Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Secret Spoon posted:

God bless us, everyone.

You get that stuff homey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Hekk posted:

What are you talking about? This is the best part of spending time with your troops. Especially once you get old and boring (read: married with kids) and aren't making any new stories of your own. You listen to their tales, call the "one upers" out on their bullshit, tell a few stories of your own, and teach the young guys how not to get caught doing stupid stuff.

Accepting the fact that no matter what anyone says, young guys are going to do some outlandish stuff and helping them see how they can be smart about doing stupid things is how to mold some of the loyalest troops you've ever seen.

hi hekk

R>C>P

:)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shimazu posted:

hi hekk

R>C>P

:)

I am an idiot. I was reading from my phone and somehow missed a word. Please make fun of me.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The UK Border Agency are collectively dumbshits; http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-yh-22312.htm

quote:

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has been censured over safety failings that could have caused an explosion at Robin Hood airport in Finningley, South Yorkshire.

Ten people were present and other aircraft nearby when UKBA staff unsafely examined a plane's munitions cargo - despite being warned not to by the pilot.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) today (19 December 2012) completed its Crown Censure procedure of UKBA following its investigation into the incident on 10 November 2009.

A flight carrying anti-tank ammunition had landed at the airport and UKBA workers were told by their manager to carry out checks on the load. The plane was taken to a separate part of the site because of the hazardous cargo.

The aircraft pilot warned UKBA staff that the crates of ammunition were explosive and should not be examined. Despite this warning, they opened the crates and partially removed some of the explosive devices from their protective packaging while ten people were there.

This entailed removing three separate layers of packaging, including opening the protective tubing and exposing live rounds of anti-tank ammunition. There were five crates, each containing five rounds.

The HSE investigation found that UKBA had failed to carry out a suitable risk assessment to enable them to complete the checks safely. Had they done so, they would have recognised several problems.

There was a significant risk that the ammunition could detonate if it was dropped which could have detonated the whole cargo. As a result, members of the public, airport workers and nearby aircraft were all put at risk on that day.

Mr Paul Darling, Corporate Director, Resources and Organisational Development, of the UK Borders Agency attended the Crown Censure meeting on 19 December 2012 at the HSE premises in Sheffield and accepted the findings on behalf of UKBA.

By accepting the censure, UKBA has formally acknowledged there were health and safety failings.

I can only assume the air crew ran to the other side of the airfield once that bunch of pebbledicks started poking around unwrapping things.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
On the bright side it sounds like they're fully qualified to become Iraqi EOD.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll give them a deal on dowsing rods.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Signaleer posted:

On the bright side it sounds like they're fully qualified to become Iraqi EOD.

Or Afghan. I've seen their RCP procedures... it consists of three guys in front of the convoy: one that points at the ground and two that run over to the places pointed out and kick at the ground.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You get that stuff homey?

I sure did, thankyou brother. Im going to SEND LIKE 100000 PM's and what not.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

We don't have a smartest dude in the army thread so I'm posting here instead.

A private in my platoon uses old cigarette butts from the ground, ash trays, and trash cans to roll 'new' cigarettes. He says he can never get a job, it is impossible in thiis economy. Meanwhile, two fresh faced 18 year olds show up to the unit and manage to have jobs by their next drill. His roommate is a former Ranger who can knows the Ft. Irwin installation CO and can totally hook our us up with range time. He told LT this in front of everyone. His fiance can't even really be classified as a homo sapien. She is a sentient meatsack. He medidated in the field...during his guard shift. Did you know you don't have to respond to radio checks when you're meditating? It's in the AR about religion dudes. He is writing a book that's a cross between LOTR, Harry Potter, twilight, and whatever else is popular right now (he is giving me a copy when he's done). Oh, he even doesn't have to pay rent because his parenrs are gracious enough to pay his share when he's visiting every day. He hasn't passed an APFT since his last one at AIT over a year ago. But it's not his fault, there's just this one really hosed up spot on the road that's easy to trip on three times. Life is hard for a pimp.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

old dog child posted:

A private in my platoon uses old cigarette butts from the ground, ash trays, and trash cans to roll 'new' cigarettes. He says he can never get a job, it is impossible in thiis economy. Meanwhile, two fresh faced 18 year olds show up to the unit and manage to have jobs by their next drill. His roommate is a former Ranger who can knows the Ft. Irwin installation CO and can totally hook our us up with range time. He told LT this in front of everyone. His fiance can't even really be classified as a homo sapien. She is a sentient meatsack. He medidated in the field...during his guard shift. Did you know you don't have to respond to radio checks when you're meditating? It's in the AR about religion dudes. He is writing a book that's a cross between LOTR, Harry Potter, twilight, and whatever else is popular right now (he is giving me a copy when he's done). Oh, he even doesn't have to pay rent because his parenrs are gracious enough to pay his share when he's visiting every day. He hasn't passed an APFT since his last one at AIT over a year ago. But it's not his fault, there's just this one really hosed up spot on the road that's easy to trip on three times. Life is hard for a pimp.

We have a guy like that in my guard unit. Three months in a row he failed an APFT, different event each time lol. For pushups his hand was on a rock, indoors, for situps he had a rash, and when he failed the run the track was too uphill. It was perfectly loving flat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Pesticide20 posted:

Or Afghan. I've seen their RCP procedures... it consists of three guys in front of the convoy: one that points at the ground and two that run over to the places pointed out and kick at the ground.

yo, plz censor this opsec information thx

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

psydude posted:

yo, plz censor this opsec information thx

That's only one TTP though. Our dudes were trained by our co-located ODA and would at least drive dirtbikes over the suspected spot, or drag a rake next to the bike. It actually worked surprisingly really well.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

old dog child posted:

You're going to post this book when you get it, right?

JakeB
Dec 28, 2008

ASK ABOUT MAH PICKLES!!!!one
Let's talk about 1LT Fred. The LT graduated first in his class out of OCS, so they made him 1LT. This genius was put in charge of a platoon for our deployment. No big deal. During workups, LT manages to drop a DAGR under a 7-ton and forget about it, all the way until said 7-ton runs it over. DAGR is now destroyed. LT owns up to it, and is relieved of his command of 3rd platoon and put under 1LT O.

Fast forward to the deployment. Fred finds out about a convoy that he wants in on. Convo as follows:

Fred: I want to go on this convoy.
O: gently caress no.
Fred: I'm going to go over your head then.
O: Fine, but the CO will tell you the same thing.

LT then calls us, at the COC, to get in touch with our CO.

Sgt: *Standard greeting*
Fred: Hey Sgt, is the CO around?
Sgt: No, he's out at chow.
Fred: Oh ok, well, tell him that I'm going on a convoy and I'll be back tomorrow.
Sgt: Roger that, sir.

On his way out the door Fred tells 1LT O that he got the O.K. from the CO. The platoon was in the middle of a fire mission or something, so O couldn't call us back right away. When he did, poo poo broke wide open. Our CO got so mad he couldn't speak and our 1stSgt drat near had an stroke when they found out.

They managed to get on a flight from Leatherneck to Payne same day, and were there waiting for Fred when he came back from the convoy. Two weeks after this Fred was transferred to a different unit in country, at a different FOB. Completely taken off of our roster. I mean, I wanted to go on convoys too, (Leatherneck fobbit checking it) but I at least listened when I was told no.

We also had this genius LCpl Fuckhead get bored one day and decide to stab one of two tough books we have for our launchers with a Gerber. Completely ruined the tough book. He at least became PFC Fuckhead and had reduced pay until he paid for a new one. This also happened while we were in country.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

You're the dude in Kuwait right? Hey if you're there when the PA guard retards show up look for a tall, skinny, awkward female E7 named Lars. Tell her Leanne says hi and he has eyes everywhere. Then run away.

Yes I know you probably won't see her or remember, or care, but it's a hilarious mental image for me, humor me.

Just read this and would like to say I am one of the PA guard retards currently sitting in Kuwait. I loving hate this place.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Demonlord posted:

Just read this and would like to say I am one of the PA guard retards currently sitting in Kuwait. I loving hate this place.

Haha poor guy. Is this your first deployment?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Demonlord posted:

Have you seen a little baby-faced 13F private from California around? My buddy hopped onto a PA Guard deployment to Kuwait :iiam:

He has a Napoleon complex and possibly hooah-induced ADD if that narrows it down at all.

Mad Dragon posted:

You're going to post this book when you get it, right?

I'm trying to convince him to publish on Amazon. :ssh:

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 24, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

JakeB posted:

Let's talk about 1LT Fred. The LT graduated first in his class out of OCS, so they made him 1LT. This genius was put in charge of a platoon for our deployment. No big deal. During workups, LT manages to drop a DAGR under a 7-ton and forget about it, all the way until said 7-ton runs it over. DAGR is now destroyed. LT owns up to it, and is relieved of his command of 3rd platoon and put under 1LT O.

Why is dropping a GPS and breaking it something worthy of losing your command over? I get it's just a platoon and all but that seems like a big smack in the face. What am I missing?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

LT manages to drop a DAGR under a 7-ton and forget about it

It's a sensitive item. You don't lose stuff like that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

Not as bad as losing a crypto box for the radio. I've heard that just zeroing it will get an O-6 involved.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Why is dropping a GPS and breaking it something worthy of losing your command over? I get it's just a platoon and all but that seems like a big smack in the face. What am I missing?

A DAGR isn't like losing a Garmin, theoretically you could use it to reverse-engineer the hardware that decodes the encrypted GPS signal.

I mean in this case I assume they found the mangled remains of it, but still, dumb-rear end move.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Its not so much that you could reverse-engineer the GPS decoding signal. Its that a DAGR has a ton of waypoint data built into it that could be exploited by a reasonably intelligence shithead.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DoktorLoken posted:

He didn't lose it. It just got smashed. It only becomes a 'big deal' when its loaded with crypto. Until then, its just like losing any other piece of green gear as far as I know.

edit: Which isn't to say that it isn't a big deal, just to observe that its not a comsec violation. I mean a DAGR is essentially a civilian GPS with a few extra features that nobody has ever had to use in real life.

AB posted:

Not as bad as losing a crypto box for the radio. I've heard that just zeroing it will get an O-6 involved.

What is the 'crypto box' for the radio? You dont use 119s or 148s or 152s in tanks?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Its not so much that you could reverse-engineer the GPS decoding signal. Its that a DAGR has a ton of waypoint data built into it that could be exploited by a reasonably intelligence shithead.

Programming waypoints is such a bitch, who bothers doing that?

vains fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 24, 2012

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

What is the 'crypto box' for the radio? You dont use 119s or 148s or 152s in tanks?

I called it that because I can't remember the acronym for it. It's whatever that little black box is that we use to fill radios.

E: Short idiot story. Last time I ran training missions with crypto on the radios, I could never get it to work because of timing. Turns out the retard contractor who was with us based the timing off his watch. I was pissed at him for not checking DAGR time and myself for not figuring out why we were off time.

EBB fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 24, 2012

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

AB posted:

I called it that because I can't remember the acronym for it. It's whatever that little black box is that we use to fill radios.

ANCD. Or that newer touchscreen one that I forget the name of.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

AB posted:

Oh okay, I know what you mean now. Older radios used to have a device that you attach to the radio to transmit encrypted so I was kind of confused.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

ANCD. Or that newer touchscreen one that I forget the name of.

SKL.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

You don't get an O-6 involved if you zero a KYK or ANCD or SKL. That's ridiculous.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oops, someone made a mistake with a piece of equipment! Quick, call the Colonel! He'll know what to do!

Also I could definitely understand relieving an officer for destroying a piece of equipment. Once you're a company commander the only thing that you can really gently caress up is your property book, so he failed at the most important aspect of command. He'd probably be a pretty sweet staff officer though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If he left sensitive equipment under the truck and left it there, he obviously lost custody of it. The fact that it was recovered doesn't remove his lapse.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Haha poor guy. Is this your first deployment?
Unfortunately yes, fortunately, our sister PA guard brigade is deploying somewhere more dangerous next year so I might hop on that one.

old dog child posted:

Have you seen a little baby-faced 13F private from California around? My buddy hopped onto a PA Guard deployment to Kuwait :iiam:

He has a Napoleon complex and possibly hooah-induced ADD if that narrows it down at all.

If you PM me his name I'll be sure to lookout for him and call him a POG. :)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Demonlord posted:

Unfortunately yes, fortunately, our sister PA guard brigade is deploying somewhere more dangerous next year so I might hop on that one.
I wouldn't bet money on that. I'm not in the know or anything but it's safe to assume that may not happen.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Our Gay Apparel posted:

You don't get an O-6 involved if you zero a KYK or ANCD or SKL. That's ridiculous.

yeah, for good christ that's two minutes to fix.

I can see some repercussions for letting a sensitive item get ran over, and a statement of charges for sure, but relieved? There had to have been something else going on there.

polpot saved asia
Aug 28, 2011
sounds like they asked him where it was he diddnt know and when they found it, it was crushed. I have zeroized more ancds than I can count when I was a private all they will do isncall you a dumbass and refill it with another one. hell I zeroized a hclos one morning because they thought 25f and 25q fresh out of ait was the same thing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My take (like several others here) is he lost possession of it and it was only found after it was destroyed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

yeah, for good christ that's two minutes to fix.

I can see some repercussions for letting a sensitive item get ran over, and a statement of charges for sure, but relieved? There had to have been something else going on there.

Officers generally don't get second chances when they gently caress up like that.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh yes they do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

vacation in kabul posted:

Oh yes they do.

*Applies only to O5 and below.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Our Gay Apparel posted:

Yeah I'm really scratching my head here on this one.

I mean hell, SKL's accidently zero themselves all the drat time thanks to the batteries.

What sort of hosed up unit/command is this occurring in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

psydude posted:

Officers generally don't get second chances when they gently caress up like that.

lol what

maybe not in your pretend army