Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Most of Beck's vet care is done through a lovely country vet who can't be counted on to diagnose anything more complicated than a hotspot because of a lack of equipment and because he's old and redneck as heck. When Skylar started coughing he told us it was probably allergies and wrote her a prescription for antihistimines- when we took her to the teaching hospital I use for more complicated stuff she was diagnosed with lung cancer. If I need a real diagnosis I go there, but for 90% of stuff my old vet is way cheaper and less of a drive.

A lot of dogs are boring to me but the only dogs I dislike on the whole are Yorkies. They just look sickly to me. One of my coworkers wants to talk about dogs with me all the time but I can't because I'm afraid it'll slip out that I think her dog looks weird and greasy.

I come from a family who only adopts dogs, I've worked in a shelter, and I'm fine having rescue pit bulls since I can always find one that's high energy and emotionally needy but I would drop huge amounts of money on a bone mouth shar pei from Hong Kong if I ever had the chance and I'd be such a smug rear end in a top hat about it.

Sometimes I subtly encourage Beck to stay on the bed when my girlfriend is trying to get her off of it. I can do this without my girlfriend realizing that's what I'm doing by just talking to Beck or looking her in the eye. I do it because Beck is cute and I'm terrible.

edit: Also sometimes when I'm having a beer I dip my little finger in it and let Beck lick it off so she thinks she's special.

Wheats fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I tend to have medical-related anxiety and sometimes I project it onto Beck and worry about her health. I just took her out one last time before bed and she kept doing this weird squatting thing while walking around looking for a place to pee. I was 100% convinced that her hips were giving out. As soon as we came back inside, she scooted on her butt really quickly on the floor and ran to jump in my bed, trailing a nasty fishy smell behind her. Gross little dog was trying to express her anal glands the whole time. I was having a panic attack because my dog was reluctant to drag her rear end on the cold ground outside and I thought her hips were shot.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

RabbitMage posted:

I want a Labradoodle. :woof:

Along these lines, I would adopt a hippo dog if one that was hilarious looking enough came in to the county shelter. They crack me up, I'd maybe like to own one at least once as long as I wasn't paying a breeder and wasn't paying more than $50 for it.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Captain Foxy posted:

Keeper hates men (unless they're effeminate and/or gay) and since I'm a gay lady I don't interact with a lot of dudes so I pretty much do nothing about it.

He's fine with everyone while he's out and about on leash, and sucks up to people he would normally hate all the time, just to screw with me. But if you come into my house you will be BARK BARK BARK'ed at until your ears are ringing.

Beck is pretty similar. She likes my dad and the vets and that's about it for men. She will sit across our big living room from them and stare just to make sure they don't forget that's she's got her eye on them. I'll put her out of the room but I'm not really motivated to put any effort into working with her on it.

I also think her dislike of male dogs is funny. Besides, she's always at least civil to other dogs and I prefer having female dogs so it's kind of a good deal for me.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Superconsndar posted:

Lmao I use retractable leashes when I'm hiking or in an unpopulated area and want to let Moses explore. He has good recall but I wouldn't trust him off leash if he suddenly saw someone with a dog, so retractable leash is the compromise. It's me, I'm the guy with the flexi-lead.

I do this too, flexi-leads are pretty handy if you don't want to constantly untangle a long line from brush.

I just remembered this morning that I used to put peanut butter on the end of Skylar's nose and watch her wander around for ten minutes looking for the source of the smell.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I'm using a car harness on Beck for safety now, but also because she had this terrible habit. Now and then, Beck will have a day where she acts like a dick about everything. In the car, the only rule I ever enforce is that she stay sitting or lying down in the back. On her bad days, Beck will bend this rule by sitting with her butt on the very edge of the back seat and her chest on the car's center console, so that the front half of her body is between the front seats. Once she's sitting like this, you can't get her out because she uses her legs and shoulders on the front seats to wedge herself in. Any attempt to move her just results in dirty looks because THE RULE IS I HAVE TO SIT AND I'M SITTING, YOU CAN'T MAKE ME MOVE I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG. Once I give up and ignore her she starts licking my elbow constantly.

gently caress you dog, I can too make you move.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I like holding my conure in my fist and zooming him around in the air in figure eights and dramatic dives and making plane sounds. NNNNEEEEYYYOOOOWWWWW

He stares at me with this long-suffering air the whole time.

My girlfriend used to do this with our rats. I think Phoolan kind of enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

RazorBunny posted:

I actually found that having a dog helped with mine a little, because when strangers approached me because of my dog they were usually happy to just talk about dogs. Dogs are a subject I can talk about without feeling like I've said something mortally embarrassing and/or weird.

Yes, oh my god. My partner's parents have been always been awkward and kind of repressed, whereas my family is always joking around, and sometimes I think the only reason any of us can hold a conversation is because they have a big, goofy-looking dog we can all talk about instead of sitting through the awkward silence until someone thinks of something else to make small talk about.

Working at a shelter was what brought me out of my shell. I was really eager to talk to people about these dogs, and I learned how to sublty push someone towards something (like adopting a dog that would be a good match) or turn them away (like the people who were interested in adopting a JRT that was marked for people with older kids only because they were hoping getting bitten would teach their 7 year old dog manners).

• Locked thread