Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Sometimes I tie ribbon to Momo's tail because I think it's funny when he attacks his own butt. Sorry, buddy. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Frodo will chase his own tail and get frustrated to the point that when he does finally catch his tail he bites himself and yelps. I sit there and laugh at him.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sociopastry posted:

Sometimes I tie ribbon to Momo's tail because I think it's funny when he attacks his own butt. Sorry, buddy. :saddowns:

This is one of the perks of dog ownership, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

This is one of the perks of dog ownership, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Momo's my cat.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Sociopastry posted:

Momo's my cat.

One of the great perks of pet ownership in general is annoying them or watching them do dumb things and laughing at them.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sociopastry posted:

Momo's my cat.

My bad. Point still stands. Embarrassing pets is hilarious.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I've put things on my cats and Sycamore will freak out appropriately but Juniper will go all :black101: and rip off the offending object with her teeth. Which is amusing in a different way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every once in a while my cat stares at the ceiling of my apartment as if something is there (there is nothing there) and gets really excited. At first I thought she was looking at bugs, but my apartment doesn't have any bugs.

Then I figured it out. My next-door neighbors have a baby that sometimes kicks the wall. My cat is hunting a baby.

ED-E My Love
Feb 26, 2014

The cutest lil' eyebot in the Wasteland
Once, a couple of summers ago, I was out walking around the neighborhood and a little white pitbull puppy came bounding out of the bushes at me. This was before I had a dog of my own, and I was initially excited because, omg puppy! And omg, maybe a stray puppy I can keep! She was incredibly sweet and wiggly and I picked her up and carried her around for a bit, looking to see if any people were around who she may belong to. There was a family outside barbecuing just a couple of houses down from where the pup came running out from, so I approached them and asked them if she belonged to them. The guy hesitated for a minute, which threw me off, but before I could say or do anything, he said, "Oh hey, Diamond, we've been looking for her", so I set the puppy down and she went wiggling up to the guy, so I figured all was well. Then, as I was walking away, I saw a different man, younger and much taller/bigger/not the nicest looking guy, carrying the puppy across the street by the scruff of her neck to his car. :( I still feel guilty about that to this day. I walked around that area for the next few months hoping to see that dog and know that she was alright, but I never found her again. I hope she wasn't abused or neglected by that guy, I hope that she actually belonged to them and wasn't just some poor lost puppy that I sent off to the slaughterhouse unknowingly. I'm sorry puppy, wherever you are I hope that you are ok.. :(

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
We threw our three hospital lifer cats in a room together today to socialize. I've mentioned Timmy in this thread before and how he's a little terror to the staff. But those two female cats reduced him to desperately clinging to my scrubs and climbing on my shoulder refusing to get down. Poor Tim. I scruffed you and threw you back to the she-wolves.

No one was hurt, they just had a completely awkward time "bonding" while meowing at the door, ignoring each other.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
On the topic of foster kittens, we have had two kittens for about two months now. They came from a house where the owner bred his cats back together about...four generations. Owner died, state takes these fur-matted messes, and we end up with the youngest ones. They are cute, loving, want nothing more than to play....and brought in some kind of parasite that spread to all our other cats, resulting in multiple vet trips, forcing two different kinds of medicine for different lengths of time in EVERY CAT, and can't forget that every cat had to have a certain amount depending on their weight, cats throwing up the medication, cats refusing to come near us, etc. For a week. Two weeks later we are told to take a stool sample in. A week later we're told the sample is clean! .....oh but one foster has a runny nose. More medicines!

No medicine works. The rescue says she might have allergies, which means more tests. Either way neither can go to an adoption event. The vet tech is off for the weekend. We have to keep the fosters another month, give or take, and they are already out of the cute kitten phase. It isn't their fault, but PI, I am so over these kittens and want them gone before they spread whatever infection they have to the rest of the cats again! Three of our cats still won't let me near them, almost a month after the last meds. Did I mention I had to kennel one of ours to prevent her from slashing my face when doing meds? Or having to nearly sit on others to make them take up to 8ml of chalky medicine?

To those who want to foster: we did bond with one of our first kittens, and adopted him. The others we never clicked with in that way. But before you foster, for the love of the cats, loving read every contract involved! The rescue we work with assured us we'd have the kittens at most a month, they would cover vet bills, all we supply is food, love, and room.

But they neglected to say what vet we have to use (it's 35 miles away one way), they neglected to mention ringworm, which all kittens seem to have, how to treat ringworm and the sniffles, they neglected to mention how they would not let us borrow kitten condos, or how to set up for shots and spay and neuter (depending on where the kittens came from depends on where they get the free fixing, and some places only give the rescue one day a week, between 8am and noon, to do all the free work), or any of the pitfalls where your animals contact a kitten whose FIV record may or may not be accurate. Fostering is very rewarding, when you see a kitten click with his or her new family, but the months of teaching a 6 week old kitten how to behave, and keep healthy, when you have anywhere from 4 to 8 or them, or in this case 2 older ones, can drive you mad.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I fed my dog a few small pieces of cornbread as a treat before suddenly remembering the Pet Nutrition thread said corn was bad. :bang:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 18, 2014

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I fed my dog a few small pieces of cornbread as a treat before suddenly remembering the Pet Nutrition thread said corn was bad. :bang:

It appears that it's okay in small doses (so long as doggie isn't allergic, which some dogs are to corn)- the nutrition thread's emphasis on corn is when it's a significant portion of poor quality dry foods. Good on you for remembering, but in this case at least your puppy should be just fine!

If you're worried about foods that are bad in even small amounts, might I suggest printing out a list and posting it somewhere in your kitchen? Maybe make it look nifty and frame it so it looks nice? Especially if you or visitors are prone to giving in to the begging eyes :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BlueOccamy posted:

If you're worried about foods that are bad in even small amounts, might I suggest printing out a list and posting it somewhere in your kitchen? Maybe make it look nifty and frame it so it looks nice? Especially if you or visitors are prone to giving in to the begging eyes :)

That's a great idea. I can be extremely forgetful so things that aren't obvious(as opposed to, say, chocolate, which is practically common sense not to give a dog) might slip my mind. A list hung in the open would be very useful.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
New dog is only just melding into the family with the two cats, and I've fallen for this little jerk http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/276429 to be fostered.

I'll probably foster-fail because I'm a sucker.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I really want a dog but I know it wouldn't fly with my cat and I don't really have the room anyway. But I want a doggie so bad!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Sometimes we rile our cat Ollie up till he starts kicking and then if we stick his foot in his face or move our arms abruptly he starts kicking himself in the face. It's so confusing but we just laugh :( he's a huge butthead and deserves a little kick in the face sometimes.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
One time I popped my balloons and I put the string around my cat, JJ (not tightly at all) then she ran so she thought the plastic hearts were chasing her. She ran into the kitchen and I heard the hearts slide on the tile and hit something then I found that she got it off. My roommate at the time and I couldn't stop laughing. She's fine though, came up to me and gave me lovins afterwards. She's such a great kitty.

I also give Soma extra food sometimes because he'll either be way too adorable to say no to or he'll just straight up attack the hell out of me. He's getting fat :(

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I had to put my bug zapper on a remote control because the dog is absolutely terrified of the noise this thing makes so I shut it off from inside the house whenever I'm about to let her out or she will refuse to go outside alone. The other day she was in the yard barking like a lunatic and I found myself turning the zapper on to stop her. Then I laughed at how quickly she shut up and ran to the door, begging to come inside.

Then there is my cat Joker, who loves to play fetch with this little bouncy blue toy of his. He will endlessly bring it and start meowing and pawing at me if I don't throw it fast enough for him. Eventually I will get tired of it and fake throw a ball to send him off looking for it until he loses interest. He still falls for it every time.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I vacuum my dogs once a week. They don't really like it.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014
Sometimes I'll pick my cat up, point him at random family members, and make shooting noises with my mouth. He's my catzooka. He is also occasionally my flamethrower. Fwooosh

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
What a scrub. You never know real catfirepower until you grab its front legs in one hand and run around chasing your other cat going DUKKADUKKADUKKADUKKA. :colbert:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My cat started sneezing a lot but had no other symptoms. "It'll pass. No biggie. "
Then my other kitty caught the sniffles. "Dammit I'm an idiot."
She moped around her eyes runny her nose stuffy for about 3 days.
:ohdear: "My poor baby!" :ohdear:

Now she's good as new and I've cleaned and vacuumed the whole house so they don't get re-sick.

They're perfectly fine but I feel terrible for letting my little kitty feel lovely.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

In a rash moment of scientific curiosity, I trimmed one side of my cats whiskers way down. I was curious to see how it would affect her navigation -- if she'd bump into things.

(It didn't have any discernible effect).

I am the feline Mengele.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Bitchkrieg posted:

In a rash moment of scientific curiosity, I trimmed one side of my cats whiskers way down. I was curious to see how it would affect her navigation -- if she'd bump into things.

I am the feline Mengele.

I do this every few months because I always forget how much it sucks when the cat rubs his face on you and you get stabbed with the end of a trimmed whisker.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

WickedHate posted:

That's a great idea. I can be extremely forgetful so things that aren't obvious(as opposed to, say, chocolate, which is practically common sense not to give a dog) might slip my mind. A list hung in the open would be very useful.

This is a good site as far as foods and plants go:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Bitchkrieg posted:

I am the feline Mengele.
I did this too. He just looked silly. Also, whenever I find a naturally discarded whisker, I stick it back into their faces and/or poke their ears, paws, etc. with it.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bitchkrieg posted:

I am the feline Mengele.

Serella posted:

I do this every few months because I always forget how much it sucks when the cat rubs his face on you and you get stabbed with the end of a trimmed whisker.

I petsit for a Persian who's whiskers curl into his eyes so the owner has to trim them regularly :(

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

when i was little i forgot to feed my dog once :(

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

emmie posted:

when i was little i forgot to feed my dog once :(

but how did it make you feel

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I have a really bad habit of leaving the litter boxes unscooped until I see Terra, the pickier one, scratching and sniffing around for somewhere clean to pee/poop. Then I jump up and scoop it in a hurry and put her in there and say "Look how clean! Please use it! Don't pee on my tote bag again please!!!" I am so relieved when she uses the box I swear I'm going to scoop it sooner next time.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Buggiezor posted:

I have a really bad habit of leaving the litter boxes unscooped until I see Terra, the pickier one, scratching and sniffing around for somewhere clean to pee/poop. Then I jump up and scoop it in a hurry and put her in there and say "Look how clean! Please use it! Don't pee on my tote bag again please!!!" I am so relieved when she uses the box I swear I'm going to scoop it sooner next time.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sab wipes her paws on the sides of the box (it's covered) when it starts to get too gross for her, and I wait until she spends enough time wiping each paw that the sound annoys me. I'm a jerk, but in my defense she's too drat easygoing about it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My two cats don't really complain when it's too dirty, but then when I clean it they don't even let me step away to wash my hands before they are both trying to get in there to go, so I always feel bad that they were holding it in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I just generally insult my cat all the time. I'm pretty sure he thinks "you furry little moron" is his name. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the cat because he loves me though. I tend to splash him with water any time I wash my hands. I just generally torment him, like when he really wants some of these gravy food things we feed him, sometimes I'll just toss an empty bowl on the floor while I get the food ready, and the cat falls for it every time. Sticking his face in the bowl wondering where the food is.

Oh and a few days after he fractured his hip, he was laying on the floor in the darkness where I couldn't see him. So as I crossed the room to turn on the light, I stepped on his face. I step on him a lot because he's pretty much always under food. Despite stepping on him a lot I've never hurt him. I feel bad every time though.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My younger cat has a talent for picking the moments when you're .01 seconds away from starting to walk to rub up against your legs. Every single day, I nearly step on, trip on, or kick him, and he always comes back for more. :gbsmith:

Confession part 2: He's the sweetest cat in the world and is always up for pets, cuddles, and play, but.....I prefer my other cat, who is ornery and will scratch a bitch if you bother him.

E: I feel bad for admitting that. I LOVE THEM BOTH OKAY

My younger cat is such a sweetie pie, he purrs when he eats and then when he's finished, always runs over to me and rubs up against my legs, as though he's thanking me :kimchi:

I filmed this early in the morning (sorry for the pre-dawn darkness) -- you might need earphones to hear him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L15sML4PPlA

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 20, 2014

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
Every so often I will put a can of unopened cat food in Gandalf's food bowl, and put it in front of him, then start yelling I BET YOU WISH YOU HAD THUMBS, HUH DUMBASS?

Sometimes after they're done eating, I'll need to go downstairs to get a drink or something. Apparently, even if I just fed him, Gandalf will decide that me walking upstairs at night means FOOD TIME, so I will walk all the way to his food bowl, with him meowing and rubbing against my legs, stand there for a second and then walk away. He generally makes a confused mmmmbeep noise, and then sits there staring at me for ten minutes.

I'm so glad he's pretty, that cat is a moron.

I also like to laugh at him when the cat door on my bedroom door is locked, and he thinks he's stuck in the room. He will make the saddest noises, begging me for help, because he's stuck. The bedroom door is open you moron YOU CAN WALK OUT.

Yes I have a cat door on my bedroom door, gently caress having to get up every five minutes because the cat has decided they no longer wish to be on that side of the door.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

InEscape posted:

Sab wipes her paws on the sides of the box (it's covered) when it starts to get too gross for her, and I wait until she spends enough time wiping each paw that the sound annoys me. I'm a jerk, but in my defense she's too drat easygoing about it.

Mine don't care if its dirty or not. Every single one of the fuzzy bastards love to scrape their paws/claws on the side of the box after they do their business and cover up. I swear its like 5 mins worth of *scrape scrape scrape*

And I know the box is clean, too. It can be fresh brand new sand in the boxes and they all will do the sides. It's so annoying. They are so lucky I love them. Seriously.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
Apparently, I am an idiot. Totally did not know rabbits freeze if you shine a light in their eyes at night and turned Yuuna loose down the local dog walking area with her Puplight on last night. Fortunately she didn't get any bunnies but someone at work kindly explained to me, no, putting a bright light on your dog won't necessarily give the bun-buns a head start. :aaaaa:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Ponyfields posted:

Apparently, I am an idiot. Totally did not know rabbits freeze if you shine a light in their eyes at night and turned Yuuna loose down the local dog walking area with her Puplight on last night. Fortunately she didn't get any bunnies but someone at work kindly explained to me, no, putting a bright light on your dog won't necessarily give the bun-buns a head start. :aaaaa:

Yeah lamping is really common and dates back to forever ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

Forgive me, catladies.....

My little ferret, Isolde, is obsessed with water glasses. I often put one on the nightstand so I have something to drink if I wake up in the middle of the night, then promptly forget about it in the rush of getting ready for work in the morning. Isolde will target this glass, try to stuff her entire body inside it in order to snorkel, then shove it off the edge of the nightstand. Half the time it hits the floor, the other half, it hits my side of the bed. When it hits the bed, I rub her on the wet spot to pick up as much of the water as possible. She does not appreciate this.

Also, sometimes we wind up the ferrets then dump them on each other and laugh at them when they go after each other, rather than the obnoxious humans that are messing with them in the first place.

• Locked thread