Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I was bitterly disappointed in Rho when it became clear he is a gunshy worrier and more than a bit odd and it wasn't going to go away. So long dreams of making the SAR team and winning trials effortlessly in agility!

Oddly enough once I got over the disappointment and came to terms with the fact that he is what he is, I started to be able to enjoy working with him again. I still felt horrible for being disappointed in him and I'll probably feel guilty about it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

He is a good dog and it isn't his fault he's anxious, and I get mad at him for not being dumb and oblivious enough. :(
Yeah, I think I know exactly how you feel.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

-My dog puked at like 6am, and instead of getting up, I let him eat it and went back to sleep.
When Pi pukes while I'm sleeping, I wait and listen to figure out if he's eating it before I get out of bed. If he eats it, he's probably fine. If not, I wake up and check on him.

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh yeah, I encourage hella rough play with my dog too, including mouthing.
Ditto.

Asstro Van posted:

I have Opinions about euthanasia. I am perfectly comfortable with the idea of putting down basically anything for any reason. I'm not happy about it, but I feel like it should be an option instead of a superscary last resort.
I pretty much agree with you, but at the same time I'm happy I'm not the person doing the euth'ing. Also I resent people who euthanize healthy animals out of convenience, even though I think sometimes it may be in the best interest of the animal. On a similar vein, I would probably choose to euthanize my animals much, much sooner than most of PI. I don't think living as a paraplegic would be an appropriate life for my dogs, for example. Convenience doesn't come into it, I feel that the ability to move freely is such a big part of what makes my dogs who and what they are that I wouldn't even hesitate if it came to that.

I still don't regret clipping Pi for the summer and I'll probably do it again. I also still don't believe that the coat helps them regulate their temperature in the summer (though I'm happy to change my mind if I get a reasonable explanation!)

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Asstro Van posted:

I also play a game where I try to sneak as much kibble as possible into the fur on his back, tick style, whenever he circles me begging for food. His skin twitches like a stormy sea until he sits down and the kibble-ticks fall out.
This is great and makes me want to own a cat so I can do it too.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't take any of our three dogs for walks
I have to ask, because I'm really curious: how do you pull this off? I live in an apartment at the moment so I absolutely have no choice but to walk my dogs, but I can't imagine getting away with not doing it no matter where I lived.

I'm going to join the bunch of you who judge people by the dogs they own. I'm incredibly judgmental of people who own brachycephalic breeds or pretty much any other breed with exaggerated physical traits like chondrodysplasia, extremes in size bad enough to cause problems (dogs that are prone to random bouts of hypoglycemia, why the gently caress would you want one?) etc. If you believe a ridge is essential for a Rhodesian Ridgeback and ridgeless dogs shouldn't be bred from, I'll burst out laughing.

I can understand moderate Boxers for example (with regards to their faces, not the fact that they all die of cancer at a young age), but the extreme brachycephalics just make me angry. Our neighbor has an English Bulldog that I thought was ancient because he moves so badly it hurts to look at him and you can hear his breathing from a block away. The dog is two years old and they're going to get another EB in the summer because of ~*the breed's wonderful personality*~ Lady, I don't think you know anything about your dog's personality because he's physically unable to express it!!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsowelp posted:

So yes, there is my overly defensive update on Mouse's health issues :v:.
(seriouspost) You need to make a sheepdog x lurcher cross and I'll come and take one off your hands.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

My dog has killed two squirrels while on leash, and I am spectacularly proud of her for it. Most people I know think that's horrible. She's a sighthound. She's supposed to kill small fuzzy things, and I'm impressed that she could do it while attached to a human.
I point little critters out to my dogs if I spot a mouse or a mole before they do. A dog should kill small animals if given the chance and I don't care if they do it. Pi once caught and killed a rabbit while on leash and that was pretty impressive. The squirrels here are way too dog savvy for my dogs to catch.

I make sure my dogs behave when I come in the door. With guests, I don't care. If they allow the dogs to jump on them that's their business.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

That's not so much an animal sin as "don't be surprised when someone kicks your dog."
Yes, many of the people I allow into my home hate my dogs and tend to get violent with them :rolleyes:

I'm not going to spend time training out behavior many of my guests actively encourage because they choose to. I've told them how to behave so my dogs behave and when they choose to ignore said advice, I stop caring. And if a guest so much as shoved a dog of mine let alone kicked it, that person would be out of my home in a second and never allowed back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

Preeeeeeetty sure that was a joke and that no one is gauging anyone else's skill and value as a pet owner by a post in a thread entitled "Forgive me catladies, I have sinned: PI confession thread."
BUT MY DOGS :byodame:

Point taken (but I'd still punch anyone who laid a hand on MY DOGS and then ban that person from my home).

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 15, 2013

• Locked thread