Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I have been slacking off like a total twat for the last couple of months with Lola, and resorting to just management/more punishment (verbal) when she does Things I Don't Like. She's getting more reactive because of it.

Jess is pretty much ignored 95% of the time because she spends all day asleep in another room. Then when she wants attention she's really pushy and dickish. She winds me up like no other animal ever has and makes me want to throttle her sometimes.

My mouse is taken out for checkups but he doesn't enjoy handling much and I don't enjoy it much so it just doesn't really happen. He's fat and happier than 99.9% of mice everywhere so idgaf.

I still haven't trained my dogs to have appropriate reactions to the door, so if someone knocks or comes in they are gut-punched by Jess and screamed at and jumped on or barked shrilly at by Lola, depending on whether or not she knows them.

Whenever I see people forking out looooads for rat/small animal surgeries I feel like total poo poo because I will not do that. Ever. I am a student, and would rather put my money toward food/housing/emergency funds for my dogs than for my rats. If my rats get tumors I will assess their quality of life until it starts to decline, then take them to be euthed. I do not have the money or inclination for rat surgeries.

I am a dick :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

...Unless I just happen to REALLY like that animal for whatever reason, and then I will meltdown over it and spend whatever I can so basically I am horrible and play favorites. :(

I am at least psycho about my dogs and if anything happened to either of them I'd spend every penny of my savings and then start selling poo poo and begging family members for loans to get them seen about.

I have a weird kind of line between psycho animal lady and being pragmatic. I love animals and give my animals the best care I can, which means decent food/housing/toys/taking to the vets/etc, but there has to be a line. I'd spend more money on surgery on Lola than on Jess, because Jess is nearly thirteen years old and Lola is like two, and more on Jess than on the rats.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on PI to have animals if you can't afford to fork out XYZ amount of money at any one time, but that's just not always possible imo.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I've heard it banded around here that if you don't have like several thousand saved up at any one point for each animal then you are a Bad Owner and shouldn't have pets v:shobon:v

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

ETA: sometimes I think about buying puppies on craigslist

There was ~Jork Russell~ puppies in the pet shop I visited today. One was really feisty and I would be a filthy liar if I said I wasn't tempted to snatch him up and bring him home. Thankfully they cost a crazy amount of money!

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I punish my dogs when they are bad. Mainly I yell at them, I have actually grabbed Delta and sort of tossed her to the ground so I could yell at her (we do not nip at cats in this household). And it works, they learn very quickly to stop doing the bad thing.

Jess does not respond to cooing baby tones if I want her to do a thing (like go in/out of a room, go into the yard to pee because I have work, etc). I get really loving frustrated when she just stands and stares at me and I've screamed at her quite a lot of times before.

Lola has a quiet meltdown about it and Jess barely gives a gently caress. Hounds. :mad:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Wonder Bra posted:

When I was little, I accidentally killed my sister's hamster. It had "wet tail" and was being medicated with something put in its water. Well, the cage was at the foot of my bed and the drat thing would not. stop. drinking. All night long. I couldn't sleep, so I took the water bottle out and it died. Poor thing was just trying to stay hydrated. :(

When I was like twelve I talked my mum into getting me a mouse because ~omg mice~. She was in the tiniest cage ever and lived on her own and was terrified of me so I basically forgot about her most of the time and never, ever handled her. I used to get really annoyed with her being so noisy on her wheel at night that one night I just took it out.

She got really, really, really fat over the course of the next ~month or so and then just died, at the age of like seven months or something.

I am sorry Jinx :smith:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Sometimes I like to run away from Lola when she's not looking and then let her find me. She gets Really Upset and starts screaming.

I especially did it when she was a puppy, if she tried to be a terrier and blow me off. Now she barely takes her eyes off of me. I wonder why :downs:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

daggerdragon posted:

I de-landmine the yard about four times a year because I don't go out there, so why do I care?

I'm so bad about cleaning the yard. :cripes: I usually clean it once or twice a week, but it's absolutely tiny and all cement. In the summer I should really clean up every time the dogs go out but holy hell it's just so much effort.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I get really goony nerdrage about ~'doodles~ and ~'poos~ and any other designer breed, to the point where my friends like to poke fun at me about it.

I also play favourites with my friends' dogs. Driveless dogs make me want to strangle everyone ever. Maybe this is why I actively dislike smaller (below "Jack Russell terrier sized") dogs and a lot of big ol' mutts. vOv I think that's also why me and Jess don't get along too well.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Captain Foxy posted:

-When I'm at the dog food store with Keeper and someone else's dog, large or small, is acting out, I deliberately show off how much more well-trained and obedient he is and when people invariably go 'Wow that tiny dog is better trained than you, Rex/Fluffy/Dumb Lab' and I act all surprised and modest like I didn't expect them to notice. :smuggo:

I get so loving smug if I'm walking Lola and she walks nicely past a strange dog (I don't even care if I have a ball in front of her nose, it counts damnit). This is especially so if the other dog is having a screaming meltdown. I also just generally judge people who have dogs that are shrieking at me/my dog, but especially so if the owner is using dominance based methods.

'Heh, your methods really work, don't they :smug:'

One thing I always feel terribly guilty about is my chipmunks. The chipmunks were bought for me on impulse and lived in a lovely little cage (a male and female in a critter 3 cage :geno:). There was a male and female because the guy that bought them for me basically wanted to byb them, lol. The girl died like two months after I'd gotten her and I found her half eaten. Just a tail and back legs. I rehomed the male, even though he was my little bro, pretty much immediately after because I was Young And Dumb and didn't realise that was a natural thing.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I keep trying to shove my rats into harnesses.

So far they don't like it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Sometimes I regret getting Lola because if I'd been more responsible/been on PI before I got her, I could have found a working breeder and gotten a more confident dog that I could do a lot more with. When she was younger she played so nicely with strange dogs that I thought she was going to be my hang out at the park/social dog buddy. :sigh:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

When I walk Lola, Jess and Kya at the same time I feel really pro. Yesterday I said 'walk on, bitches' about a dozen times with a really smug grin each time.

I just can't stop myself.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

mickeymickey posted:

I think about my ex when I'm having sex with my fiance :(

edit: wait gently caress

For real though, count me in with the lazy litterbox scoopers. I clean Malcolm's box maybe once every two weeks :gonk: He pisses all over the apartment, but I don't care because we're moving soon and we'll have to get the carpets steam-cleaned anyway. Piss wherever you want, little guy.

That is really, really gross. Do you ever have friends come over??

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Topoisomerase posted:

lol I am the same way about eating (except I also contend with cat paws reaching towards my plate) and I will shove Pippa hard when she is all up in my plate and she's just like OMG A GAME LET'S PLAY or she lays down and stares at me on the floor like "yo I'm laying down gimme dat."

I could never deal with a ~sensitive dog~ like a lot of you have.

I'm so used to my sensitive dog now that my non-sensitive, stubborn dog (and anyone else's dog that is not a ~special snowflake~) just really annoys me. I'm used to a dog that basically runs away crying or rolls over and gives me puppy eyes if I get mad about something. V:shobon:V It's a good way to stop me from being mad when my dog acts like I'm ending her world.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I gave my mouse a haribo gummy bear about a week ago, and it was only when he'd chewed it to pieces that I realised that that much sugar is A Bad Thing for mice.

He's fine though :downs:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Sometimes I throw my dog onto the couch from like a metre and a half. She always comes running back screeching for me to do it again. If I do it too many times in a row, though, it suddenly becomes not fun anymore and she gets upset. :haw:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

malcriada posted:

One of my cats names is nigga, because he's so timid and anti social that he's definitely no ones nigga....

:catstare:

Confession: I like running away from Lola or blocking her access to me. She starts shrieking and it's hilarious.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 6, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

There is a byb little JRT puppy on a local pets for sale group. It's probably from ugly, gross parents and lovely and a driveless potato but it is the spitting image of Lola, down to the spotty ear, and I want it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Sometimes I feel like a terrible, lovely owner because my dogs have so many *~issues~* and it makes me almost wish I could give them to someone else to solve their problems (even though that wouldn't actually work at all).

:saddowns:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I just kicked Lola down half of my stairs because I was carrying washing and couldn't see past it.

I felt bad for about a second, then hopeful that maybe this will stop her from walking / stopping in front of me on the stairs. (It probably won't though.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Wouldn't this conversation be better in random nonsense? Preferably with pictures? :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

When my lady rats are in heat and I pet them they vibrate and wiggle their ears. I do it a lot. Sorry girls but it's hilarious. :haw:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Oh boy I been saving these up.

Confession: the puppy likes to roo first thing in the morning after she's been outside, even if it is like 8am. I've been encouraging it so now we have loud rooing matches and it is deeply hilarious. Between her roo and Lola's high pitched yaps, my neighbours probably hate me.

Confession: the more and more time I spend around non functional (ie toy or flat faced) dogs the more anti them I become. :iamafag:

Confession: I kind of want a cat right now, but I live on a busy road (as far as small towns go) so it wouldn't be able to go out. I despise litter boxes. Also I think having a cat as well as my other pets might push me into crazy hoarder territory.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Zenithbliss posted:

At the moment we have 7 indoor cats as well as the dog, 3 gerbils and dozens of fish :downs:

Two dogs, five rats, two gerbils and a cat sounds crazy though (especially as they'd all be my responsibility).

But really my main issue with a cat would be the litterbox. They are gross.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I've had the puppy for like two months and she barely knows ANYTHING, trick or training wise. As a result we're going to start going to the best puppy class I can get to, which is still Not Great.

Sometimes I get a major bout of guilt over getting the puppy so soon after Jess was pts... and for not really caring about it. I loved Jess but we butted heads a LOT. It's kind of easier to remember her than it was to live with her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I too have PI dream guilt. I dream of getting various dogs from pet shops (by and large uk pet shops don't even sell dogs) and then pretending I got them from responsible breeders :toot:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got gerbils to fill my 'useless pet' quota and I have barely even touched them. I've held them twice. They take food off of me and are content to do their own things. If someone I knew had been like 'yeah I'm gonna get some gerbils, feed them, watch them and otherwise ignore them' I'd have annoyed but I am a total hypocrite, so :iamafag:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Drum posted:

I bought a fake chainsaw for my Halloween costume and revved it at Sheila. Then I laughed when she skittered away. I am a monster.

I chased my dogs down the hall wearing a werewolf mask last week. They fled barking, and I laughed my rear end off.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Ginny Field posted:

As someone who gets really creeped out by furbaby nonsense (skinkids and furkids and the like), I don't object at all to "granddog." I think it's kind of cute.

Yep, pretty much. If I ask the dogs 'Where's Grandma?' they run off to find my mum :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Last night I chased Kalli around the room holding a rat. Chell gave no fucks, Kalli wanted to die.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

adventure in the sandbox posted:

Yesterday we ran out of dog food. They got peanut butter sandwiches and a bunch of one day past expiry cottage cheese.

The rats haven't had their actual food for like a week. Instead: fat balls, cheesecake, biscuits, etc. I validate it bc they skinny and need to fatten up while it's cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Ponyfields posted:

Apparently, I am an idiot. Totally did not know rabbits freeze if you shine a light in their eyes at night and turned Yuuna loose down the local dog walking area with her Puplight on last night. Fortunately she didn't get any bunnies but someone at work kindly explained to me, no, putting a bright light on your dog won't necessarily give the bun-buns a head start. :aaaaa:

Yeah lamping is really common and dates back to forever ago!

• Locked thread