Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

GabrielAisling posted:

They won't fence in the yard because then they'd have to clean up poop. She only gets taken out to do her business.

What do they do about the poop now? Leave it in someone else's yard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Serella posted:

What do they do about the poop now? Leave it in someone else's yard?

They take her as close to the tall grass behind the house as possible. Or somebody else's yard. Just so long as they don't have to actually deal with the responsibilities associated with the dog they chose to buy.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

I should probably lay out Lee's full story, but I'll get my question out of the way first:

Where can I get a good hard pin slicker brush? I have a soft pin one that doesn't seem to have too much effect on the mats, and I haven't had much like finding any hard pin ones that were actually available. Had a page for em, big old red NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA or some poo poo every time.

Now then, one day in 2009 Lee was left tied to a speed limit sign across the street from a shelter with a muzzle on. He hated everything and everybody, especially you. It took a year before he finally made some friends and started to trust some people at the shelter. Boy was he still ever a biter, though. I think his score is higher than every other dog's combined, including the Chow that's just a bitch for no reason, considering how sweet her littermate that's there too is. He gets those awful mats from the wading pool they put in his pen in the summer. He lays down in it, gets up and runs around, lays down in it, runs, repeat all summer long. He washes his entire lower body in muddy water every 30 seconds all day long. His mats have defeated every pair of clippers we've laid into them with, and a lot of his skin is bright pink if you can ever expose any of it.

Due to mostly depressing circumstances, I have been able to adopt Lee permanently(again, first attempt in 2011 didn't take), and I'll have plenty of time to get his skin and coat back in good shape. My method of isolating a mat with the steel comb and cutting it off with scissors isn't working out too well, and I'm thinking that 30 minutes a day trapped in the tub with plenty of treats while I brush out what I can may work out better. I'd sure appreciate it if you can tell me a place that will actually have a hard pin slicker brush, and if you have any tips on soothing irritated skin those would be great, too.

Thanks.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

NOW I remember Lee!! The fact that you can manage to do anything to him is just amazing, great job working with him!

This is the slicker I use at work for breaking up mats:
https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemai...ec-locale=en_US

It's not listed as a hard slicker, but it's WAY stiffer than your average slicker and breaks through an awful lot. In your case, I might also recommend this rake:

Now, it's listed as an undercoat rake... But it's REALLY important to note that this is a BLADE. If you were to buy one and look at those curved prongs, you can see it. You have to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL not to go overboard and get too close to the skin. However, it could help you slice through the harder parts and work through things easier, as long as you're careful.

You have an extra unique issue in that he's been getting shaved down for so long. When was the last time he had his full haircut, and how are his guard hairs? I see an awful lot of undercoat in that picture, and I'm worried it's because the guard hairs are still super short. That makes it much harder for you because the undercoat mats up much easier, then.

It's worrisome that they can't even get a clipper through it. Do they have an experienced groomer working on it, or is it just shelter volunteers? Any idea at all what blade # they were using, or if the clippers were professional ones? It's possible they could get through it with a shorter blade and possibly a higher speed clipper, as long as it's someone that knows how to find an opening for that sort of thing. But for the mats to be that close that a clipper can't get under it, that's really bad. :( With the skin being irritated the way it is, getting it clipped off in the tight spots is probably still your best option, if there's any way to manage it. It's going to be the least irritating option (as opposed to all the tugging of brushing) and you worry that with the mats on there too long, especially if it's wet, sores or rashes could develop from the trapped moisture.

Man, I'm really sorry about the predicament you're in. :/ Good luck figuring things out.

Edit: Here's a cheaper version of that rake, you'd want the one listed for dematting:

WolfensteinBag fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Acepromazine is some good poo poo.

He just chilled on the floor while I sheared all this off of him. The trimmer is just a facial hair trimmer and it only goes through the fur if I get it at just the right angle, but Lee's gotten enough new growth under the old mats that I've been able to get it through everywhere so far. Getting his belly is going to be a challenge, but I think this method will get everything eventually.

If anybody can think of a fun prank to pull with a solid mass of hair the size of a dinner plate I'm all ears.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Wulfolme posted:

If anybody can think of a fun prank to pull with a solid mass of hair the size of a dinner plate I'm all ears.

A coworker at a place I once worked shaved a perfect pelt off a shih tzu. She added googly eyes and left it in random drawers. Its name was Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Hello thread.

I have this small thing and it's going to turn into this bigger thing

I have googled advice on brushes but everyone seems to use something different. What brushes do I need to contain this beast? Undercoat rake, metal comb and something that looks like a human hairbrush?

Also everyone is all boo, blowdrying shelties takes ages with normal hairdryers and it sucks. Can I just let him dry in the sun or do I have to get a reverse vacuum cleaner.

• Locked thread