV
This supermodel has hosted "Project Runway" since 2004 (Klum)

3. Scientists
In 1955 his polio vaccine was pronounced safe and effective (Salk)

4. African Geography
This country is bordered by Sudan to the south and Libya to the west (Egypt)

5. Ivy League Schools
Ithaca, New York is home to this university - Cornell

6. British History
In 1838 she began her decades-long reign as queen - Victoria

7. Shakespearean Characters
This king of the fairies likes to play with a Puck - Oberon

8. That's My Business
Steve Ballmer is CEO of this tech company - Microsoft

9. In His Book of the Bible
Boils sent by Satan are among the many tribulations of this man - Job

10. Get Your Drink On
It's the main alcoholic ingredient of a Cuba Libre - Rum

11. Six-Letter Words
A counting device using a frame set with rods and moving balls - Abacus

12. World Capitals X
It's the capital of Ukraine - Kiev

13. Name That Movie
Panem is the setting of this post-apocalyptic 2012 film - Hunger Games

14. Author! Author! X
He spent most of his 1895-97 jail sentence in Reading Gaol - Oscar Wilde

15. Ancient Rome
The first of these three wars between Rome and Carthage began in 264 B.C. - Punic Wars

16. Space Exploration
On August 6, 2012 this appropriately named robotic vehicle landed on Mars - Curiosity

17. Art and Artists
This American gave us the drip painting "Number 10, 1949" - Pollock

18. Newspapers
The team of Woodward and Bernstein came to fame working for this newspaper - Washington Post

19. Colorful Language
It precedes "fever" and "pimpernel" - Scarlet

20. 20th Century Literature
This 1982 novel tells the story of an African-American woman named Celie - Color Purple

21. 19th Century America
Gold found on this man's land in 1848 precipitated the California Gold Rush - Sutter

22. Online Games
In 2010 this Zynga game "grew" to be #1 in average daily users on Facebook - Farmville

23. Novelists
In 2011 he penned the bestseller 11/22/63 - Stephen King

24. Gemstones
July's birthstone is this red variety of corundum - Ruby

25. Mountains X
South America's highest peak, Mt. Aconcagua, is found in this mountain range - Andes

26. Pop Singers
In 2010 she was "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele

27. World Authors
During his sailing days, this "Heart of Darkness" author may have been involved in illegal gunrunning - Conrad

28. Scientific Discoveries
In 1953 Watson and Crick discovered the structure of this genetic molecule - DNA

29. U.S. Cities
It's the capital of Wisconsin - Madison

30. Classical Music
This "Four Seasons" composer helped develop the Baroque concerto - Vivaldi

31. Rhyme Time
An azure sneaker - blue shoe

32. Canadian Postal Abbreviations
"P.E." stands for this Canadian province that's off the North American mainland - prince edward island

33. Early America X
These documents served as our basic charter of government from 1781 until the Constitution in 1789 - articles of confederation

34. The Late 20th Century
In 1991, Slovenia and Croatia became free republics, breaking away and declaring independence from this country - yugoslavia

35. American Lit
Queequeg is a tattooed former criminal and harpooner in this great American novel - moby dick

36. U.S. Geography
This southernmost U.S. state is also one of the smallest in area - hawaii

37. Cable TV
TV shows on this cable channel include "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" - bravo

38. Weights & Measures
Used for measuring wheat and other grains, this unit of measure equals four pecks - bushel

39. The elements
Atomic number 92, this element named for a planet is an important nuclear fuel - uranium

40. French Lit
Works by this Algerian-born existential author include his masterpiece "The Stranger" - camus

41. "X" Marks the Spot
Fear of foreigners - xenophobia

42. Bodies of Water X
Though called a sea, this body of water east of the Caucasus is really the world's largest lake - caspian

43. Fashion X
This designing woman with the real first name Gabrielle introduced her classic "little black dress" in 1926 - coco chanel

44. Explorers X
A sea, a strait, and an island all bear the name of this Dane, who explored the Siberian coast in the 18th century - Bering

45. Political Parties
The African National Congress saw this man, its leader, elected president of South Africa in 1994 - Mandela

46. Modern Fiction
Young Susie Salmon tells her story from heaven in this Alice Sebold novel about [a/her] murder and its aftermath - lovely bones

47. "D" in Science
It's the process of evaporating a liquid and then condensing the vapor back into a purified liquid - distillation

48. At the Movies
Andrew Garfield helped reboot this superhero['s?] franchise in 2012 - spiderman

49. Contemporary Authors
"Brokeback Mountain" is one of the short stories included in this author's collection "Close Range" - proulx

50. Starts with Two Vowels X
Home for an eagle - eyrie/aerie