Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Think you answered your own question there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Vanna will be replaced by a deepfake of herself, duh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol @ "repubic" in Final yesterday

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching Monday's game and lol @ the writers making Ken imitate Sylvester the Cat's lisp

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
More like Bye-im Bialik

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In this case, though, calling a B will probably get you more than $1000. It also sucks when they land on like $200, call the B, then spin again, land on $800, and call the W. If you're gonna just keep spinning until you fill out the whole puzzle then save the B for a good spin!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Catching up with Thursday's game and hooray at a contestant giving a response that was already a question without adding "what is"!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty posted:

Incorporate hangman elements and a large spinning wheel.

:hmmyes:

I think maybe "E" is too common of a letter, though, and should earn the player negative dollars

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, both ways of describing it are equally accurate.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

if you win the first three games of a "best of seven", you don't win!

This is true when talking about a "best of seven" series between two competitors, which this isn't.

In this tournament, the first of the three players to win three games wins, meaning the maximum number of games is seven, meaning it can be described equally accurately as "first to three" and "best of seven".

The fact that "best of seven" most commonly describes tournaments with two competitors does not mean it cannot describe tournaments with more than two competitors.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

but it is possible one contestant could win zero games, another three games, and the third contestant four games thereby winning the best of 7

No it isn't because the tournament is over when the first contestant wins three games.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Can we please not relitigate the whole "it's a best of seven / no it's not" thing? It went on for several pages last time.

Maybe if people would stop being wrong about it!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

you're arguing that "best of seven is just what you call any competition where seven is the maximum number of games, regardless of number of participants or games required to win"

I mean, what else could the "of seven" part of the phrase possibly mean?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

1glitch0 posted:

Lets say one contestant on Jeopardy won 3 games straight. That ends the competition. However without that stoppage it's possible another contestant could win the next 4 games making them the winner of a "best of seven" competition. The fact it's stopped early at 3 wins makes it NOT a best of 7 competition but a first to 3 competition.

If play were to continue after Player A wins three, then Player B could win three and so could Player C. That tournament would be neither "first to three" nor "best of seven". As soon as you say "without that stoppage", you're talking about a different tournament format than this one.

This tournament is "first to three" because the first player to win three games takes it AND "best of seven" because the player who performs best within the maximum of seven games takes it. The phrases imply each other and each is sufficient to describe the tournament format.

FrumpleOrz posted:

They're synonyms in this situation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

1glitch0 posted:

But if a maximum of seven games were played the person who won 4 games would win while they would not win if it was cut off at first to 3.

I think this is where you all are getting hung up on this. If there's a maximum of seven games in a three-player tournament, it must end when a player wins three games. If there's a three-player tournament where the first player to win three games wins the tournament, it must have a maximum of seven games.

There's no room to change one way to phrase it without the other way of phrasing it also changing. Both phrases imply and require each other.

Note also other fun conclusions you can draw, like how it's impossible to have a maximum of five or six games in a three-player tournament. (Try it!)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

wa27 posted:

In this tourney they could stop even though playing out the rest could mean someone else wins.

The scenario you're picturing, where Player A wins three games and Player B wins four games, collapses immediately when you ask yourself what happens if Player A wins three, Player B wins three, and Player C wins game seven. Now what? The maximum number of games was seven, but nobody came out the clear winner.

You're entirely fine saying that you don't find "best of seven" intuitive. But both phrases are entirely accurate, because both phrases are describing the exact same tournament format, because the phrases have to match each other or you get contradictions like above.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

you're all brilliant and we need you to :justpost:

ur ded at gooncon

Edit: I think I'm out of ways to explain it anyway. If people aren't going to agree with me by this point, they never will (and I'll see them next year).

CPColin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 17, 2024

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Okay I'll set my alarm

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I wonder who he would say is the best of seven hosts.

Maybe he could name his top three and then stop?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, that's what she said :confused:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
How often do people get banned for "accidentally" saying "grundle" instead?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Can't believe "(Florida) hippopotamus" was wrong

Edit: lol why did Dan wager anything for Final

CPColin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 21, 2024

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That reminds me of an episode of The Chair or The Chamber or whatever where they started a round with a face-off question of "First name of any of the last five First Ladies" and a player rang in and very confidently said, "BUSH!" The other player took a pause of a few seconds and said, "Barbara."

So, naturally, my roomies and I shouted "BUSH!" at each other for several years afterward.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mayim Bialik from the top rope

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"As a verb, this bit of car talk means to choke or strangle someone."

What is "throttle"?

Think they would have accepted "choke"? It's also car talk!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Choke doesn't have the HR that the category needed.

Ohh okay, I missed the category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This reminds me of an exchange I witnessed on IRC decades ago. Two people were arguing about something and one of them busted out the incredible line, "It's nothing personal, I just don't like you."