Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
I got 47 right (and that's my transcript pasted up there!). But I've already been on Jeopardy; taking the test is just fun to me.

"Distilling" should be fine. Also, someone on jboard.tv said "yellow" for fever and pimpernel, and that should be acceptable too, since yellow fever exists, and there is such a flower as a yellow pimpernel.

edit: To those of you for whom the test or your computer or whatever crapped out, try e-mailing jthelp@sonypictures.com and they might be able to make it so you get a second crack at it for the Wednesday or Thursday test.

iS! fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

jscolon2.0 posted:

Ethiopia > in area than Somalia.

Yeah, but the clue says there are three countries on the Horn of Africa. Because the Horn of Africa is considered to comprise four countries (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, and Somalia), "three countries on the Horn of Africa" must mean the coastal ones, so Ethiopia is out.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

HookShot posted:

Let's face it, there's like an 80% chance the writers forgot Djibouti exists.
Or else they were working from a pre-Eritrea text.

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Goddamn it I just said "mechanic panic" but the clue specifically was plural. I hope they'll accept it. :ohdear:
They would accept it on the show; they're pretty lenient about singular vs. plural when it's not part of a title or some other official name, or there's not a specific number of letters that responses must have.* The thing that would get you dinged in a Rhyme Time category on the show would be having the S at the end of one word but not the other.

*edit: I played against Watson in an untelevised sparring match in October 2010, and won my third and last game because Final Jeopardy said "this 4-letter term" and Watson responded with the correct word's 5-letter plural.

Discount Viscount posted:

Dammit, I missed 15 at least and maybe one more. Blegh blagh blugh.

I put vomiting instead of morning sickness, that'd probably be a "be more specific" situation on the actual show (and I wouldn't have come up with it quick enough.)

Honestly I think they'll have to accept some other responses besides morning sickness, because hyperemesis gravidarum is more than just "extreme morning sickness." And "hyperemesis" pretty much just means "extreme vomiting" anyway.

iS! fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 11, 2013

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram

jscolon2.0 posted:

To celebrate their 30 year anniversary, Jeopardy is apparently having a fan favorites tournament. Remember, it's important not just to vote Jennings, but to not vote for Rutter.

Jennings and Rutter are both automatically in. The voting is to fill one spot per decade, with five choices for each.

Vote for Ryan! He's a wonderful, funny, goony guy who was in the Tournament of Champions with me and lost way too early. Don't let the woman who said "What is a threesome" win!

You can vote on the website, on Facebook, and on Twitter by posting "Ryan #JeopardyVote" (or whichever player's name, but really you should vote for Ryan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
Unless it's late in the match and there's a clearer advantage to betting something in between, Alex is going to bet everything or $100 on Daily Doubles. If he had bet $100 on the last one and everything else had gone exactly the same, Team Buzzy would have been at $19,100 going into Final Jeopardy.

Team Austin's maximum possible total was $23,000, so Team Buzzy would have had to bet $3,901, and fallen to $15,199.
Team Colby finished game 1 with $7,600 and entered the second Final Jeopardy with $7,600, a cumulative total of $15,200.
As long as they bet $0 (and I think they'd have figured out it was the thing to do), they would have won anyway.

Basically, with an incorrect response on the Daily Double and the triple miss that FJ turned out to be, Team Buzzy could only have been saved in that Daily Double by either:
1) an uncharacteristic extra-low bet from Alex (i.e. one or two digits), which would have enabled them to bet less than their cumulative lead over Team Colby to cover Team Austin in FJ; or
2) a bet of slightly more than half their total to that point (more than $7,800 and less than $9,067), which would have left them in a close enough third place that they could have laid out and watched Team Austin and Team Colby topple around them.

So there were 95 + 1,266 = 1,361 wagers out of the 15,596 available to Alex that wouldn't have spelled disaster to Team Buzzy on a miss, and that's all hindsight. On the spot, it's better to assume you have to get it right (which ultimately was true with over 90% of the wagers) and maximize the benefits of doing so.

iS! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 3, 2019