Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I intentionally reinforce my cat's 'bad' behavior (knocking things off of the counters/tables, trying to grab things from my plate/fork while I'm eating them, etc) all the time because I think it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Oh yeah, I encourage hella rough play with my dog too, including mouthing.

I'm never going to have or be around children it's fine. :colbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

I'm pretty obnoxiously dog racist too and reactively wrinkle my nose at like every dog I see and then I feel bad about it. Really I think it's more that I pass judgements about people based on the type of dog they own and how their dog looks and I know that's really dumb.

Judge me for my deaf retarded Toller please just for comedy tell me what you would think IRL :v:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

wtftastic posted:

Honestly I looked at a dog in the shelter who was on phenobarbital for seizures and I didn't adopt him because a) he was stoned as gently caress and just didn't seem interested in anything b) medication past the usual flea and tick and heart worm meds can get expensive fast and c) my dad had a dog growing up that had seizures and he always was really upset talking about it so I decided I couldn't handle it.

She's not on anti-seizure meds. Her seizures are infrequent enough that her neurologist (who's also a mentor of mine, of sorts) and I have discussed the merits and drawbacks at length and I'm basically going to wait and see what her baseline frequency tends to be and make decisions based on changes in that.

Superconsndar posted:

I've never met or seen a toller irl so if I saw one I would probably just assume it was some kind of boring mutt and ignore it but if I knew it was actually a toller I would tell people I saw a toller today but I wouldn't ask you questions about it because I'd assume you were a dumbass and got it to be ~unique~ and don't do anything cool with it and then when you told me it was deaf I'd tack "rescue martyr" on the end of my mental judgement of you and say "Well she seems like a nice dog" and leave whilst rolling mine eyes

haha people usually notice that she 'prances' and has head tremors so it's pretty immediately obvious that she is retarded too so you would extra "rescue martyr heh" me and my dumb dog.

but it's okay because if I saw you out with Frankie I'd have the "ugh look at that disgusting trainwreck smashface thing I bet it smells loving awful" response anyway I judge people by their dogs too

edit: Actually I hate it when people ask what breed my dog is because by the time I manage to spit out "Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever" I've already lost them so I usually just say "a Canadian retrieving breed" and leave it at that.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 2, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Tristesse posted:

Also, I refuse to do anything about my mother in law's dog except hope he dies soon.

I feel the same way about my bf's old lovely Jack Russell Terrier who lives with us, complete with the couple of tries at training her but having her poo poo still be reinforced by my bf and having him go get a shock collar and use it incorrectly for her barking and poo poo despite me saying it won't work and then at least trying to teach him how to properly use one if he's going to use it.

So basically gently caress it hopefully she doesn't live too much longer.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Engineer Lenk posted:

My dog freaks out at brachycephalic breeds almost exclusively. I think it's kind of funny, so I haven't made any attempt to curb it.

I wasn't home for this so it's secondhand info, but apparently when a friend of my SO brought his pug over our house on his way back from a holiday, my normally very dog-friendly and well-socialized Bengal cat took a great deal of offense to the existence of this obvious freak of nature and took one look at the pug, hissed and spit at it and stalked off into the other room.

I wish I would have been there for it. I may have rewarded it if I were.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 3, 2012

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

benjai posted:

I don't empty the litter box regularly. I suck at it. The one in the living room drawer I change, because I can watch TV while I do it, but he uses the one in the hall more then the one in the living room. Which means I don't have the effort to change it as often as I should. Honestly, I'm considering removing the one in the hall all together because I just don't want to bother with it.

I know this is the confession thread and I really don't mean to be all PI catlady on you but I would not remove the litterbox the cat uses more often just because it's inconvenient for you to clean it. Once a cat develops a preference, they can be total spergs about that preference and then if he were to develop inconsistent litterbox habits based on its removal that could set you all up for a really tough time trying to get him to go in the box again.

Basically if it ain't broke don't fix it. If he doesn't care that you don't scoop it that often whatever. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Guys they aren't confessions if they are the same sanctimonious PI opinions yall post in every other thread just keep that in mind. ;)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I have a confession. I have always hated Dachshunds, ever since I first started working with dogs. One of the little fuckers was the first dog to bite me and I never ever trusted them ever.

My biggest interest since I started vet school has turned out to be in neurology and neurosurgery. Due to their propensity to blow disks out, Dachshunds are pretty much the bread and butter of veterinary neurosurgery and it's a rare day when there isn't at least one (usually more) Dachshund(s) in the neurology ward at our teaching hospital, where I work part-time helping out with inpatient treatments.

Guys....I don't know how to say this but...

I'm actually starting to like them. A lot. Like even the little bitey lovely ones. MY WHOLE LIFE IS UPSIDE DOWN OMG

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

kaworu posted:

I always find it shocking how she just does not hold grudges or get annoyed at me, ever. Or "fight back" in any form, like this morning even when I had grabbed and thrown her repeatedly her response was to try to be even more forcefully nice to me, which breaks my heart and makes me feel like SUCH a bad person.

Just so you know she is a cat so the last part is actually her intent, especially if it means you'll be all guilty and give her things. ;)

My cats regularly get launched when they're doing annoying things. Sometimes you just gotta fling a cat around.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

adventure in the sandbox posted:

It was ok, we were friends again once I was finished and the plates were gone but... geez dog enough with the guilt tripping. I know the swat (not even hard enough to be called a swat really) didn't hurt you.

lol I am the same way about eating (except I also contend with cat paws reaching towards my plate) and I will shove Pippa hard when she is all up in my plate and she's just like OMG A GAME LET'S PLAY or she lays down and stares at me on the floor like "yo I'm laying down gimme dat."

I could never deal with a ~sensitive dog~ like a lot of you have.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ButWhatIf posted:

I give my dog table scraps and Doritos and bits of ham (I cooked a 20 lb ham for Christmas and I will let Neigé eat as much as she wants if it means less ham in my fridge) and I do not care because I can feel all her ribs and she gets raw patties with extra fish oil for regular meals.

I used to do this but Pippa gets the grossest shits when she gets more than a tiny bit of table scrap-type stuff every couple of days so I had to stop. :(

And she also poops while walking, in a pretty big circle. And then she tries to run away as soon as the last turd falls from her butthole. The poop goblins. :saddowns:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
uptown: once you get the dog trained to not bother the cat as much as possible, you can totally start working on DS/CC the cat to the dog to alleviate the cat's stress somewhat too. But you don't want to do this until the dog will leave the cat alone reliably.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

anima posted:

Related, when I see dogs with water on the brain (like chihuahua trainwrecks) I want to beg them to euth. This disease is so loving painful, and scary, way worse than people realize. They don't even get the painkillers I do! I never ever would but I wanna slip them a tramadol sometimes. That's a good dog! Luckily there was one messed up chihuahua and after talking to me his owners take him to pain management and a neurologist & we stay in touch.

This is a really interesting perspective on hydrocephalus and I appreciate it. I think a lot of people, veterinarians included, don't consider that a dog with hydrocephalus might be in pain as a result. I'd like to hear more about it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

anima posted:

Sorry this is long, this is feelings I guess and I guess maybe other vet types would be interested.
For other questions email me at haunted dawt cat at gmail dawt com

Thanks! I'm considering doing neurology, so this is a thing that I'll see frequently enough that I feel like I should try to learn more about it from the perspective of what it might actually be like for the dog aside from the neurologic deficits that we can notice. Their cases are often very extreme, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

notsowelp posted:

I don't really have PI dreams any more because my emotional investment in this forum has waned quite a lot after like 8 years of reading and posting.

This is my PI confession. Sorry dudes.

I have literally never had a dream about this forum. I don't really feel like that's a confession though.

• Locked thread