Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

That final :psyduck: How do you see Pele and not immediately think Hawaii?

I'm almost certain most people would see Pele and think Brazil.

To be fair, I didnt get it. I knew it was a volcano but didnt know which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

GhostStalker posted:

I think that with the amount of interaction with each other that former megachamps have online on social media and in person at like trivia events, having one being the host of Jeopardy would probably run afoul of federal anti-game show rigging rules, preventing any sort of mega tournament featuring them from being held soon after Alex is replaced, and that would likely not be something that Harry Friedman would want to give up as a way to boost ratings at that time.

Alex did put forward a couple of names in an interview a couple years back before the cancer news hit, when the renewal of his contract hadn’t even official yet. I remember that one was a woman who was a local sports broadcaster? I forget the exact details of who he put forward.

He recommended Alex Faust who is the LA Kings Play-by-Play caller on Fox Sports West. When asked for a female candidate, I believe he gave someone from a CNN political show but I forgot who.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

My reaction too! According to @thejeopardyfan there was a tech issue and the go lights didn’t turn on for that clue. Not sure why they didn’t replace it, maybe they were obligated to advertise it or something

Given Alex mentioned it opens this week, I bet the latter. Especially since Sony via Tristar is releasing it.

Funny how it was funded by the Chinese government (via Tencent) though. They likely would've hated him.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Seems obvious to me, 1901 event (Pan-American Expo) overtaken by another event at the location (McKinley assassination). Bringing up City of Light was a red herring since no president would otherwise go to Buffalo

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, you’re Canadian (my wife didn’t know it either).

I knew it instantly, but I am a big Teddy Roosevelt fan, read a 3 book biography on him, so I knew instantly McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo. I never knew why McKinley was there until the clue though.

Btw, who is this Tom Hanks people were talking about a few nights ago?

Some actor who was a D&D movie then dressed as a woman.

Given I live near Oyster Bay, Not getting it would've been embarassing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vulture Culture posted:

sup fellow ligoon

How's it going?

Anyway, Austin (via TMZ) bought up a interesting point, since all the contestants are known quantities, the clue staff can customize the board to hit their weaknesses as much as possible.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe, but introducing intentional bias into the questions starts to get into quiz show fixing territory in a way that's legally discouraged since the 1960 amendments to the Telecommunications Act

Good point, Between the feds, Disney, Sony and whoever else, the clue writers have their work cut out for them. Especially if it goes the full seven games

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Weird, I'm on the other side I guess and thought that was insanely easy. I thought "scrumdiddlyumptious" was a dead giveaway.

Ditto, the year matched up & Dahl was British. Seuss was American so that wouldn't make sense at all

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Good to know his sets on the Jeopardy! Comedy Hour translate to Twitter

As for the games, the questions seen to vary between from bone crushing difficult (makes sense given the stakes) or unusually easy. My mother however thinks most of the categories are too male-centric (Cybersecurity being a example) and that they should be more gender neutral. It's probably nuts but has anyone else noticed anything?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

You shouldn't call your wife nuts.

She was more offended being referred to as mother. We both know I'm the crazy one

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

you broke my grill posted:

actually your mother is misogynistic for assuming that females don't know about cybersecurity
It wasn't intentional, She really doesn't like computers. She was more annoyed over the film categories since she doesn't watch them too often. She didn't even know Plummer was in The Sound of Music!

She (and Mrs. IN) were a lot happier that Ms. HookShot validated her theory of a male centric board. With the new head writer, new producer and new host , that could change.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPColin posted:

Ken's incredulous reaction to that was great, too

I'm not even sure he knew that happened. He looked like he was trying to puzzle out the idea of Kanye making a gospel album

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Unkempt posted:

Rules for a sport, 19th century, named after a British nobleman? Stupidly obvious. Can't believe nobody got it.

The only thing I whiffed on was the title. What other British nobles have sports connections besides Queensbury and Stanley?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

Oh, man, Trebek sounds terrible tonight. :sigh:

I noticed it too, didn't he say he had a cold?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
9/11/73 was when Pinochet backed by the US took over Chile in a coup

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Can't really picture Alex coming out to Voodoo Chile but Friedman tends to be a good booker

(If anyone can turn Jeopardy into MST3K, It's these three)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
How on Earth did they all miss Final? It's the first scene of Lawrence of Arabia!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I don't know what was stranger to me, the fact that everyone whiffed on Final on a gimme or that my mother didn't know about the Shakespeare play (one I had to read in high school) much less the person's death.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Invites expired

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Thank you

As for these forums, Sic transit mundus

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
So I just noticed SA finally changed owners, have I missed anything here?

Can't be worse than 2 people missing a chance at Final

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Alex said he wanted a woman of color to replace him.

Is that why he's jokely said Betty White?

It'll be someone Sony and CBS feel comfortable with, willingly take a salary a fifth or so of what Alex made and has flexibility to sign a long term deal. Not sure how deep the talent pool is there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Konstantin posted:

While I'm sure he's doing more important things, Barack Obama would be perfect. He can take on a professorial tone without sounding elitist or condescending, he's incredibly intelligent, and he has charisma.

I have to agree. He has the right blend of authoritative, intelligence and cadence in his voice that fits the show like a glove. It got him to the White House after all.

He'd never do it even if you gave him Alex's salary and tripled it but that's the voice they should be aiming for. It's why I don't think Ken is a good fit at being the host as it is.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

i say swears online posted:

obama does a great job of reading the first part of each question but gives up 1/4 of the way through

I don't think they change the judges after the first commercial break who then refuse to let him read the remaining questions in favor of new questions bashing him mercilessly.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MisterZimbu posted:

Only if all video clues are that one clip from Mac and Me.

Someone has the continue the tradition after Conan's retirement next year, why not Jeopardy!?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In exhibit 937 of how bizarre 2020 has been, Ken is now nominated for a Grammy while The Weeknd was shut out

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2021-grammys-complete-nominees-list#17

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Porfiriato posted:

Considering he does the Omnibus podcast with longtime indie rocker John Roderick, it would be kind of hilarious if Ken was the Grammy winner on their show.

Ken could tease him by making him say Grammy nominated before a episode anyway.

As for winning? Given he's going up aganist Flea, Meryl Streep, Ronan Farrow and Rachel Maddow; It would be a colossal upset if he gets it. Not that it matters too much but for once it is a actual honor to be nominated.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

skaboomizzy posted:

My take is that if Ken wants the job, it'll be his unless he's just god-awful in his interim role. I don't think he will be god-awful.

That's what I'm expecting. It's pretty obvious he was brought on as a producer to be the heir apparent and the host job is his to lose. A few stupid tweets shouldn't sink him though he might be told to keep them politically correct going forward.

As for his other shows, if Alex can hold down three shows at the same time, Ken can too. It helps that he only has to do The Chase part time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know about Jeopardy in particular, but I know that the syndicated daytime trash will film a week's worth of episodes in a single day, and those are hour long episodes.

I didn't know that about the talk shows but it's well documented about Jeopardy doing 5 shows in 1 tape day so it's not a schedule issue if they're spaced out properly.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I did ok for Alex's final episode, but when Ken started choking up during his opening speech that got me.

I think he did fine, he just doesn't have the right voice for it....but that's also biased coming off of Alex. I still want Levar Burton. Too bad James Earl Jones is 89.

EDIT: gently caress me, Morgan Freeman is 83. Who will narrate our lives when they're gone :negative:

Keith David maybe

As for Ken, given the circumstances he did better than I expected. He doesn't have the type of voice that commands authority but it's clear he has respect for the game and the players. Since he did record thirty games, a better judgment should be made then.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wow, I hadn’t heard that Ken was in for six weeks. Seems like a lot, especially since I think Katie Couric is only doing one week?

I guess I buried the lede for some but he has at least six weeks

The New York Times posted:

On Monday, the trial period starts with Ken Jennings, the record-breaking “Jeopardy!” contestant, who has already taped at least 30 episodes

It's grossly unfair to judge based on one emotionally piqued episode. Assuming Bean Dad and his Twitter account didn't knock him out of the running, six weeks should be enough to make a fair assessment on Ken

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I was hoping for people that were seriously being considered of becoming the permanent host but I don't see any of them as anything but ringers to goose the ratings. Rodgers is a interesting choice though.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Good thing for Rodgers that COVID is still going on otherwise fans of the Bears, Lions and Vikings would try to kill him.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

I don't know why everyone wants Levar so bad. He's great, but he has nothing to do with Jeopardy.

I concur, it seems that the parts of the internet that is Jeopardy related has collectively decided he is the only person worthy enough to host & it drives me nuts. Apparently, they forget it's CBS & Sony's call & if they don't want him, that's that.

You don't have to take my word for it though.

As for the new hosts, just more stunt casting with people who likely wouldn't accept the permanent gig. I am interested in how Aaron Rodgers does however.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 3, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m really hoping this is the case.

That's what I think too. It's likely the reason why Ken has 6 weeks and everyone but the producer has one. He gets his feet wet and then CBS gets to goose the ratings with guest hosts they like until the hiatus in June. Since the whole bean dad debacle died off & the reception to him as host has been positive, the job looks to be his barring another calamity.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Condolences to his family but holy Jesus nobody should go out at 24.

It’s also none of our business what happened, only the family and coroner’s office.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Now that his six weeks are done, what's the verdict on Ken?

Personally, while I have some quibbles with his voice (though so did Alex and his start) he would be fine as a replacement. He just needs to find his own rhythm and not be a copy of Alex.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

More than anyone else, I'd like to see what LeVar Burton can do as guest host. Either of those two would make fantastic hosts.

I'm not convinced he's on Sony or ViacomCBS shortlist despite his ties to Star Trek and NCIS: New Orleans but it seems with the exception of Ken that the list consists of current figures in the public eye with ties to Sony (Dr. Oz) or CBS (almost everyone else) & the occasional guest spot doesn't cut it. If they wanted him, he should've been a early choice.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

Ken was probably in Seattle, which means they'd have the same problem flying people in during a lockdown.

Mike explicitly said it was a scheduling conflict with The Chase that kept Ken off.

I actually prefer him so far to Ken. Voice is much better, presence is polished as you'd expect from a veteran & mostly gets out of the way.

He'd never take the permanent gig due to EPing both Jeopardy! & Wheel of Fortune but the shows seem to be in good hands with him in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Outside of Ken, how many of these people have a realistic shot of hosting Jeopardy? Yes, it's only a 2 day per 2 weeks job but given a good amount of them have a Monday to Friday job makes it tricky to schedule