Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah if a dog's literally making GBS threads itself in fear it's time to stop doing whatever's causing that, it's involuntary as opposed to something like throwing a tantrum and snapping at the dryer to get it to go away.

Can you use a fluff dryer and gently brush her hair while she dries? I don't know if your schedule is set up similar to mine, but it gets really frustrating with dogs that can't handle being dried because I only have so much time to get them done and if I take longer it starts running into time with the next dogs.

When checking in I try to get the dog leashed up and comfortable(ish, as much as possible) with me, then ask the owners to leave before I take it back into the grooming area. Usually once their people have gone out the door they're okay with being led around by a new person. A home groomer would probably make Cash more comfortable if only because of the different setting. I remember my family dog was so scared of the vet's she eventually started shaking whenever she was led across a parking lot up to any non-house type building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Nah the salon is waaay to cheap for that. The owners have been trying to work with her at home, its just always when she is wet for some reason. I have to get her ~at least a little dry~. What I'll probably end up doing is getting some stupidly fragrant treats and run the dryer next to her, and then SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWLY put it on her, starting at the tail and body, while stuffin' her dumb face with treats.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Can you take the nozzle off your dryer? Then there's less force, so it's less scary. It's also less scary if you start at the back, and let them snuggle up next to you (which is sounds like you're already doing).

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
Hngh, so I've been at my new job for almost 2 months now and it's been ages since I've worked with other groomers and I now realise just how badly trained I was and how drat long it's going to take me to catch up.

Every day at work I internally rip myself to SHREDS because the other girl (who's been grooming half as long as me) is phenomenal and we have a a girl working for us over Christmas who is a grooming teacher from freaking Japan so you can just imagine how good she is. If I leave one hair out of place I'm chasing the dog with a pair of scissors waving in the air and desperately hoping they're not rolling their eyes at me (everyone at work is really lovely and have given me some great pointers so far).

ERGH I MISS GROOMING FROM HOME WHERE EVERYONE WAS HAPPY THAT I DIDN'T CUT THEIR DOG'S LEG OFF

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My co-worker and manager needed me to help them with a cat they were shaving. The cat was NOT happy about it and had already pissed everywhere so they needed another person to hold her. This was not even a long-haired cat. :psyduck: I felt beyond awful forcing this terrified cat to hold still while my co-worker shaved her. They got her mostly done before they said "gently caress it, this is too stressful for the cat (and us)" and quit. I will give the cat props, though, for recovering very well. As soon as she was on the ground she was like "okay, now that that's over, where's the food?" Very sweet cat. :3: Very dumb owner.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Skizzles posted:

My co-worker and manager needed me to help them with a cat they were shaving. The cat was NOT happy about it and had already pissed everywhere so they needed another person to hold her. This was not even a long-haired cat. :psyduck: I felt beyond awful forcing this terrified cat to hold still while my co-worker shaved her. They got her mostly done before they said "gently caress it, this is too stressful for the cat (and us)" and quit. I will give the cat props, though, for recovering very well. As soon as she was on the ground she was like "okay, now that that's over, where's the food?" Very sweet cat. :3: Very dumb owner.

what... the gently caress? Was there any reason given for this cat needing to be shaved?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Not really. The cat had fleas, and I think they thought it would help? :psyduck: Just... I wish our manager had the balls to be straight up, "Uh, no, go get some flea meds, don't pay to put your cat through an absurd amount of stress for nothing." It's possible they also wanted to cut down on shedding? In which case, uh, why did you get a loving cat?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Skizzles posted:

Not really. The cat had fleas, and I think they thought it would help? :psyduck: Just... I wish our manager had the balls to be straight up, "Uh, no, go get some flea meds, don't pay to put your cat through an absurd amount of stress for nothing." It's possible they also wanted to cut down on shedding? In which case, uh, why did you get a loving cat?

Cut down on shedding? All I can think of is having a bunch of tiny, prickly cat hair needles all over the house. It's not like the remaining hair stubs wouldn't keep shedding just because they were short. People are so dumb.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
To be fair, some cats love being shaved. vOv

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I've gotten 90% of my stuff from Ren's Pet Depot, there's also Deboer Grooming Supplies.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

WolfensteinBag posted:

To be fair, I DO do this and recommend it for dogs that are just learning the process and aren't scared. However, you need to make sure you're not putting the dog over threshold. You need to change their emotional state, or else they'll never "get it" that the thing shutting off is a result of them sitting still. You want them to learn that they don't have to be afraid of the dryer.

Just being clear because I think you know this but it wasn't explicitly mentioned, but if the dog's poo poo itself it is most definitely over threshold and honestly, any time the blowdryer is on it, it's probably over threshold and you need to take a HUGE step back because you're flooding the dog rather than slowly desensitizing it, and it's not going to learn well.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, definitely. :) I meant it as in, "This is why it wouldn't work at that point, so waiting to shut the dryer off isn't going to help." More explaining how it's SUPPOSED to work rather than just having a blanket rule of, "If a dog is acting up, no matter the circumstances, it'll never learn unless I wait until it's calm." Guess I wasn't clear enough, thanks!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Hi fruity groom thread, I miss reading you even though I'm not a groomer. Couple of quick questions.

Any recommendations for a relatively cheap dremel? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, as it's just for my Shiba. Doing her nails is a 2 person job(as I'm sure you're familiar with), so I can't do them at the doggy daycare I work at, so I need to do it at home.

I know it's bad to shampoo a dog too often, does the same apply to conditioner? I love the way the conditioner makes my shibe's coat feel, it's like a stuffed animal, and if I could do it every other week or so, maybe even every week, that would be awesome.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 11, 2014

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

What's relatively cheap for you? I have Dremel brand nail grinders at work I think they run in the $60 range? They seem to take between 6-8 months to wear out BUT this is a pretty busy salon where they're being used dozens of times a day on everything from pugs to bassets to danes, so take that into consideration, I assume you wouldn't be doing Aiko's nails more than once every couple weeks, and I don't see a Shiba having Dremel-killing thick heavy nails. I've tried out a couple cheaper nail grinders and they're either clunky and heavy to use or go too slowly so they stutter on the nail.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I want to start grooming my own dog (a poodle cocker mix) so I got some Andi's 2 speed clippers with the steel 10 blade and a set of combs. Do I need anything else? I was going to take her to the self serve wash and bring my supplies with me. I have a pin brush and slicker brush as well and I think a comb, but I can't seem to find it.

What do I need to watch for and what do I use if I want to get her face and feet closer to the skin? I know the blade gets hot, but will I be able to tell? I saw something about blade lube and keeping it cool? Basically I want to do a typical lion cut and not hurt/burn her. She doesn't have a the dense poodle coat; it is more like a cocker spaniel coat.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Put the blade flat against your wrist and you'll know if it's hot, just test it every couple of minutes and oil it to keep friction down. Either use blade lube, which can gum up your blade, or just get another 10 blade and trade them out. If you set it on a ceramic tile or whatever it'll speed up the cooling-down process. As you're grooming just take the time to check out her skin for irritation, check the blade temp, and keep whatever bodypart you're working on in good control.

If you got plastic clip combs, consider trading up for metals, they'll last longer and will go through her coat a LOT smoother. You also might want to get a 30 blade to go under the clip combs. When you're using the guard comb you don't have to worry about the blade heating up since it won't be close to the skin. A 10 is fine for shaving out her pads and to tidy up around her bum and between her legs too. If you're keeping a poodle face on her a 10 will also work for her face, you can take it backwards against the grain to get it a bit shorter and smoother but if you're using it on her body go with the grain.

Unless you come across mats you really don't want to spot-shave a greyhound comb and slicker brush should do you just fine, get her fully brushed out before using a clipcomb or it will snag.

If you're using clipcombs on her body and ears you really aren't in danger of slicing a limb off because again, the blade isn't really close to the skin. When you're using a blade just look at how it works - parallel teeth moving back and forth, so if a flap of skin, wart, or whatever gets between the teeth, it might get cut. Make sure you've got good control of her around her ears, lips, tuckup, all the flappy thin-skin areas, and try to think of keeping the front edge of the blade more parallel to the edge of skin so the skin won't get between the teeth.

By lion cut, do you mean this sort of clip?

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 12, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No sorry I guess more of a pet/puppy clip? Sorry I'm getting familiar with the terms. I heard some people on facebook call it a lion, but yea that's wrong and the one you posted really is a lion cut.

I got these for $20 at PetsMart. So I wouldn't need to worry as much about burning her with these? I'll get stainless steal down the road if I decide I really like doing it.
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Professional-Universal-Specially-Designed/dp/B001T0HHB0

This is her 5 minutes after the groomer and I really like it so I'm using this as a reference. The groomer didn't go her feet though, which with all the crap she gets into I want to keep gross mud from getting tangled in there.

I'm planning on getting a poodle next year or the year after so it's time for me to start learning how to DIY. :)

Also after the groomer she puts on this perfume and she smells sooo good for however long it takes for her to get muddy again. I hate the shampoo I have so what's some really awesome vanilla smelling shampoo that lasts for a good while?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 11, 2014

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Don't really have any shampoo recommendations, I work for BIG BOX GROOMING CORP so I can only use the shampoo provided by the store. You could just go with a shampoo you like the scent of, and also pick up a bottle of perfume to spritz her with between baths?

I got that kind of clip as a result when I googled for "lion cut", so it doesn't surprise me that's what some people call it, and yep, you won't hurt her with those clip combs. Brush her out, go over her once, back-brush with a slicker and go over at least once more. Try to follow the grain of her hair growth with the clippers and hold her skin taut with your free hand. Could you call the groomer and ask her what length they used on her body for that groom?

When you do her face, leave a goatee on her chin until the VERY LAST MINUTE, it gives you a good way to hold her face steady. You'll be able to follow the lines of the poodle face the groomer put on her, and you can take the 10 against the grain to get it nice and clean. For putting poodle feet on I've found it helpful to have my finger and thumb around the dog's ankle so if she moves suddenly your fingers will block the blade and you won't accidentally zip the 10 up her leg. This video has a pretty good view of how to handle the foot and clippers and where to set the line.

I'd highly recommend grooming her nice and close to a window during full daylight.

Are you going to be buying scissors? :dance:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Fat Dio posted:

Are you going to be buying scissors? :dance:

I'm guessing I need scissors? ;)

I've actually done touch up jobs on human hair and did ok, but I was fixing bad $5 hair cuts.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Fat Dio posted:

What's relatively cheap for you? I have Dremel brand nail grinders at work I think they run in the $60 range? They seem to take between 6-8 months to wear out BUT this is a pretty busy salon where they're being used dozens of times a day on everything from pugs to bassets to danes, so take that into consideration, I assume you wouldn't be doing Aiko's nails more than once every couple weeks, and I don't see a Shiba having Dremel-killing thick heavy nails. I've tried out a couple cheaper nail grinders and they're either clunky and heavy to use or go too slowly so they stutter on the nail.

Preferably more in the 30 dollar range, and yeah, probably no more than once every 2 weeks, no less than once a month. Her nails are really soft for dog nails so I don't need anything fancy.

Any input on my second question about conditioning?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Psychobabble! posted:

I know it's bad to shampoo a dog too often, does the same apply to conditioner? I love the way the conditioner makes my shibe's coat feel, it's like a stuffed animal, and if I could do it every other week or so, maybe even every week, that would be awesome.

It's not necessarily the conditioner, it could be the combo of the dog being clean PLUS the conditioner. You need to worry about the coat gunking up and too much buildup on the hair and skin, like you would worry about your own hair if you used too much product without washing it out.

Something I do with my husky in between baths is to take a spray bottle of water and spritz him down until he's pretty damp, then towel him off really well. At least for him, it seems to get the "dust" off of him, and the scent and softness from his bath comes back. You can also try diluting the conditioner like CRAZY crazy thin, and putting that into a spray bottle. Then you can mist him with the water first, then with the conditioner, so you get a LITTLE something, but it's not too heavy. You'll still have to be careful, though, you might wind up needing to bathe him more often, then, to get the buildup off.

Psychobabble! posted:

Preferably more in the 30 dollar range, and yeah, probably no more than once every 2 weeks, no less than once a month. Her nails are really soft for dog nails so I don't need anything fancy.

I think ours is an older version of this one, that we use on about 15 dogs a day, 5 days a week. I really like the size and the fact that it's cordless, so you're not stuck to a wall.

Are you going to cut the nails, then dremel? Or are you planning on doing the dremel alone? Just as a head's up, it takes FOREVER to grind down a nail that's grown out. If you're going to use a dremel like that, it's best to do it a few times in one week, just to keep it down. That way the dog doesn't have to sit there forever. Also, if you're using the dremel because the dog won't sit still for nail trims, think about putting a vibrating tool right on its nail... unless you already know he's good for it, you might want to test whether he'll let you do it before you go spending the money. :iamafag:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

WolfensteinBag posted:

It's not necessarily the conditioner, it could be the combo of the dog being clean PLUS the conditioner. You need to worry about the coat gunking up and too much buildup on the hair and skin, like you would worry about your own hair if you used too much product without washing it out.

Something I do with my husky in between baths is to take a spray bottle of water and spritz him down until he's pretty damp, then towel him off really well. At least for him, it seems to get the "dust" off of him, and the scent and softness from his bath comes back. You can also try diluting the conditioner like CRAZY crazy thin, and putting that into a spray bottle. Then you can mist him with the water first, then with the conditioner, so you get a LITTLE something, but it's not too heavy. You'll still have to be careful, though, you might wind up needing to bathe him more often, then, to get the buildup off.

I think ours is an older version of this one, that we use on about 15 dogs a day, 5 days a week. I really like the size and the fact that it's cordless, so you're not stuck to a wall.

Are you going to cut the nails, then dremel? Or are you planning on doing the dremel alone? Just as a head's up, it takes FOREVER to grind down a nail that's grown out. If you're going to use a dremel like that, it's best to do it a few times in one week, just to keep it down. That way the dog doesn't have to sit there forever. Also, if you're using the dremel because the dog won't sit still for nail trims, think about putting a vibrating tool right on its nail... unless you already know he's good for it, you might want to test whether he'll let you do it before you go spending the money. :iamafag:

Cool, I'll try the watered down conditioner thing.

I typically cut her nails, then dremel. I should have mentioned that I've dremeled them several times; I know what I'm doing. It's just that recently she's decided she hates it(more than she did before), and it would just be easier to do at home with the boyfriend to hold onto her. Luckily her nails grow pretty slowly, and she does sit (mostly) still for the nail trim, at least.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh, I'm an idiot, did I forget the link to the dremel?
Dremel 7700-1/15 MultiPro 7.2-Volt Cordless Rotary Tool Kit by Dremel http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BACCDA/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_s1gstb1TJ8YT1

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

WolfensteinBag posted:

To be fair though, dogs are weird as gently caress and some are like "OH GOD NO ANAL GLANDS EXPLODE!" for nail trimming, but stand perfect for dremeling. Dunno.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Yeah, but some are also the other way around! I just figure it's better to know before dropping money on it if that's your hope. *shrug* It would suck to go, "My dog hates nail trims, I'll get a dremel!" and still end up with a dog that hates it, only you spent more money just to find it out.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

There's a furminator brand nail grinder floating around work too, it's a bit weird to handle but that's probably because I'm used to the Dremel brand ones. I think it's a bit cheaper and it's pretty quiet so hopefully it won't freak Aiko out too badly.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm guessing I need scissors? ;)

I've actually done touch up jobs on human hair and did ok, but I was fixing bad $5 hair cuts.

You'll at least want them for trimming up her ears and tidying around her feet so they don't look too shaggy BUT if you're not sure you'll enjoy it I totally don't blame you for not wanting to pay more than you already have. If you do though, you'd likely be fine with a pair of curves for rounding her feet, ears and tidying her legs, and thinning shears are the best thing EVAR for hiding mistakes.

Edit: I jinxed myself a few days ago when I thought "You know, I haven't had a big dog for a long time." The last three days I've had two doodles, two Pyrs, and today was a rough collie. It's "Let's take our giant dog for her semi-annual de-shedding treatment" season in case anyone's wondering.

Fat Dio fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 13, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Alright time to try this today. She's really stinky from running in mud the last twos days and looking a little haggard. I'll post pics of the aftermath.

Going to bring lots of treats too

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ug I need to not go on weekends or at least close to closing or when people are in church. It's more a training issue because Honey becomes reactive under stress and will just bark at people coming into the self serve. It's hard to cut a freaking out dog. Doesn't help things started negative when this stupid lady let her dog BITE my dog. Good job you loving idiot your dog does NOT want to say hi it wants to murder mine. She calms down after people are in there, but it was much easier when it was just me and her.

I definitely want my own table and blow dryer. Also all the self-serves here are like 80 degrees it's crazy hot. I REALLY did enjoy it despite the time consumption and really appreciate what you guys do.

As for the hair cut I did well until i decided to go for the feet and now she looks like a lamb, all fluff up top and skinny feets on the bottom. She looks ridiculous, but at least it won't get burrs in it as easy/easier to get out and still long enough up top to enjoy how soft she is. But yea I butchered her cut and will shave her down more to match after this cold snap passes.

She was having none of her face though. I don't know it's looking like a 2 person job or something I could hand over to my groomer as a touch up job. Also when she really didn't want her feet touched she would just turn her back to me. It was cute for a bit and then frustrating.

I tried to keep it upbeat for her. It's probably super boring sitting on that table.

Time to do some training.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 14, 2014

Harebrain
Feb 3, 2004

I need some advice. I take Sprocket every other month for a cleanup/trim and bath at a groomer in DC, but this Friday he will be going for a full groom at a shop closer to me. The last time he got a full groom was around Spring last year in WI. I gave her free rein because I had no idea how he should be cut. She gave him a Schnauzer cut & I really did not like how he ended up looking. His beard is a major point for both me & my husband and when he got this cut we both thought it looked really bad. I really did not like how his ears were cut either, the tufts on the edges of his ears were cut off and made them look naked. I did really like how his body was cut so my only gripe comes down to how his head/face is done.

His Schnauzer cut from last year:

This is what Sprocket looks like now.

In the end I know it will all grow back, but what I am asking is, how do I communicate that I want him cut so that his beard looks as epic as ever & that his head does't turn out looking like a scrawny rat creature afterwards. I don't want to go in there and say "Short but not to short for the body and please don't chop his beard off." I know that is not detailed enough & I don't want to sound like a rambling idiot when I try to tell them what I want.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The best thing you can do is make sure you get a good groomer that will ask you a bunch of questions. Like, do you ONLY want it cut by his eyes? Do you want everything long, but shaped up nice and round? Do you want NOTHING off the ears? How much off the body? Do you want length off all over, or just a trim around the important areas? Do you want everything to be smooth and flat, or still a little fluffy?

It would also be a good idea to show the groomer the pictures you posted and talk about it like you are here. :)

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Harebrain posted:

This is what Sprocket looks like now.

Omg scruffy Sprocket. Scruffcket :3:

ScruffBucket.

Harebrain
Feb 3, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

The best thing you can do is make sure you get a good groomer that will ask you a bunch of questions. Like, do you ONLY want it cut by his eyes? Do you want everything long, but shaped up nice and round? Do you want NOTHING off the ears? How much off the body? Do you want length off all over, or just a trim around the important areas? Do you want everything to be smooth and flat, or still a little fluffy?

It would also be a good idea to show the groomer the pictures you posted and talk about it like you are here. :)

That sounds like a good idea, I will definitely show them the pictures and try to talk to them based off the questions you just mentioned. That really puts it in an organized format which is what I needed, thanks! The most current groomer I was going to always made me feel rushed and like they were to busy to go over what I wanted, so I would forget to mention the things I wanted done. This visit is a full haircut deal so I wanted to make sure I made sense!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Just thought I'd chime in because I started working at a DIY dog wash slash grooming slash pet health food store a month or so ago. It's been awesome, it's a small boutique type place with 3 groomers that have 75+ years between them. I was hired mostly to answer the phone and handle the self-serve dog wash area.

I've seen a few Labrador shavedowns, but I don't think it's such a big deal because we live in the valley of the sun, and it is 100+ outside for 3 months of the year. But mostly it's just little shih tsu mixes that get their haircuts every 3-5 weeks. I don't know how people afford it, being $50 a pop.

Anyway, I try to help out the groomers as much as I can, but all I really know to do is to vacuum up the hair. Is there anything else I can do to help them out? Or any pet peeves a groomer might have that a cat lady like myself might not think of?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Meow Cadet posted:

Anyway, I try to help out the groomers as much as I can, but all I really know to do is to vacuum up the hair. Is there anything else I can do to help them out? Or any pet peeves a groomer might have that a cat lady like myself might not think of?

Learn how to hold a difficult dog. We called it 'Dog Judo', because a lot of it is isolating and immobilizing their joints and using their own bodies against them in order to keep them still and safe. When things are less busy (which is never), ask if they would find it helpful if you learned how to hold a dog. They'll probably have their own ways of doing it, to different degrees of seeming severity. Holding a dog still is probably the most useful you can be without any other particularly developed shop skills.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Learn how to hold a difficult dog. We called it 'Dog Judo', because a lot of it is isolating and immobilizing their joints and using their own bodies against them in order to keep them still and safe. When things are less busy (which is never), ask if they would find it helpful if you learned how to hold a dog. They'll probably have their own ways of doing it, to different degrees of seeming severity. Holding a dog still is probably the most useful you can be without any other particularly developed shop skills.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say, too! You can ALWAYS use another set of hands. It's not something that you're necessarily going to be able to jump in to without a little instruction and practice, so asking when it's less busy is definitely good advice. Or even ask about being shown on a GOOD dog, so you're not actively fighting with it while you're trying to learn.

Ooooh, I just thought of another good one. On the flip side of that, learn when you standing near the groomer or working near them is upsetting the dog. If the dog keeps trying to get over to you, or if it starts moving at every little noise, that's a bad time be nearby. I get new people ALL THE TIME who are SO nice and wanting to help, but they hang out right by a dog that's wiggling away from me every time they say something or sweep by my table or whatever. But it's really hard to say anything to them because they're being so nice and trying to help! So it's something good to keep an eye out for. :) If you're unsure, just ask, I'm sure they'll let you know.

Meow Cadet posted:

I've seen a few Labrador shavedowns, but I don't think it's such a big deal because we live in the valley of the sun, and it is 100+ outside for 3 months of the year.

Thought I'd touch on this a sec, too, because I'm unsure if you mean you don't get many shave downs like that, or whether you don't think the dogs being shaved down itself is a problem. The thing with shaving the coat is that dog's natural coat is supposed to be protecting it from the sun and heat. When it's shaved off, it makes it even hotter in the sun. :/ So especially with a dog with such a short coat to begin with, there is absolutely zero reason for it to get a haircut.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Hey grooming thread, I convinced a pembroke corgi owner not to shave their dog today, and thanks to reading this thread had enough facts to back it up. Good job thread, keep posting

Edit: phone posting sucks and posted this message twice :shobon:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 18, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:hfive: That's awesome!! Those little victories really make me feel better. :toot:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Someone help me dog judo when it comes to the face and feet. It's a battle ground for me. Almost finished her face from last week hah. It's mostly around the eyes and mouth.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

cheese eats mouse posted:

Someone help me dog judo when it comes to the face and feet. It's a battle ground for me. Almost finished her face from last week hah. It's mostly around the eyes and mouth.

What kind of dog? Two of the more advanced holds we used were the lip, and the gruff. The lip is where you firmly but carefully have the dog's lip between your thumb and body of the hand. Do not squeeze, or you will cause major bruising and other damage. This mostly works because the dog is often like "wtf is going on I am now mildly offended". Also don't do this on a dog that will ever nip.

The gruff is a lot safer, you just grab them by the hair under their chin and hold firmly, about as hard as you'd dare to squeeze a peice of melon rind. NOT THE SKIN UNDER THE CHIN. Or the skin under the jaw. This again bruises easily as it has a lot of small blood vessels.

There's also the ear hold, but this is never to be used for any sustained period of time. Five or ten seconds at the most. Also never attempt to suspend a dog by any of these holds.

Also also, practice first in a non-grooming situation. Attempt the holds gently in a training envoronment, offering encouragement and treats. If you're not comfortable with doing it, or dont feel like you can do it safely, just don't try. Better to have a slightly weird looking dog then a pair of scissors sticking out of someone's eye.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
She's a miniature poodle size so pretty small head. i'm very careful with her. She is my dog. :3:

• Locked thread