Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A late confession, due in part to being 30 and just finding out a few months ago.

When I was little (5 or 6), my asthma and allergies kicked in hard, to the point where my pediatrician told my parents to get the dog out of the house yesterday. Now, I remember Gretchen (a Rough Collie/German Shepherd mix), and her going away. My parents never gave me the oh-she's-at-a-farm line or anything; I just was told she went away. As you can guess: nope, she was euthanized. Because of me. :smith:

But it gets better (or worse)! When my dad told me about this, he explained that giving her away wasn't really the kindest thing for her. After all, she was an older dog suffering from multiple ailments. When I asked about that (because I didnt know!), my dad explained that Gretchen had broken/hurt her back legs and hip some time previous, and she was having trouble getting around.

The cause of her hip/leg injury? Evidently I was playing with her with a bouncy ball, and innocently bounced the ball at such an angle/speed that, combined with the geography, she jumped after it and landed badly.

So not only my mere existence caused my dog (which, even though I don't have many memories of, I miss from time to time) to be put down, but the reason why she couldn't be given away was also because of me. :(

Other smaller confessions:

- I'm afraid of dogs. Like I said, I grew up with major allergies and asthma with regards to dogs. I could not, biologically, have a "Aw hi nice doggie" attitude. I had to have a "Oh God, get away, get away, GETAWAY" attitude, because otherwise I could (and often did) have to go to the hospital. My allergies are still severe enough that I have to distance myself, and I try not to be so blatant about it, but I know those little guys are just being nice and I'm sorry but I can't let you :(

- If I could have a dog, it'd be an English Bulldog. Most of what I've read about them says they wouldn't be that good for a newbie dog-owner, and would be expensive as hell, but I'm pretty sure I'd do it anyway just because I'd want an English Bulldog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread