Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One could argue that Dickinson's poems had a certain... preoccupation with death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't mind the kids' tournament. being able to kick a seventh grader's rear end at jeopardy is one of the few ego boosts i have left on this dying rock.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rchandra posted:

Has anybody played on a kids/college tournament and then the real game? Or even both kids + college?

used to be the college tourney champ got a spot in the ToC, but they stopped that... what, 10- 15 years ago.

nowadays being on once in any circumstance is enough to rule one as ineligible. don't know how that applies to that kids-only version gsn ran years ago.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4chom code for "social justice warriors"

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Aww bye Kirsten

Also Leanne was one of the worst contestants I've ever seen.

Also "What is left of Spain?" "France :downs:"

alex: "geographically, not politically"
(edited from broadcast)

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jota posted:

how this dude rob holds his buzzer annoys the poo poo out of me

it makes sense -- I'm wanting to say that even ken jennings mentioned that using the index finger was just a little bit faster than using the thumb, and any kind of advantage you can get is a good one indeed.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IronSaber posted:

Jeopardy speedrunning! Coming this summer to SGDQ.

assuming the other two nerdshoes on stage with you are equal, that fraction of a second is worth another two hundred bricks at the very least.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
real j prostrat discussion hours

phrase in the form of a question if u up

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
faze clan presents major league jeopardy montage: what is drat son where did you find this?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today's final was one of those that completely and utterly stumped me.

i suppose i could look it up to find out what's the big deal about that, but i don't watch jeopardy to learn, i watch it to feel smug when the contestants don't know the correct response.

edit: i'm also hypocritical as gently caress.

today's final was a roundabout french revolution question -- the estates-general of 1789 was formed to solve the king's financial problems with his government, with the assembly ending when the commoners (the third estate) made the national assembly and spelled the beginning of the end of louie 16

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 8, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, my thinking had me trying to figure out when oliver cromwell got his rear end kicked and the english monarchy was restored, i was just on the wrong side of the channel s'all.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

Robocop took over the writing staff?

Trebek is a highlander? Explains why Dick Clark is no longer with us.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Given that the Jeopardy! facebook is a cesspit of a raging dumpster fire, complaints about the politics inherent in the most ephemeral of light entertainment formats aren't the worst thing I've read today.

Don't get me wrong, it's dumb as hell, but it's not the worst.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm of the opinion that anyone whose claim to fame is that of 'blogger' needs to be swirlied on a daily basis.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i purposely wear shirts that are too small and only wear them straight out of the dryer so that wrinkles never become an issue.

although i realize now that all i have done was trade one problem for an entirely different, and possibly worse problem.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Come on, Trebek, I ain't got time today for any clickbait bullshi-- hold up, what?!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm actually happy with my performance on that.

Whether that's good enough, who the gently caress knows. But even if I don't get called, I'm proud of myself.

Really shoulda got Ethiopia, though. Zig-zagged out of it and said Uganda. :sigh:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I put Ganges for the river in India, but I'm almost certain it's the Kyber.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and for those of you scoring at home, good job -- hope y'all are having fun.

for the rest of us, here's tonight's test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJevi2S3E8o

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alex used to goof off and crack jokes all the time when he hosted shows that weren't as focused on the questions (e.g. High Rollers, Classic Concentration)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWlF69d8b-c

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just :psyduck: that Wheel of Fortune was apparently getting better ratings than Jeopardy at some point. I mean Wheel is just such a "meh" gameshow that makes it incredibly difficult to win the big prizes.

Momentum is a hell of a thing, especially considering there was a five or six year break between the last time Art Fleming hosted it and when Trebek started.

Wheel had been on tv in one form or another since 1975, on NBC, CBS, and syndicated.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

the main appeal of Wheel of Fortune is watching Pat Sajak grimly struggle to remain civilized with and polite to his contestants

poo poo like the long, uncomfortable silence sajak gives a contestant after hearing them tell a story about their dream being to host wheel of fortune doesn't happen all that much, but it makes up for the rest of the drudgery that the show has become.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

this is the problem with SJWs

if a white male did the same annoying poo poo it would be ok to call him annoying, but if a female PoC does it you better not say anything bad about it

BUT MAH QUIZ GAME

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not so much that skeleton warriors are getting in a hissy, it's that everybody else is pointing out you're being a terrible person so you automatically assume it's because of political correctness

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of which, isn't it getting to be about testing time?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently, the filming of this year's college tournament has been postponed until March, with no explanation given other than it'll be "in the news."

...that's not good.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wasn't paying too much attention to the names on tonight's epsiode, but when brandon mentioned having something like 600 game show themes on mp3, i thought he sounded like someone i knew.

i'm still not sure, but if he is the dude i know, he was also a (5 day, i think) champ on tom bergeron's version of hollywood squares.

edit: college tournament champ, still can't figure out if he's the same dude just yet.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 6, 2018

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A bit off the current subject, but I came across this and wanted to say that one of the positive things about Jeopardy fans is the homebrew crowd who put together not just their own games as well as the systems for running games as well:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, maybe the jokers wild will get a third season... :-/

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/julysixteenth/status/976190922382893057?s=19

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been on the internet long enough that any time i find out about the weirder parts managing to jump the gulf into the real world, i just stand back and marvel at how goddamned bizarre this universe is, and then keep right on truckin.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh hey a friend of mine is going to be on.

https://twitter.com/dpmattingly/status/1014153959215386627

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a couple of my friends appreciated dave's mention during the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8tMBUfmM4

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can put that kind of thing on your resume?

...on second thought, maybe my episode of wipeout is best worth not mentioning.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ben will seriously stomp all over the competition

speaking of ben:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQf7tEXFeLY

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
going by the answers for the 9th, assuming I missed it for any answer that seemed unfamiliar, I think I got 40.

of course, that’s all depending on whether or not I get called for an in-person, which hasn’t happened yet.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

going by the answers for the 9th, assuming I missed it for any answer that seemed unfamiliar, I think I got 40.

of course, that’s all depending on whether or not I get called for an in-person, which hasn’t happened yet.

i must apologize, as i have misspoken. i drank a 40 before i did the test.

i have no idea how i actually did

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate funkopops on principle. goddamnit, now I gotta change my thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is all i'm gonna say about my test tonight:

"i have the audition info for supermarket sweep. perhaps you'd be good at that one."

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 31, 2020