Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I had birds when I was younger. Started out with a zebra finch in 6th grade, got another one and then a few more from a friend of my grandma's and then figured I'd try to breed them. Big loving mistake. Only two chicks survived out of a billion eggs between the two pairs I had, and he pulled out a ton of his dad's feathers one day which killed him so I didn't feed the son for a few days and when I got home and went to feed him afterward he was dead in the food bowl. And his mom had died too in the nesting box thing, no idea why but it was probably my fault for not giving them the care or nutrition they needed. I was a loving idiot. Grandma's friend also gave me two lovebirds at one point and one of my high school boyfriend's Mom gave me two cockatiels. Those four plus the second surviving zebra finch chick were all that remained of the... oh god it must've been ~12 birds all told... when I went to college. By the end of Sophomore year I finally found people who would take the lovebirds and tiels, the finch died at some point. The lovebirds are with a friend now who loves them and lets them out to fly in her room and gives them treats and actually cleans the bottom of their cages more than once every two months. Haven't heard from the lady who took the tiels in awhile but from what I understand they love their new owner.

Like some people in this thread I have issues with depression and it took way too long for me to realize that I was loving up their lives and not giving them the amount of care they needed. Once I figured that out I found people to take them. I wish I could drum the same thing into my parents' heads with their three dogs, they're stuck in this tiny concrete and wire fenced pen and only let out very very sporadically. The thing hardly ever gets shoveled out and when I lived there it only got hosed out maybe a few times a summer and never in the winter. I'm incredibly tempted to call animal control on them but the two girl dogs are overweight and ~10 years old and the boy dog is fairly large and has a ton of energy and doesn't know how to control himself. I just can't go through with it because then my family will hate me and I have a feeling all three of them will get put down because my parents live out in the country and I don't think there are any no-kill shelters in their county.

I really wish my family was better at having pets. My husband and I have two cats and scoop the two litter boxes about once a week and feed them that blue diamond chicken flavor dry food, and try to clip nails and brush them when they're sleepy. If we ever start neglecting them like my family had/has neglected the other pets I'll find a new home for them, not gonna put Nimitz and Laptop through what the others did :(

Ugh and this doesn't even cover the two rabbits and I forgot to mention the budgie I had for two years or so and the other dogs we had before the current three that are still at my parents' and holy balls I'm pissed off at myself right now for all of this despite it being years ago and if we were dog people I'd totally just kidnap the girl dogs from their house and keep them here and ugh why did I have to find this thread when I was already feeling like poo poo.

Edit: here's a picture of the kitties playing with their snake on a stick toy. So glad they seem happy living here :unsmith:

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Dandy Shrew posted:

Oh god, I thought you were my ex husbands wife for a second.
Many a year ago, my ex and I found this little kitten by the Nimitz museum in Texas, and named him Nimitz. He was a good kitty but kind of crazy and I only fed him purina and cheap canned cat food. My ex was really emotionally unstable and would kick nimitz when he'd jump out from behind the couch/if he was meowing too much. When I eventually left him, I did not take nimitz with me because I didn't have a job or anything planned out, I was just going to stay with my brother. I should have found him a better home.

:O I'd kick the rear end of anyone if they kicked my cat! My Nimitz is a girl kittie named after the treecat in the Honor Harrington series who was named after Admiral Nimitz, though I didn't know that til after we'd named her- we joke sometimes about how she'd better not grow to be aircraft carrier sized :v:

Our kitties fight sometimes and I can never tell if it's playfighting or not, so I just make sure there's no blood and boop Laptop on the nose for it. It's almost always Laptop who starts them (she's the calico). I also use the spray bottle to get them out of the bedroom cause my husband brings them in to wake me up some days and they aren't supposed to be in there but they're so cute and okay they can stay for like two minutes except they really stay for an hour or two and then I have to chase them out and shut the door.

The thunderstorm yesterday freaked them out so I opened the bedroom door and they zoomed under the bed to hide. Then once it was all over I squirted at them to shoo them out. Nimitz came over and cuddled on my lap on the couch a bit after that and she was still wet and I felt bad about getting them wet when they'd been terrified of a rainstorm :/

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Candy Dawn posted:

I'm a bad cat mommy. :( I spoil my babies to death but after Yorick did this once I had to get him to do it again. Forgive my shrill cackling. He got lots of treats after! He's my big dumb puffy boy. :3:

http://youtu.be/98uwQnGSg10

You even drew faces on the box :3: That's great!

I've been sick the past few days and when I'm not feeling well every little thing gets on my nerves. Cue Laptop constantly meowing for food last night hours before food time(tm) and me getting more and more fed up with her. Three minutes til food time(tm) I scooped her up and locked her in the bathroom with me while I did my business and laughed (as well as you can with a sore throat, owww) as she frantically dug her paws under the door trying to pry it open. Once I was done I just barely unlatched it and watched her click it closed again. Unlatched it again and she finally pulled it open and slunk out glaring at me... Kitties digging and meowing at doors is only funny when I say it is, Laptop *crosses arms* Meanwhile Nimitz was waiting on the other side of the door being a good kitty waiting patiently for her foodses. Good kitty.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

You're not the first kid to accidentally kill a pet, don't beat yourself up about it. One of my sisters saw our kitten, Captain Holly Short, on the other side of the road when she went to get the mail one day. She tried calling for her to come back, and as she did Holly got hit by a car. Mom and Dad brought her into the kitchen and tried to assess the damage/call the vet but Holly ended up suffocating from collapsed lungs :(

We had a bunch of animals, both cats and dogs, get hit by various vehicles. Mom's allergic to cats and after Goldie died she decided no more dogs in the house either. Dad's place is a 2 1/2 acre plot out in the middle of a bunch of cornfields, so we've had at least one cat and most of the time a couple of dogs outside, though after Pepper got hit our first week in the house Dad built them a pen. Didn't help Dandy and Knight, though, since they slipped out once when Dad went to feed them and our bus driver called Mom a few days later to tell her she saw them dead on the side of a road a couple miles away :(

Man I could go on for ages about all the pets that my family has had and all the various ways they've died, at least now my husband is keeping me on the straight and narrow with our current (indoor only!) cats and Dad's amenable to the idea of finding new homes for their three outdoor dogs in that teeny tiny concrete shithole of a pen :sigh: I really should help him with that, it's going to be hard rehoming two ~9 year old dogs and a huge unneutered ~4 year old, none of which have been house trained or even -in- a house since forever.

/ramble

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

InEscape posted:

How old are you guys, out of curiosity? Captain Holly Short is an Artemis Fowl reference right?

Oh, sorry I just re-checked this thread: I'm currently 25 and all three of my sisters are younger than me. We had Holly for maybe 2 weeks before she got hit, back when I was in late middle or early high school I think? And major kudos for getting the name reference :D

I should get on Dad to neuter Merlin, but with the pen the way it is I'd be scared he'd get an infection :ohdear: At least April and May were both spayed before we got them (from the humane society, and there's not really been a single time I've seen or thought of them that I don't think they'd have been better off staying there instead of going home with us...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I fed my dog a few small pieces of cornbread as a treat before suddenly remembering the Pet Nutrition thread said corn was bad. :bang:

It appears that it's okay in small doses (so long as doggie isn't allergic, which some dogs are to corn)- the nutrition thread's emphasis on corn is when it's a significant portion of poor quality dry foods. Good on you for remembering, but in this case at least your puppy should be just fine!

If you're worried about foods that are bad in even small amounts, might I suggest printing out a list and posting it somewhere in your kitchen? Maybe make it look nifty and frame it so it looks nice? Especially if you or visitors are prone to giving in to the begging eyes :)

• Locked thread