Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I judged people with dogs that have crops and docks without thinking. :negative: Never living that down. Also I was pretty dumb when I first joined and I still feel like I'm pretty dumb about Dog Things next to some PI regulars, but I'm more of a small animal person anyway. I considered bringing multiple dogs into a household with a small child (the dogs being Corbin and I was considering a shiba inu at the time :gonk:).

Last thing: I was a hoarder. There, I said it. I was a small mammal animal hoarder when I was pregnant and ended up having to rehome at least 5 animals I couldn't care for because of the sheer amount and not having the time or money to care for them. :sigh: I'm glad I've mostly stopped (now I'm even super reluctant to go to pet stores and the like) but it was still pretty bad at the time.
So yeah!! Impulse buys are bad for the most part and I feel bad about that. At the very least, all the animals I have rehomed are with people I trust and can visit whenever to make sure they're alright. :3:

e: Captain Foxy, one of the animals I impulse....kept? Is a hamster. My friend dropped him off on me and never took him back because :effort:

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

I let the rats beer and wine off my fingers. I only really seek out the company of two of my four, since those are the ones I like. I slack on giving them regular fruit and veg they're supposed to get, and one of them is actually pretty fat. Sorry rats but you're still spoiled vermin so I don't feel that bad.

The way I see it, rats should be spoiled because you'll never know when they'll kick the bucket or get massive tumors everywhere.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I now understand what I was doing. I was going through a whole shitload of problems and I figured that if I loved and cared for All the Abandoned Animals then all my problems would magically go away. Nope, it didn't work. It took a long time before I realized that the only way I would be happy (animal wise) was to only keep a few and spoil them rotten. I haven't adopted or bought anything since I got Riley, 2 years ago.

I have even been volunteering at the local shelter clinic and I haven't gotten anything. I feel I do enough loving on them while they are at the clinic. So go me I guess :unsmith:

This right here is exactly why I did it too, basically distracting myself from e/n problems by getting animals. I'm really glad I managed to stop myself before it got too bad (especially considering I work at a Petco now).
So now I just quietly rage inside about people buying hamsters for a 3 year old, but otherwise I think I have that issue under control.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

(To make this a confession: I secretly like that gecko, she's so mean and dumb :3:)

I don't know what it is about slightly "off" animals, but I love them dearly. For example, my rat Cubone has no idea how to socialize with other rats because I'm pretty sure she's just kind of weird psychologically (was raised with zero other rats and possibly not socialized with people either) but she loves everything!! And wants to put her hands all over you and lick your face and you're great and whee! She had to be isolated because my older girls don't want to be bothered by her being weird. But she's silly and affectionate and The Best Rat, clearly.
I kind of want a pissed-off derp lizard. I think it would be adorable. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I like to wake up my rats by opening the cage, reaching into their hammock/tube and shaking them while saying "Buttsbuttsbutts" and then closing their cage and cackling at the confused reactions.

This thread will probably be archived by future psychologists.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Lagomorphic posted:

I used to use a retractible leash. It was easier to keep my dog untangled with it. The only reason I stopped is because he died and the new dog is a greyhound.

My grandmother's dog (used to be ~mine~ when I was younger) is about 30 pounds and broke three retractable leashes because she pulls a lot. My grandparents walk her in a harness and nylon lead now.

Confession-wise, I got a dog when I was 10 and went through the whole I PROMISE TO WALK THEM EVERY DAY AND FEED THEM routine. Which I did, until I got on medication for depression/ADD/bipolar/flavor of the week pillz and would sometimes forget for two or three days to feed her (outside dog, but she had a water fountain thing so that was rarely out) because I was too busy staring blankly at walls. Went through a good chunk of my teenage years stoned on meds, neglected my dog, I think I might've accidentally killed someone's hamster too by not getting it water (I honestly have a hard time remembering that but my mom swears that happened).
The moral is that if your under the influence of anything you probably shouldn't be trusted with the care of an animal, but at least the dog is okay. She's about 12 or 13 now I think? Tenacious as ever. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

When I got off medication it actually helped me but that's because I was very badly misdiagnosed (I have BPD, which I don't think they can legally diagnose until you're 18 or something dumb like that?) but I was taking medications for completely unrelated stuff, like schizophrenia and psychosis. My grandparents were more like "believe anyone who has a degree".
I'm actually pretty relived they refused to have "inside" animals, so I didn't have the chance to beg for and then neglect various caged critters.

Another confession: I've used craigslist to rehome animals. This was before I discovered a local shelter that does actually take in small animals/exotics. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I got rid of most of my internet friends I'd made before SA because they animaldumb. Guess that's what I get for keeping friends from deviantart from years ago. ^:shobon:^

e: To clarify I wasn't chatting with them much now anyway so it'd be more along the lines of "I cleared out several lists of acquaintances that are animaldumb."

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

malcriada posted:

Yes :byodood:

I live in miami if that makes any difference.... Where a lot of people use nigga as a "bro".

...but it was never intended to be a racist thing, after all he is my nigga :razz:

I lived in Miami for 5 years and never saw/heard this. The exception was with stupid, white, barely pubescent children. :raise:

Which reminds me that while I was in Miami, I encouraged my mom to get a 6 week old shi-tzu puppy (I was 14 at the time). I feel awful about it now, but we did end up taking it to a shelter when we discovered 5 week old puppies are incredibly needy instead of returning it to the store, so there's that.
Poor dog, I hope it is doing better now. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

That's amazing. She sounds just like Corbin did when I first picked him up from the shelter. :unsmith: That really brightened my day up to hear that. Corbin was on death row when we got him too, and super nervous as well.

I confess to this thread that I actively seek reptile owners to argue with on tumblr since the reptile tags contain the biggest pieces of poo poo aside from outright sadism and organized abusive acts. I figure "if I can change one mind, maybe I can save an animal's life", but the responses are along the lines of "I do what I want" and "nothing has gone wrong yet" and "well they would normally eat this stuff/die from disease and horrible conditions in the wild" and my personal favorite "gently caress off vegan". :allears: Maybe one day these I'm assuming teenagers will listen, but I doubt it.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Dumbo ears don't vibrate because if they did the rat would fly off into space.

e: I pin Cubone a lot because her self defense mechanism is to lick people until they surrender. It's hilarious and adorable. :3: And it annoys her a lot.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

When my fiancee's cats fight with each other, I tell her "the kids are fighting again". :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I feed my cats crap food because they like it more. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I've put things on my cats and Sycamore will freak out appropriately but Juniper will go all :black101: and rip off the offending object with her teeth. Which is amusing in a different way.

• Locked thread