Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrBouvenstein posted:

The downside is it also throws you off your game. That's what Watson did, and he was programmed with "optimal strategy" or whatever.

I always felt that Richard, I think that is his name, should get all the credit for Watson. Sure, he didn't do the programming, but he laid out the strategy of how to win. (He is the guy who held the record before Ken Jennings. He kind of points out that it is a television show, and if they asked contestants for difficult physics equations every other question, they wouldn't have viewers. So, he studied the main things of a variety of categories, and admits "guessing" most of the answers with what is the most cited/quoted thing in the area of the question.) If you step foot on a Jeopardy stage without knowing all your presidents, you are at a loss. There are constant categories and subjects that always come up.

I am not discounting the winners. They are sharp people, but it has been shown there is a method to winning outside of being smart. Hell, even the contestant search flat out states that getting all the questions right doesn't matter, it is still a show. They don't want a week of 12 librarians or attorneys rattling off answers. They have to have variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tide posted:

I've tried for years to get my mother to test for this show but she won't do it. She's scary smart and dings every answer, it seems. Smokes us all in Trivial Pursuit. But she's terrified she'll freeze up then turn psychotic grandmother and beat Trebek over the head with a microphone or something.

I've taken about 4 of the online tests. Made it past the initial written part of the college screening when it was on campus. Do not do this. I don't want this to come off as sounding like I should have gotten on. I played on the Academic Challenge team and will readily admit that most of my schoolmates were far brighter. A handful of my friends can beat me on any day in trivia. However, I have one friend who has tried every single Jeopardy entrance test that he was able to do. Every one. It drives him mad. It is his white whale.

So, take your mom to some pub trivia. Something where she can flex her muscle and have a good time. Do not get her started on the jeopardy pursuit. Like I mentioned, it is a show, not a true contest to find the trivia wizard of the US. She could very well be the smartest trivial knowledge person in the world, but that won't mean she gets on the show.