Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gosh Darn Redneck
Nov 16, 2011

I've never played SMG2. Played the first one though and really liked it. Maybe I should try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I loved the poo poo out of both the Galaxy games. There's some fantastic levels in both of them, and they do some great stuff with the gravity effects. I never got around to mastering either game, but I did beat and snag at least 120 from each.

Definitely looking forward to this one. Galaxy 2 really streamlines things, adds some awesome stuff, and removes some/all of those drat mini-games that could slog down the first one (well, I really only hated the surfing one).

drat, now I want to replay both games again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, I liked the Observatory in Galaxy one, but I love the poo poo out of the Faceship. Its official music (which we haven't heard yet) is loving awesome, and it grows into a pretty drat cool place as the game progresses.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I love this game a lot because every level does something new. You go into a level and it introduces a new idea right off the bat, and you beat that level and go onto the next and you're doing something different. It's amazing how much gameplay Nintendo squeezed into it. Admittedly not every idea is a good one, but the sheer variety is pretty boggling.

Going to be following this one pretty closely. Man, I wish I had my Wii with me right now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

General Ironicus posted:

This run is already a failure because you didn't pick the Luigi head for your save file. Rookie mistake.

Uh-oh. I feel a 5 paragraph report psychoanalyzing his lack of game prowess because of said mistake. The implications of said choice will cause the Galaxy to again be destroyed.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Vicas posted:

welcome to the club
Already here brah, this'll be fun for us to watch in catharsis.

Vicas posted:

Her special abilities are jumping a little lighter and getting very close to fires.
Meaning Daisy would make an excellent news reporter, Frank-West style. You won't even need a name tag printed when she remembers her name so well.

"HI, I'M DAISY 8D"

...I kinda wish they go back to Sarasaland one day in a Mario game, why not expand her world some if you're bringing her in so much?

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012
Played the first one and sold my Wii before Galaxy 2 came out, I'm excited to see this game played through. Definitely a thread I'll be following.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But it sold well, right? I mean, it's a core Mario title.

Edit:

Can you go into this more? I'm legitimately curious as to how one can feel this. Not that Galaxy 1 isn't a loving excellent game, but I honestly can't think of any reason to prefer it over the sequel.

Now it's been a while since I played either but:

Galaxy seemed fresher at the time, and seemed to have less, for lack of a better term, bullshit. The forced gating of levels especially later on in Galaxy 2 was annoying. I also found the difficulty curve better in the first game. It seemed like more of a legit challenge, where I was still having fun even if I was failing, rather than some of the stars in 2 coming off as just plain frustrating.

Now like I like both, and there are bits of Galaxy 2 I like better. It's more streamlined and has some more variety. But pound for pound I think Galaxy 1 is more polished and the better overall experience.

To put things in perspective though, if I were forced to score them though, Galaxy would be a 10 and Galaxy 2 a 9.0. So I'm kind of splitting hairs. They're both really fun games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love this game. :allears: Galaxy was good but I loved 2 much more. As has been mentioned by most everyone, it took the masterpiece that was Galaxy and somehow made it even better. Will be following intently.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Chunky12345 posted:

I've never fully beaten this game despite being one star away from finishing it. drat that star. :argh:

I stopped playing at that star too, after about 30 or so attempts. A long while after, I played through the entire game again getting all the stars, and managed to get that star on my second or third try.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

My biggest complaint with this game is that the hub planet didn't have the Luigi face I chose at the beginning :colbert:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Thankfully, Mario just rubs a coin on his legs and he's good to go.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
Awesome, been waiting for this one ever since you talked about it on Retsutalk. Real good stuff!

What is it with Nintendo characters and spaceships that look like their heads?

Adelynn
Nov 10, 2012
Hot-Diggety Dog. :toot:

I've played the original a bunch, but I've never gotten to play 2 and I don't have the means to acquire it right now. So, I'm looking forward to this. :allears:

I've heard mixed things about it in the past, although the main complaint was usually "more of the same".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love this game. It has more of a retro feel to it than the first one. I think I'll even play along with the LP!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love this game.

Also, here's a guy who's gotten every star. :smug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I love this game.

Also, here's a guy who's gotten every star. :smug:

My condolences.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just wanna say the music in SMG2 (and SMG1) rules. Every game needs a fully orchestrated soundtrack because it makes the game magical.

Also SMG1's hub world was great if only for the progression of the main theme from a lovely, quiet little ditty to an incredibly rich and warm piece of music that is one of my all time favourite video game pieces.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Oh my god, every star? Even those at the end?

You have my sympathizes sir. After I did that crap I never wanted to 100% a game ever again. I'm looking forward to this one though.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
This is looking like it'll be a lot of fun to watch. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get enjoy this game when I played it, but I feel like I really should've liked it, so maybe this LP will help me realize that it's actually a good game. Though despite not really liking it, I did get half of the stars before calling it quits, for whatever that's worth.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This game plays a lot better than Galaxy 1. My only complaint is that they took out the best powerup, the ice flower. And I really expected them to use the flying thing you could unlock in Galaxy 1 in some way.

That didn't stop me from getting all the stars, though. Even if that last one is bullshit.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
This game is awesome. The power-ups are fun, the levels are fun and somewhat clever, the aesthetics in some of the galaxies are fun, and it's got a good amount of content. You kinda owe it to yourself to play this game if you enjoyed the first one at all.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
I always liked the little touch where if you smack an enemy with the spin they drop Star Bits, and if you stepped on them they dropped coins. It's a cute little thing, I like it.

I feel like I might start playing along and finally finish this game. I think I stopped somewhere in the middle last time and I know I missed a lot of stuff, so this will be a fun ride.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ReturnOfFable posted:

You have my sympathizes sir. After I did that crap I never wanted to 100% a game ever again. I'm looking forward to this one though.

I did this when the game came out and had nothing but fun the entire time. I don't understand where the "getting all of the stars is the worst thing" sentiment comes from.

That said I am an ocean away from my wii, so I am looking forward to seeing this game in it's entirety again.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I never owned a Nintendo. I am gonna watch the poo poo out of this.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ReturnOfFable posted:

All of the stars were fun in their own way, if you ask me. Sure, there are ones that make you want to tear your hair out, but I can't say it's not rewarding.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I checked the lparchives and saw that no one has completed a Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2-LP so far. You'd think a main Mario game would attract more people, but then again, they're pretty big games, especially the second one. Go boldly where no man has gone before, Diabetus!

Also, will you do certain stars that can be gained differently or become harder to get with Luigi? The best example I can come up now would be the Purple Coin Challenge on Luigi (you know the one, in Toy Time Galaxy), but there's a couple of stars where Luigi's superior jumping abilities open alternate routes

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Never played SMG2 but enjoyed the heck out of SMG1 so will be following this to see what I missed.

As for the broken legs, Mario had to get certified as a skydiver to use the cape in Super Mario World so he knows proper landing techniques :smuggo:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Man I loved SMG2. Definitely a fun game, and better than Galaxy. Shame some people just write it off as a cheap sequel, even though I can see where they're coming from.

Also liking your commentary for this.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Never played SMG2 but enjoyed the heck out of SMG1 so will be following this to see what I missed.

As for the broken legs, Mario had to get certified as a skydiver to use the cape in Super Mario World so he knows proper landing techniques :smuggo:

But there's no atmosphere in space!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I loved SMG2's levels. Yoshi, drill power-up, better gimmicks overall. (Spoiler tag just in case) But I thought the real shame is that this seemed more like a level pack than a new game. It was more challenging and much more fun, but nothing that truly distinguished it as a game. Nintendo has such a fantastic track record of making sequels different yet still better (SMB 3, Yoshi's Island, even recently there was goddamn NSMB 2 with the coins) that I found nothing to really set this apart.

It wasn't a cheap sequel, there's a lot of quality here. It just seems like a large DLC instead of a new game.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

ReturnOfFable posted:

I take it that 100%ing both SMG1 and SMG2 twice over would brand me as a total nutcase then?

Regarding the hub areas, I actually found the Mario head spaceship more engaging to explore than the Observatory from Galaxy 1. Aside from a cool power-up you can get in the Observatory there really isn't very much to see in there. That might just be me though.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The opening to Galaxy 1 had Bowser show up at the Mushroom Kingdom with an armada of space galleons and blast the crap out of it with volleys of cannon fire, before hauling the castle away with a giant UFO and blasting Mario out into space.

This time he just shows up and glowers at everyone. I'm not feeling particularly menaced here.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Loxbourne posted:

The opening to Galaxy 1 had Bowser show up at the Mushroom Kingdom with an armada of space galleons and blast the crap out of it with volleys of cannon fire, before hauling the castle away with a giant UFO and blasting Mario out into space.

This time he just shows up and glowers at everyone. I'm not feeling particularly menaced here.

But now he's HUUUUUUGE!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

PureRok posted:

But now he's HUUUUUUGE!
It's another quest of galactic proportions in Super Mario Galaxy 2. With new worlds, new powers, and new friends, join Mario on his journey to collect more Stars than ever before. But watch out! Bowser's back and he's bigger, bigger, and more big than ever [ed: need more adjectives]!

Oh no!

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004

:yoshi: Part II - Starship Mario + Yoshi Star Galaxy :yoshi:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Dave_O)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Yoshi Star Galaxy theme

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Every time you pause, My brain keeps expecting slowbeef to chime in.

I played SMG briefly, and I didn't like it. I think it may be time to correct that mistake and play through both of these. Maybe I'll just skip the first one.

I love the chill style of commentary, combined with the serous showcasing of the games strong points.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I really love the music in this game. Mario Galaxy 1 had some outstanding tracks (like Gusty Garden), but I feel this one has a more consistent... I don't wanna say quality since the music in Galaxy 1 is also all quality, but there's something that's just better about the overall soundtrack here.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Is there any difference between the shorter greener goombas and the more traditional/on model brown goombas? The two didn't have any gameplay difference that I could notice, so I question the weird looking ones existence.

Also, sort of amusing was right at the end of the video, where Dave_O mentions a sync error, the video playback stops and the audio alone continues. Considering that the video ended there anyway, it doesn't really matter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentril
May 9, 2012
Thank you for demonstrating that you can read signs twice. I was concerned that if I played this game and accidentally skipped a sign, I wouldn't be able to get that information again.

I'd also like to join people in saying that I miss the hub world from SMG1. It's probably just nostalgia for Super Mario N64 though.

• Locked thread