Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I let Apple stand and stare at the fence, waiting for his boyfriend (the neighbor chihuahua) to come out so they can have a barking contest at each other. I know I should (and could) train him to not do that, but he seems to enjoy it so much. I will let him bark for a while and then make him come inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Pew! Pew! posted:

I judged people with dogs that have crops and docks without thinking. :negative: Never living that down. Also I was pretty dumb when I first joined and I still feel like I'm pretty dumb about Dog Things next to some PI regulars, but I'm more of a small animal person anyway. I considered bringing multiple dogs into a household with a small child (the dogs being Corbin and I was considering a shiba inu at the time :gonk:).

Last thing: I was a hoarder. There, I said it. I was a small mammal animal hoarder when I was pregnant and ended up having to rehome at least 5 animals I couldn't care for because of the sheer amount and not having the time or money to care for them. :sigh: I'm glad I've mostly stopped (now I'm even super reluctant to go to pet stores and the like) but it was still pretty bad at the time.
So yeah!! Impulse buys are bad for the most part and I feel bad about that. At the very least, all the animals I have rehomed are with people I trust and can visit whenever to make sure they're alright. :3:

e: Captain Foxy, one of the animals I impulse....kept? Is a hamster. My friend dropped him off on me and never took him back because :effort:

When I worked at Petco, I adopted/bought:
-Babby Robo Hampster (omfg nothing should be that cute); kept for ~5 months because I moved from my tiny rear end apt into a tiny rear end bedroom in a house I rented=smelling bedroom
-2 tree frogs, kept maybe 2 months. I couldn't figure out how to keep the substrate moist enough from sticking to their skin so they never came down to eat. So they got skinny. I guess I figured I was a bad frog owner and didn't want them to die so I gave them away
-lineolated parakeet. Bought him/her from petco because she was on clearance (yes, I know) and I figured I could fix her from being broken (since she was at our store for maybe 2 years and before that came from another store). Nope. My expertise is limited to budgies and only budgies. I fed her bad food and never trained her. She was terrified of me so I rarely took her out. I found a good home for her on craigslist, of all places. Her new mom used to breed and raise them. She probably bred her but meh. I would get emails from her telling me how much fun my ex-bird was having with her new bff, a green linnie named Apollo.
-Ocean, the budgie I adopted because a kid I worked with was going to take her and he was realllyyy bad at keeping animals. Plus I felt bad because he was found outside during winter. Had him just about trained.
-finches, 3 other budgies; gave away because I got pnemonia and it was probably from having 7 birds in the house :byodame: and now I have REALLY bad bird allergies so that helps to insure I won't get another for a very long time
-a puppy because I was stupid
-the one that hurts the worst: my cat Maggie. I got her because I finally got my first apt. It was really awesome, just me and her. I moved into a house on a very busy part of town that had a doggie door. She was also declawed (came that way). I thought it would be cruel to keep her locked up in a tiny room all day. She used to sleep under the covers with me and always slept on her back with her paws up in the air.

I now understand what I was doing. I was going through a whole shitload of problems and I figured that if I loved and cared for All the Abandoned Animals then all my problems would magically go away. Nope, it didn't work. It took a long time before I realized that the only way I would be happy (animal wise) was to only keep a few and spoil them rotten. I haven't adopted or bought anything since I got Riley, 2 years ago.

I have even been volunteering at the local shelter clinic and I haven't gotten anything. I feel I do enough loving on them while they are at the clinic. So go me I guess :unsmith:

• Locked thread