Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

gently caress my :spergin: living. Got the little black dress one though

I blanked on that one. I picked Hyden for some reason

I picked Verdi for some loving reason. :(

And I probably should have known The Hunger Games. Blanked on Camus and kept trying to think of Rushdie's name.

What was the answer to the one about Celie or something like that? I went with 'Their Eyes Were Watching God' but I don't think that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

gobbles posted:

What was the answer to the eagle question ????????

Aerie.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Oh God, I said Federalist Papers. :bang:

I will never appear on Jeopardy, Christ.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i've got an audition in early september in ny. is there a primer in this thread for the audition somewhere, or is it more just question-asking and going back and forth? a friend of mine was already on the show and i talked to him about the process, so i feel i know what to expect, but just curious if there was another something to read.

also, i'm finding the hardest part of this whole thing is coming up with these loving bio facts.

also, anyone else in learned league?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

amspacherwc here

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh hell yea. they called me today, a week after my audition, and asked me to be on

gently caress yes

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 14, 2018

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i wasn't at my phone when they called on wednesday. i switched on my phone about 30min after they did, saw the missed call and vm from culver city, and that gave me some hope. i listened, and lo and behold they said they wanted to talk to me--nothing about making it or whatever. i called immediately, left a message for them saying 'hey, returning your call, can talk whenever', and they called back around 1p yesterday

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 14, 2018

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

dads friend steve posted:

Yeah that ways and means thing was bullshit. But still an awesome job :)

how? it’s not a dept. or are you just saying it’s hosed up the canadian got it? because yea, that sucks for her, though i doubt most americans knew it either

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

they’re hoisted on a small bar scoreboard to the left of the question wall. they’re pretty much in view at all times you’re not reading a question

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what is emma's accent? south african?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Poque posted:

When are you filming/airing?

aired the day before thanksgiving

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xkkre

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

I take it you're Casey? You were fun to watch, even if it turned into a runaway quickly enough. Should've said something in the thread, even if we were still talking about the winner of the Teen Tournament instead!

Welcome to the Goon Jeopardy one and done club though!

yep, that’s me.

well i made it a not-runaway at the end until the double jeopardy. i felt i absolutely had to go for the lead there given it was the second easiest question in a category i felt quite comfortable with and she was fantastic and that was my one shot. aside from her being obviously better at the buzzer, after that question she even said that she only knew the answer from knowing paragraph 2 or 3 from page like 312 from some tennessee williams play. at that point i knew she was insanely smart and photographic and knew she deserved it. i would’ve bet my life i had at least heard of the answer to the q but nope!

man, if only i got the show before. i would’ve won like $50k easy. fairly sure i knew all but one of the questions. :/

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

Nice moustache

huh?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I'd say it's no worse than an opera quesiton

what was wrong with the opera question?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, it’s jeopardy. jeopardy asks about opera sometimes. you need to know at least the top 10 or so, and ‘aida’ is definitely a top 10 opera

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

drat, he ruled

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thinking germany must border poland by sea is...boy, that's a new one

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

love the difficulty of questions, hate there's only one round per episode

as always, gently caress buzzy

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

whoever that jacobs guy is and larissa are complete and utter monsters

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

jennings is just on another level

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

seriously thought the answer to that dj was forrest gump

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you shouldn’t let your performance on two questions in a category advise you on how to tackle the others, come on

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can we all agree that this is the level of difficulty jeopardy should be set at all times? great questions left and right

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

could recent jeopardy contestants learn a little about the invasions of wwii? this is just downright embarassing

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a way to stream these? reddit guy got busted it looks like

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

has anyone sent that to maggie? i will if no one else has. dude loving deserves hell

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

- pretty sure anyone who’s called to come out except the local alternate is guaranteed to play

- i think there’s music playing? i can’t remember. the conversation is solely between alex and the contestants

- contestants waiting to play sit in a cordoned-off section. i don’t see why they can’t ask questions too

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what you should be learning from all of this is how bad people are at gambling. it’s a loving goldmine out there. like people put thousands and thousands of dollars with the boneheaded logic they’re employing constantly. best part is they keep coming back.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I will tell you, it comes at any party. My wife never brings up being on Jeopardy, but as long as one friend at a parry knows (pretty likely) they will bring it up to everyone.

It is fun to talk about, but yeah, it’s a very consistent “what do you have to do to get on jeopardy?” Question that always has to be answered.

this, and it's annoying as gently caress.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a list of who's in?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what was the question?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, i think they were trying to get people to think of either hotel california or rumours. maaaaaaaaaybe aja but that would be one of the deepest cuts jeopardy ever pulled.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lmao considered that for a second but sadly enough of a steely dan nerd to know the year wasn't right. Probably sent me down the right path though, "Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening"

yea, if you even knew aja existed, i imagine you also knew a lot about it and the clue's description didn't quite fit and that it was later. you'd also know that the odds of jeopardy asking anything about aja would've been astronomical.

and goddamn, gently caress the eagles.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 26, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a way to stream these a la the old reddit thread or is the dream dead?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Timby posted:

I want to punch Daryn.

what's wrong with him?

e: also i had no clue on the final jeopardy. that was extremely difficult if you ask me. never heard of that town.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 22, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also there are multiple cities of light throughout the us, not to mention THE city of light everyone knows not being in the united states acts to confuse you more. you really needed to know the presidential side of it to have a shot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Light

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I don’t want to blame Trebek and his cancer treatment/chemo making him stumble a bit verbally or decision wise, but that seems to be the case. Maybe it was the judges loving up instead? Alex’s voice seemed a bit rough during the intros.

Shame about Final and Mohammed writing out too long of an answer that he couldn’t finish it. 95 Theses should’ve been enough, if they took Luther’s Theses from the champ. Scores seemed pretty low going into Final as well.

he didn't write theses. it was like 'luther's list of...'

if he had put theses, i'm guessing that would've been enough without mentioning luther.

also, the way the question was worded, i could've seen someone putting 'indulgence'. that would've been an interesting ruling.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’m not sure theodore has ever interacted with humans in the last five years.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

one of the better games in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that was a drat tough final. i came up with cs lewis, dahl, milne, and wodehouse off the bat and would've marked out dahl first as i thought he was danish or norwegian or something else. probably would've gone with wodehouse in the end.