Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Every Jeopardy fan should read Ken Jennings' book Brainiac, you can get it on Amazon for like a buck and it's very entertaining and contains some valuable info; what you guys are saying ITT is basically correct but the real skill apparently was just timing the buzzer (which is the one thing Watson could do better than both other contestants) as apparently your average Jeopardy contestant could probably get 70%+ of the questions right in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

The Human Cow posted:

If anybody wants some more in-depth information about the audition process and what the day of taping is like, I typed up a couple blog articles here (audition) and here (taping).

Excellent story! But...uh...it seems to cut out at an important part.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

He follows a bunch of FYADers if I'm not mistaken.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

rooting for Ken but I like all these guys. really fun TV and I hope they do it more often

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

it sure as hell seems like they're intentionally making the Daily Doubles even harder than the rest of the clues

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The fact that Ken had to adopt James's strategy to beat him was pretty cool. I was rooting for Ken because I like his book but that last one I wanted anyone else just so we'd get more episodes.

This was really fun, most fun I've ever had watching the show. I like how these guys came off as lifelong friends. Not only the 3 best players but also arguably the only 3 people to get famous as a game show contestant.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

the fact that none of them knew what the new Kanye album was called was hilarious

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Ken's book goes into this stuff in some detail, he talks about how certain categories are not as hard as they look because they tend to stick to names that are well-known in those fields, therefore you only have to memorize a few things. For example if a clue begins "this Spanish philosopher..." there's only gonna be like 2 possible answers.

btw what I find hilarious about nobody knowing the Kanye question is the fact that this is exactly the sort of thing that would bother Kanye for months on end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh poo poo yeah. I just looked it up on YouTube and the very first question was name the 12 members of the Chicago Bulls 1998 Finals roster lmao

holy cow, that's nuts. like most sports fans are gonna get Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, and Harper, but like...who's gonna remember Jud Buchler or Dickey Simpkins