Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey is lazy and hates long walks. So I don't force him to spend a lot of time outside. We do lots of training instead and play. Sometimes I feel guilty about it, but after 15 minutes he's ready to go home and gets really pathetic if we don't go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Captain Foxy posted:

My chickens got eaten on Thanksgiving because we left them in an unsecure coop. The one night we decided not to bring them inside. 'No, they'll be fine, it's fine.' :smith:

Unlike some insane dogladies PI posters, I like that my dog is a living throw pillow and I encourage it by frequently forgetting to walk him except for maybe 1-2 times a week, and we spend hours napping and eating snacks together because we are lazy skinnyfats. He is demanding and prissy and I encourage his attention-grabbing habits because it is funny to me, but I scold the big dog for the same behavior because I am a hypocrite. I let him get away with murder because he is cute. There, I said it.

I made my girlfriend buy me a hamster on impulse one day and now I have a hamster and I gave her a nice big cage and good food and everything but I'm pretty 'meh' about it and I basically just have a hamster, I guess. I let her run around in a plastic ball but rarely handle her. A hamster, it exists.

Also I backyard breed geckos and I care more about their coloration/pattern and how nice their terrarium looks as a display then I do about having them as pets. :smug:

This is why I am okay with Bailey usually being lazy, but occasionally he decides he is A Heeler that Does Heeler Things. Like deciding to jump on the table, occasionally shred things I leave around, follow me around the house, jump and nip (no pressure) my thumb and be afraid of the wet ground.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe this isn't a confession, but every time I get asked to donate to a pet based charity and can't (poor grad student) I feel horribly guilty. Those humane society ads with the sad cats and dogs? Make me cry like a baby. Donation solicitations from the Schipperke specific rescue? Even worse.

Outside of stuff like that I don't cry a lot so I have no idea why I am so emotionally fragile about these things in particular. Am I going to become a crazy rescue lady?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

I have a weird kind of line between psycho animal lady and being pragmatic. I love animals and give my animals the best care I can, which means decent food/housing/toys/taking to the vets/etc, but there has to be a line. I'd spend more money on surgery on Lola than on Jess, because Jess is nearly thirteen years old and Lola is like two, and more on Jess than on the rats.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on PI to have animals if you can't afford to fork out XYZ amount of money at any one time, but that's just not always possible imo.

I think that's a really reasonable position to take.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I punish my dogs when they are bad. Mainly I yell at them, I have actually grabbed Delta and sort of tossed her to the ground so I could yell at her (we do not nip at cats in this household). And it works, they learn very quickly to stop doing the bad thing.

I feel like a piece of poo poo after when they stare at me and want to be friends again :( Especially Sigma. Delta is very resilient and just jumps up and carries on with her day. Sigma will slink around even if he wasn't the one in trouble.

I've yelled at Bailey when he's done things that really upset me or are dangerous, and he just stares at me and gives me really half hearted lip licks and falls over asking for a belly rub. Sometimes just seeing the appeasement behaviors does make me feel a little bit better, even when I know its not that he's "sorry" or guilty for doing whatever got me mad in the first place.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

I fart on my cats.

I fart on my papasan chair that Bailey likes to steal when I get up from it.

Serves him right.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

I initially read the title of the thread as "Forgive me cattledogs". I have no idea why, but its stuck in my head and I unwittingly read the thread title that way too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Topoisomerase posted:

Judge me for my deaf retarded Toller please just for comedy tell me what you would think IRL :v:

Honestly I looked at a dog in the shelter who was on phenobarbital for seizures and I didn't adopt him because a) he was stoned as gently caress and just didn't seem interested in anything b) medication past the usual flea and tick and heart worm meds can get expensive fast and c) my dad had a dog growing up that had seizures and he always was really upset talking about it so I decided I couldn't handle it.

I have no idea how you cope.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

My parents (generally good dog owners, the dogs are vetted, spoiled rotten, and pretty well taken care of) are not interested in learning about clicker training any of their dogs (or any purely +R based training) including one dog who has a very very soft temperament and is not food motivated at all and a Pomeranian who hates being picked up (she's been vet checked, its not a health issues).

Of course this means I sperg out every time I go home and my dad calls me a "dog social engineer". I get really mad that my dad thinks the Pom not wanting to be picked up is a dominance issue- she's small and he's like very tall. I've tried to say she's scared and uncomfortable but no, the most logical explanation is that an animal that prefers to spend most of its time being left the gently caress alone is angry and trying to move up in the pecking order over something maybe 50x her size. My parents just think I'm a crazy dog lady, and they show dogs, so I guess they'd know.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bailey annoys the poo poo out of me when he isn't being lump like- not because I hate it when he wants to do things, but he's not interested in doing things with me (like fetch or tug or anything that doesn't involve either food that I give him, food that he finds on the kitchen floor while I cook or petting) so its extremely difficult to get him to have a good/ appropriate outlet for his in the house energy. He's constantly underfoot looking for scraps when I cook and will try to steal any onion bits that fall on the floor.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Avshalom posted:

I reinforced my blue cattledog's thunder phobia instead of just ignoring him when he was freaking out, because he was so cute when he came to me for comfort snuggles.

When I have ice cream, my fox terrier gets to lick the bowl.

I walk a staffy for petty cash and she's been attacked by badly-trained lapdogs so many times that now she starts bristling as soon as she's confronted with anything fluffy that's smaller than a sheep. When some unleashed antisocial little poo poo tries to bite her and she attempts to murder it, I wait until its owner is out of sight and then I tell her that it's okay, I hate them too. It's probably reinforcing the behaviour but I don't care, we are kindred spirits.

You aren't reinforcing fear in that first case, FYI. Comforting the dog is just fine and appropriate.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

The boarding staff at my vet's office always tell me how much they love Bailey and how he's the best.

I'm half tempted to ask if any of them want him, especially when he acts up.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

malcriada posted:

Funny, there's no white people in Miami, lol.

Any dogs adopted out and returned are put down. FYI

Are you actually retarded or do you try really hard to give people that impression? Because thus far you've demonstrated that you can barely read and that you are exceptionally stupid.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

My boyfriend and I threaten my dog with being "put in to a stew pot" every time he's an rear end to us. Mainly because Bailey hates water, but also because the phrase, "Do you want to be made into Bailey stew?" gets him to wag his tail.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

I think it's a given that it's not possible to be a sperglord doglady and also be emotionally balanced

I cry when they air those terrible SPCA ads. I've seen them 100s of times.

I don't cry very often. So yeah, dog ladies be cray cray.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

That's really kind of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

It's really blowing my mind because she's got like screaming dog rage for Frankie but her and Moses are like making out and poo poo and Moses has literally never once in his life interacted in a positive way with a dog that isn't Frankie. She REALLY HATES FRANKIE and it's the funniest thing that has like ever happened.

She sees Frankie as competition. :colbert:

• Locked thread