Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
This is the greatest and most terrible secret of my childhood. It has haunted me my entire life. Every time I think about what I did I hate myself for it. And now, I confess my sins for absolution through the cat ladies of Pet Island. Here goes something.

When I was very young, before I started school, I killed a kitten. Not even sure where we got him anymore, but he was a little orange kitten, cute as could be, and I caused him to die a slow, horrific death, terrified of curious toddlers. I threw him off my grandmother's front porch to watch him land on his feet. Repeatedly. Even after my grandmother told me to stop, I didn't. I just kept catching him while he was shocked from falling six feet and dragging him back up to the top to do it again.

I found him curled up on my grandmother's porch the next morning, still warm but very much dead. I was sad, but didn't understand that it was my fault until years later. I'm so sorry, little orange kitty. I wish things had been different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My parents have a herd of semi-feral cats living underneath their back porch. This has been going on for years, and I have made very little effort to stop it. I justify it by telling myself that if we didn't feed them, they'd be even worse off, but it really just attracts more cats, all of whom are so inbred that half the litters don't survive.
Last summer one of our ferals had a litter of five. The cat in question was less than a year old and the father(s) was one of her littermates. One of the kittens died pretty much immediately. Then another kitten got sick and my sister brought him into the house. We babied him and fed him KMR and goat formula (it's a goat farm and was around). My sister gave him an absurdly long name, but I just called him Pip. The poor thing had malformed back legs and eyes so gummed up he couldn't open them. I didn't fight hard enough to keep him alive. I sprung for the kitten baby bottle, but not for KMR. I wasn't there for him his last few days. I know it wasn't my fault and that there wasn't much chance this kitten would survive, but I still feel awful about letting him die.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I trapped my grandmother's cat Frisky under a laundry basket and giggled while she tried to figure out how to escape. And I don't feel bad about it because she was swiping at my feel hanging off my too-short bed a few minutes before.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm taking care of someone else's cat for a year, and this cat has lived with me for four months now and is still ridiculously skittish. Basically, the only time she actually wants to be near me and be petted is in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, this is when I sleep and the only time I don't want to be near her or pet her. (I don't like her sleeping next to me because she keeps me awake by occasionally kneading my flesh with her claws out.) Last night, she meowed and scratched at my door basically all night until I finally got up, picked her up, put her in the spare room, and shut the door on her. Then she meowed and cried and scratched at the door, but down the hall from my bedroom and I could finally sleep. I feel so bad about that now, like I'm rejecting her only overtures of friendliness. But goddamn, cat, you have the worst timing.

I also torment her by luring her near me, picking her up, sniffing her all over, and telling her what a great meatloaf she'd make and how hungry I am for a cat-snack and, oh my, four legs means four juicy drumsticks for dinner, etc., until she squirms and runs away. I also have no qualms about waking her up during her naptime by petting her and playing with her paws until she bats my hand away -- I see this as payback for interrupting my sleep almost every night.

Have you tried wearing her the gently caress out during the day so she sleeps all night? That is usually the advice I see given for cats interrupting sleep. A $6 laser pointer could be your ticket to a restful night.

Content: There was a dog on my boyfriend's old farm. An old boxer named Bouncer. He ran around the place and got fed by the horse guy, but because no one lives there anymore, he didn't get much attention. He was always so happy to see us when we went, and I dreamed of having a place where we could bring him with us and give him the good life in his old age.
He died a few months after we moved into an apartment that would've allowed us to keep him. I should have pushed harder to bring him down immediately,but the pet deposit was expensive. I'm sorry Bouncer, for not making you final months comfortable and filled with love.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Saint Darwin posted:

That's not so much an animal sin as "don't be surprised when someone kicks your dog."

I've a friend with an unruly god and it makes me laugh how much they try to keep him from jumping on me. I'm not gonna put up with that poo poo and will knock him down with my hands. I know he thinks it's a game, and he's smart enough he could be much better trained, but he's such a doofus I love indulging him.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

My mother drove off with the cat asleep on the roof of her car. I laughed at the story of the cat jumping off the car a few houses down the road.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

empty sea posted:

When I went back to backhouse today at work, Zoe was boarding. Zoe is a tiny, white and cream Fluffipoo thing of a dog. Basically imagine the most ridiculous 4 pound ball of adorable fluff you can imagine. When you walk her she prances like a magnificent pony because you see she is not a real dog and has no idea how or why we walk on a leash. It's just "follow you with a rope outside" time. But the prancing is not why I love her.

It's because when you stand outside her cage and mock her with the leash she whimpers and rolls around in utterly adorable agony. How dare I deprive this dog of prancing at my side for five minutes? I am a monster.

Please tell me there is video of that dog walking, somewhere?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I throw the blanket over the cat to watch her try to escape. Last time she tangled herself up so bad she needed rescuing, and I spent at least five minutes laughing at her before picking up the blanket.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I resent my boyfriend's family dog. She's a very sweet German shepherd with a lovely temperament, but she's got a skin infection that makes her scratch like mad and she gets dandruff and pulled-out hair everywhere and if I leave the bedroom door open, she goes and lays on my bed and gets it all gross, too. I vacuum and sweep and mop up dog hair and dandruff twice a day just because it bothers me so much. I want to like her, but I just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Rah posted:

I think it's time for a real confession...

It's something that I feel very very guilty about to this day. When I was around 9/10 years old I had a pet hamster. I got it as a gift from my mum and I guess at the time I wasn't responsible enough to properly care for it. I'd leave it weeks without cleaning it's cage and sometimes forget to feed it and forget about it for days. Eventually it died which I think is probably from neglect. I feel so guilty about it and still can't forgive myself. I don't think I should have been given a hamster when I was so young, especially since my mum didn't really supervise to make sure it was being properly cared for.

I'm still really ashamed about it and I wish I could turn back time and make sure I cared for it properly. This is the first time I've admitted to it to anyone. I love animals so much and have two cats that I love more than anything and I make sure they're cared for as well as I possibly can. It really hurts me to think that an animal suffered because of me and I wish I could forgive myself.

You are not the only one to have killed a pet via childhood ignorance/negligence. It sucks, and feels like you don't even deserve to live, but I forgive you. I hope one day you can forgive yourself. Just like I hope that one day I can forgive myself for attempting to test the idiom that cats always land on their feet on my little orange kitten when I was five or six.

• Locked thread