Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite super easy final recently was the "Evolution" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Any of Copernicus, Kepler, or Galileo would have been a fair guess. The only distinguishing thing was the quote. I went with Copernicus but I had no more reason to choose him than the other two.
The way the clue was written the answer was pretty obviously "guy who figured out the earth goes around the sun and not the other way around" which makes it pretty obvious which one of the three it is.

The super easy final jeopardies are really weird, I don't like them, Jeopardy is supposed to end with a difficult question, drat it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The final clue stumped me on both Madonna categories, I almost ran both categories :argh:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had a friend over for a couple of weeks and it was hilarious when we'd watch Jeopardy because she would get so attached to certain contestants, and whenever someone would make a big wager in a DD or final she would squeal and go "OH MY GOD LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY THEY LOST/WON!!!" and it was basically hilarious because my husband and I just watch it for the questions, and never really thought about the wagers that way.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah Jeff is my favourite too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

"What is a meme?"

That's it I'm done watching this

"On the website imagegur"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Jeff is awesome, gently caress the haters.

But yeah I think Alan's going to win.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the intelligence level hasn't been the best so far.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How the gently caress do you NOT get Spice Girls as the answer to that FJ?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was definitely cheering for him after that 11k bet.

Also I have a soft spot for anyone who's good at the geography categories.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can name MAYBE ten presidents (Can you tell I'm Canadian?) and even I figured it would have been Truman or Johnson. Unfortunately I guessed Truman because he was earlier, but holy poo poo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That certainly explains why my DVR never records the Friday episode of Jeopardy.

I keep forgetting to go to the Canadian channel that has it on at 7:30 and record it then on Fridays until after I've noticed that I'm missing it, and my DVR sucks too much to go forward a whole week at a time, so I always end up forgetting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The video that they aired sounded like what the article said originally happened, so I doubt they did retape it, or if they did I don't think they aired it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was so angry at the contestants two days ago who couldn't get "The Fellowship of the Ring" as the book with the chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship". If only there was a way all three of them could have lost :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
God the three people tonight were idiots.

I like Trebek explaining to them like five year olds where the west side of South America is.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Also "Trinidad and Tobago"

"I suck at this category so let's make it a true Daily Double please Alex"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sucrose posted:

"This Axis leader was captured trying to cross the Swiss Alps in 1945."

4-time Champion: "Hitler!"

The weird thing is I'm pretty sure the clue said they were trying to cross into Austria, but Mussolini was trying to get into Switzerland.

But yeah thank god for that guy finally losing, though watching him get his rear end kicked in the ToC would have been rewarding.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As absolutely hilariously awful as it would have been, I'm pretty sure Jeopardy would have edited it out had that happened.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I was thinking Russell Crowe but apparently he didn't get one for A Beautiful Mind

I was thinking Russel Crowe for a Beautiful Mind and Braveheart because I forgot it was actually Mel Gibson in Braveheart haha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

So nobody else noticed that the previous champ guessed on the very last clue, got it wrong, and thus eliminated herself from contention? Come one people!

And it was a stupid guess, "Rome" is never going to be the $2000 answer in a category about Italian cities and towns :colbert:

(Though that said Florence was a pretty easy answer to get from that clue, too easy for $2k as well IMO)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nice work!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite thing about that champ that lost tonight was how he would always immediately go for the geography categories and proceed to get none of the answers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Rebecca was definitely the least likeable contestant in a while.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Incorrect, she had an excellent hat.

Her hat was excellent.

It's too bad she had absolutely no personality (or manners). I can stand the monotone, but please is still the magic word :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've never read anything by Fleming and I picked it as James Bond. I think they've been getting easier.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Speaking of easy FJ... if you'd given me that category and clue and asked me to guess the value I would have said it was a $200, MAYBE $400 clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

nikosoft posted:

We play a game in my house where we have to guess the correct answer to FJ just based on the category. I won tonight :)
Haha yeah, me too.

wa27 posted:

It baffles me how so many people say 'Weird Al' Yankovich instead of Yankovic. The only two famous people with that surname spell it without an H, so where did it come from? Even Alex commented on the correct spelling but pronounced it with the H.

Come on, people!
It is pronounced "ch" in slavic languages. We just don't write it with the little accent that makes it "ch". Alex was correct, though even Weird Al himself has Anglicized it enough that he pronounces it "Yankovik"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

She was way behind and needed the high value clues to get back over 0. It was a valid strategy given the circumstances.

She was doing it before then though, like that's also what got her into the hole in the first place.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I said 11 :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I guessed "either Wagner and Back or Wagner and Handel"

:suicide:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

So glad Jeopardy doesn't air on CBS here in NYC, because otherwise it'd be preempted by March Madness. I give entirely no shits about college basketball, and I'm glad it doesn't really affect my TV viewing habits.

Also, why the hell did I decide to wade into the Jeopardy Facebook page? People bitch entirely too much on there. Some of it might be justified if the judges legit get a ruling wrong, but most of it is just pointless, but I still take a look anyway, if only to run into other former contestants and champions there...

Maybe this is why my PVR hasn't recorded it for the past two days, I record the Boston feed but seeing as I'm in Vancouver I have no idea about things like this.

At least today I noticed before 7:30 and recorded the local one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cindy gave so many dumb answers in the first round that I wanted her to lose on that basis alone.

But yeah, Gautham. Oh dear.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Umm maybe I'm dumb but it won't let me put in a Canadian postal code this year? What's up with that, are we not allowed to do it anymore?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

I think someone posted on the Jeopardy Facebook page regarding that, and I seem to remember a couple hours back that whoever controlled that social media account said that it was an oversight and should be fixed now. New form to fill out means things like that might fall through the first time around.
Yeah, I get it for sure. It still hasn't been fixed though, this morning it still asks me for a zip code.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently, according to the Jeopardy Facebook page, you need to try it a couple of times. The person who posted the original complaint said she needed a couple attempts before it went through after the person controlling the social media account said it was fixed.

Cool, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I could translate most of the spanish pretty literally (I got "little gold" but had no idea what team that referrred to) but know so few American sports teams apart from hockey ones that I answered "Denver Broncos" for the first one and was surprised when it was wrong :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha yeah, that dude ruled.

The best was when he spent like 20 seconds deciding what to bet on one of the daily doubles. I couldn't even be mad at all the time he was wasting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to score well enough on the test to deserve Corinna's email.

I think two years ago when I did the test I got around 29.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Welp, so the power went out here at 5:00, and didn't come back on until 8:15, so I missed the test.

I have no data on my phone and the power going out meant the garage door was stuck closed, so I had no way to get to the village either. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have done well enough to get an audition anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the first test I would have done WAY better on than tonight's or yesterday's. Yesterday's I'm pretty sure I would have scored about 10, whereas I had a chance at 35 on the first day.