Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Speaking of her dumb laugh, did anyone notice during Story Time last night that she continued to laugh for like 30 seconds at her stupid "are you in a band?" joke while the bagpipe guy was trying to answer? It also seemed like the lady at the end asked "did you have any questions?" to Mayim because she doesn't know how to interview guests.

As well, it seems like contestants are not only not having fun this week but when they answer they are often clearly looking at the judges instead of her to see if an answer is correct because Mayim is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

Her super-interesting story was about stopping to see the "world's largest oak bucket" on a road trip... "Do you have any questions" was a joke. :geno:

For a Jeopardy story, it was a pretty good bit. They delivered it well, made sure to subtly signal that it was a goofy story while delivering it deadface. I bet as a cocktail story the contestant would have delivered it differently, to a different reception, but J! Story is a different and limited format. As the host, Mayim should have reacted in some way--any way at all--but her boring rear end just stared at her. I do think the contestant was making a joke--but as a coping mechanism to cope with the fact that RoboBialik wasn't programmed to deal with humor (again, her constant laughing at her own joke two contestants later because she's a robot weirdo).

CPColin posted:

If I had to guess, Mayim was just staring at her, at that point. I probably would have reacted the same or wondered if I had a booger on my lip or something.

Yeah, same.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And earlier in theh week, a contestant had to clarify Auburn University when in the same category, just saying Purdue was perfectly fine.

Yeah, and the category was literally about universities so it was implied anyways.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I truly don't even understand why she wants this gig. She gets an insane amount of money off her lovely sitcom. It's not like she's watched the show religiously her entire life and this was a dream of hers, she admitted she rarely watched it before getting the guest hosting invite.

The whole thing feels like the affectation she'd put on if her character in a show had to badly (on purpose) imitate a game show host for laughs.

My idea of why is that she really enjoys the attention and also that it (superficially) makes her look smart, which goes along with her brand that she's cultivated including Big Bang, getting a neuropsych PhD (which Mayim brings up often without provocation), and hocking brain pills. Relatedly, I can't find the study but in undergrad I read about a psych study where the result was "people view the host of a quiz show as very smart because they know all of the answers (especially when contestants don't) and they ignore the fact that the host isn't competing and has the answers in front of them."

As for Mayim doing a bad job, I don't think she realizes it. I'm curious how the "stop saying ''single jeopardy'" conversation went down because I can only assume someone told her to officially stop doing that.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you for linking this.

So she blames everyone else on the set and that the sheet she's given says "single jeopardy" despite other hosts not reading it that way (and that she didn't always read it like that).

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 13, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Context posted:

And then Kelly Clarkson (who I don’t really fault here) wheels it around to “why do those nerds even care so much - worry about something that actually matters”, and Bialik goes right along with it. No acknowledgment that Jeopardy is one of the few remaining pieces of mainstream pop culture that celebrates intellectualism, or of the history of the institution that she’s fronting. She just shows up, reads the paper in front of her, and listens to the voices in her earpiece.

Yeah, I don't fault Kelly, either. She' s just going along with the conversation. If this was a "serious" news show (and plenty of them are terrible) I'd want a more nuanced reaction. But also, if "complaining about making up phrasing for Jeopardy! shouldn't happen because we could be talking about homelessness" then... "why even talk about Jeopardy!"? The clip is really good for explaining (as the poster who quoted me responded to) how did she stop saying Single Jeopardy?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Dryb posted:

I can't stand the constant comments/moans when she gets a question wrong, when the others still have the chance to ring in.

Same. I get being outgoing but it feels like she talks up like it is just her and the host.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

Also Mattea would have been like one year old when the Elian Gonzalez thing happened, you're all old.

This is a good time to propose my theory that Mattea is not 23 years old but like hundreds because she's a cool witch of some sort. She crushes historical categories like no other and I feel like it makes sense overall.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

"Your honor, yes we're trying this person for the same charges twice but it's okay because we didn't call it 'first jeopardy" during the initial trial."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Orzo posted:

That's correct, Maxim Bialik.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I haven't seen a celebrity on J! for so long.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyeU8zq_Lc&t=87s

For context: this directly relates to Jeopardy!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 27, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah that final sucked.

With no other information than the word Omaha, not even the sport, I guessed it was football because I associate football with the Midwest (I don't watch football ever). With a limited number of recent football names available I did go with Manning.

But the saying Omaha clue was completely stupid. I searched his Wikipedia page and it doesn't mention the word Omaha even once.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Holy poo poo a full category dedicated to infomercializing their cryptocurrency. Gross.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's not real though, and they seemed to be making fun of crypto if anything :confused:

I am quoting you as a foundation but most of my response is going to be about J! I am not coming at you.

It wasn't obvious that it was a joke. Our current host sells scammy brain pills and Mike Richards is an exploitive rear end in a top hat so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually minted their own coin.

As well, none of the clues were funny and did not seem to be obvious jokes (outside of crypto being a joke). If it was a good category they would have criticized crypto instead of endorsing it. Talking about stuff like stablecoin endorses that it is a safe investment. The "clean crypto" also puts crypto in a good light without educating people on why crypto is terrible for the environment. No critique, only justifications for the commodity.

If I recall correctly there was no disclaimer that it was not real. If anything, they leaned into the theme. "That's our exclusive Jeopardy! cryptocurrency" and so forth. I can already imagine how many olds (and others) will be scammed into buying fake jeopcoin from predators and feel confident because the show described it as real. Additionally so for what I've described above. People might also think that crypto overall is legitimate based on this.

"Joke" (in the conservative sort of "joke" in which the response is "you didn't know I was just joking despite no clues" backpedaling) or not, J! really hosed this one up.

edit:
Here are US politicians promoting crytpo for retirement investments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqK1MCdaBsU&t=199s

edit2:
vvvvvvvv yeah, that's why I don't like that they used that since "stable" infers, well, stability and not is not present. I should have added that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Vintersorg posted:

Mick Jagger

I got triggered by this.

Bad snipe so:
Sir Caine explains that you can best say his name if you say the phrase "my cocaine."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah, imdb only gives credit if your name is on screen. I've tried...

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Trigger poo poo below.

Really hosed up that the fathers day category had multiple dead dads including one who committed suicide.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

This?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anneea...sh=1b3f8a7d6783

White power okay sign and wrong word re: Roma not retaped.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 19, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Turd Ferguso

This is not inappropriate. You can't just pretend I was going to write an "n" at the end.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Some people get really pissed if you call Mayim Blossom.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

She is currently asking us to update the way we address her:

This show will be wildly successful and she won't have to worry about that other name anymore because the sociocultural impact will be so massive everyone will be calling her Kat.

For real, though, I don't know her character name on Big Bang because I don't like the show. I don't even know much about Blossom but it was culturally impactful. And I don't know any name other than Sheldon from Big Bang and I (personally) only know about that because of dumb boomers repeating it often. That guy will always be known as Sheldon to many people. If Jaleel White was the current host and also stated that he didn't even watch the show, was a vaxx denier, blamed women for suffering abuses, and sold brain pills I would still call him Urkel. But I still had to look up his name on wikipedia to write that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

The Sean posted:

I think I did itt, lemme check.

edit: nope, but I did call him that irl even though I know his name.

HookShot posted:

Sorry, I misread your post, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.

But none of these people have hosted the show. Mayim Bialik has, though, and they say her name at the very beginning of each episode. It has been mentioned hundreds of times in this thread. But hey, by all means, keep doubling down on how you're not a misogynist because you treat men the same way. Telling people you're not a misogynist instead of showing them you're not through your actions is definitely a great way to get people to believe you!

Mysogyny is definitionally treating women differently than men, specifically in negative differences of treatment, so I don't know what to say. Sorry we don't know eachother IRL or I could show you through actions. That's impossible so we're at an impasse. I only recognize you in this thread (I don't really pay attention to most users) but from this I feel like you're a cool and good person. We disagree here, though. I'm not going to continue this in thread but feel free to PM if you want. Either way I hope that you have a good rest of your day.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 20, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

Have we all run afoul of this site's motto?

Don't check the official forums rules page at the bottom... (btw I have reached out to a bunch mods/admins (and have the receipts) to ask for this to be changed and was told that it is not a priority and, in some cases, that it is supposed to be like that.)

Anyways I'm pumped for ToC. So many good champions this year. I want all three to win but I selfishly want to see Matt, Amy, and Ryan to duke it out.

Also different topic, when Mattea (a Canadian) there were so many Canada-themed questions/categories. On one episode Dr. Bialik mentioned that the categories are chosen weeks (months?) in advance but it feels non-coincidental. Since they ended their streak I don't feel like there has been as much concentration on the topic. I feel like math teachers get a math category often, and so forth. To what extent are they chosen ahead of time and how?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 20, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well she's not vaccinated, so there's hope....

From the article: "A spokesperson for the game show host said that she's fully vaccinated."

:smith:

"Bialik has asthma, making her immunocompromised."

:unsmith:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

With the Tweedle Dee thing my main complaint is that the contestant added extra words but Dr. Bialik shortened the answer from what the contestant said to what the answer is. I paused at this point and said to my partner, "she's just using her power to help contestants she likes." Specifically because a few moments earlier the guy on the right said "saturday night" but didn't accept it because there was an extra word. I can't remember an situations specifically but I felt like she helped out Mattea at least once, too.

I was happy that she was told that she had to correct it.

Calling it Single Jeopardy defense: "I just say what they put on the card. There are 50 people that work there that I can blame it on."
Contestant's answer isn't what's on the card: "I'll fix that for you!"

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 23, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

There's no way she's intentionally cheating (which is, like, illegal) because she favors certain contestants.

I am attacking the law concept, not you.

"Prove that she intentionally favors certain contestants."

"Deedle Dee and Deedle Dumb"

"She's constantly stupid. Try to prove that she favors certain people!* **"

*aside that she literally in the same episode, a few questions apart, said someone was wrong for adding an extra word and then accepted that person's answer with an extra name/two words.
** but prove she had intent!

HookShot posted:

but she definitely obviously has favorite contestants in some episodes which is really off-putting because absolutely the gently caress not.

Yeah, exactly. One thing I try to internalize in life is "don't attribute to malice what you could instead attribute to stupidity." But that only applies to intent. Bad results are still bad results.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 23, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

MokBa posted:

She straight up interrupted a player yesterday just to tell her she was in the lead. How is she getting actively worse at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS88xwgKTwA

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

On a local newpaper website, I encountered a woman who kept posting WW11. When I asked her what happened to WW3 through WW10, she got angry and reported me the moderator. I got banned.

amab

edit vvvvv

all mods are bad

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 27, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

banned from Starbucks posted:

What the gently caress is a unit of cultural transmission? Who would even think to answer meme to that?

If you google the definition of meme you will see that phrasing a lot. Mostly because that's what a meme is.

Fun fact for the class: Hitler thought "kilroy was here" was evidence that a high-level spy visited and tagged a wall or whatever.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 28, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I got the concept of the question pretty easily bit guessed Miami instead.

Florida also has a New York lol.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeah, I don't remember the clue/question but I distinctly remember him saying something definitely not correct and it going unaddressed. Sort of hated the way the winner gloated but they took out the Christian lady so fine for now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I found a Trivial Pursuit answer book at work and I am completely pumped for studying all the poo poo (like geography) that I don't know.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm torn because I don't like religious questions but on the other hand they implied that the bible just misinterpreted a natural event.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

These past two episodes were the worst. Someone needs to tell Dr. Brainpills to stop loving laughing off screen all throughout contestants' "funny" stories. The jokes have been written really poorly. I wonder if, like most conservative workplaces, they've been losing staff and just have the shittiest writers left.

1glitch0 posted:

I was thinking during tonight's show that they should have Chris Hardwick do a post-Jeopardy show where B list celebs can talk about what new gently caress ups Mayim Bialik did.

The Soup used to cover it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkbvangadWs

edit:
lol googling for more content this came up from the first page:

Rousimar Pauladeen posted:

Jeopardy is my all time favorite game show. If someone can find the youtube of "canadian teen awkwardly tells story" about going to the bear park but not seeing a bear I will love you forever.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Soup has a semi-recurring bit called "Cool story, Jeopardy contestant!" and they had a lot of fun with this one.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 15, 2022

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

By the way, anyone who uses her gender, ethnicity, religion or other dogwhistle as grounds for ousting her need to conduct a self colonoscopy with a running Husqvarna.

Huh?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

You should only dislike her for her piss-poor hosting skills and nothing else is what I got.

I more meant, "who is even saying any of those things?" I quoted them specifically for their clarification.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

I just dove into too deep a rabbit hole about this but I think Metamorphoses (pronounced the way the dude did it in his DD) should have been given correct.

Yeah, I really think so, too. Even if it's not what he meant, if he just pronounced it that way it should be the same answer either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

This post certainly does! I mean, I'm assuming, because that's basically the best case scenario when someone calls a Jewish person's religious views "heinous".

They're not saying Judaism is bad, they're saying her particular interpretation and application of Judaism is bad.

Like I don't care if someone is Christian but if they openly state that their religion enables their homophobia and harm of LGBTQ+ persons then their religious beliefs are heinous.