Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Please bring back the save point C/P messages tia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There are at least two people here on SA that have that avatar. The funny one and the not funny one. I don't think that guy is either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
drat its the not funny one haha. Nah I kid, I kid. I look forward to great things from you and this project.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

notZaar posted:

Space Jam is a great movie.

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpWgLE7Bl-4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wezlar posted:

Do people actually care about balance in single player games?

Yes? Maybe its the kind of balance that you take for granted though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Discendo Vox posted:

What can folks tell me about Frankie's new game?

It'll be out before barkley 2

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hiratio posted:

- Unwillingness to cut or simplify anything despite not having the manpower and the game dragging for years on end.

- Management dictating how work should be done despite not understanding how it actually works. Leading to needlessly complicated systems, obsolete systems, and totally broken systems.

These points are the most baffling to me. Did people there not understand the whole reason any of us are interested in the first place is because Barkley 1 was funny? Who gives a poo poo about the systems or millions of guns or whatever, all we ever wanted was a funny game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Maybe if we had literally any other info to go by. His account doesn't make it out to be a scam, just a mess, which like we pretty much already assumed.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Endorph posted:

I think the Barkley 2 devs are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Lol at this and at this whole dang mess

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
This thread has been a barren wasteland for years and so to all the former ToG guys: sincerely thank you for the posts.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Here, now gimme the CODE

lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
@cboyardee: :justpost: man, we're not even mad we just want funny dev stories

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Thanks for posting. I'll echo was others have said in that I don't feel owned anything, it was a long time ago and you guys are infinitely more broken up about the whole situation than any of us will be. I will take any and all Dark Draker type tidbits though

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
tag yourself, I'm polenta :yum:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alan Smithee posted:

I just got here from kotaku

what's this about a dark drakerz

Gortarius posted:

Just to throw in my two cents into this barkley toilet...

I can't with 100% certainty confirm every bit of what GZ (Hiratio) has said because I wasn't in the ToG inner circles until there was like 4 people left in 2016 or whatever, but I have ZERO reason to doubt anything that he has said here from my experiences working on this wretched game, and from just talking to him about all the weird things going on and shady back-alley attitude. I peaced out from the project the same time as him for many of the same reasons he did.

This is such a complicated mess, and from a span of 6 years, that I might be misremembering stuff here and there, but I'm trying to write all of this to the best of my recollection:

For me, it all started back in fall of 2012 when they were looking for some help for B2 and since I sort of knew some of them and I liked Barkley1 I said sure, count me in. I did various systems they asked me to do, like the Character Creation system and the various minigames like the Booty Bass, a Diving minigame and a DwarfNET prototype that me and GZ later worked into a functional framework for some juicy DwarfNET content that never came. There are more than that but I picked these examples because they are probably the ones most people might have actually seen of this game via conventions or streams.

Back in those early days it was the Ideas Guy bonanza out there. Everyone had ideas and quests they wanted to bring into the game, good or bad, and everyone was hyped to the gills about making some barkley. It's in good portion because of those whacky ideas and the refusal to let go of them that sunk this ship and I too at the time contributed to that, although I don't think they gave two shits about my ideas beyond briefly entertaining them. It was their baby and I was just some Joe Shmuck that was helping them out, and I was perfectly fine with that.

I wasn't involved in the writing at all, until I thought that maybe I could help these guys script some off the NPC's. Their writing was good, and I knew mine was not, so I just tried to make the NPC's with their writing on them work as well as I could, testing them out for logic errors and stuff like that. The NPC/Event scripting system at the time was not user-friendly in the slightest but somehow work was getting done, or so I thought. Chef and Bort were still onboard at this point and all seemed good, or as good as one would expect anyway.

The compile times slowly got unacceptable and we thought there wasn't much we could do about it, the game was just so big (not true as evidenced by the superior scripting system GZ devised much later and discovering the "Dark Drakers", which I will explain later). This is about the time when it all began to sour, and I want to say this was like 2015 to 2016. Chef disappeared in a poof of smoke and Bort became a family man. I sensed that there was some beefs going on in ToG, but it seemed like something that could have been resolved, so I didn't pay it too much attention to it like a total fool.

Because of these departures I found myself in a much more central role and was suddenly in the mysterious inner circle. At this time I had also learned the tips and tricks of the mapmaking racket and had unofficially become the map maker. People would give me blueprints of game areas, and I would map them out to the best of my ability, and later on I would become obsessed with making the maps seamlessly weaving into each other. This was extremely dumb because it was basically just an artificial limitation, even if I liked the end result. I did also change a bunch of maps on my own accord because I thought they sucked, which lead into some beef, but those beefs were usually resolved within hours/days.

This is also about the time when I discovered the Dark Drakers, which soured the whole thing further. Dark Draker is a filler character in B2 who talks about being faster than the snapping maw of a drake. I discovered that an entire areas worth of NPC's were just carbon copies of Dark Draker with a different name given to each, AKA the illusion of work being done. Just these 10% finished NPC's basically littering the project to make it seem like it was all good. I suppose the plan was to eventually make them into distinct NPC's but the problem was that the whole game was plagued by the Dark Drakers, and they GREATLY attributed to the poo poo compile times. I also discovered/was told about some of the more hidden mechanics of the game which can only be described as the concoction of a lunatic. For example, two separate ingame time system both dictating quests and NPC behavior (with NPC's also being dictated by quest variables, items the player has etc.), leading to impossible to fix content. Thank the lord one of these system was later discarded.

There was many schemes on how to move forward on many occasions. Every now and then there would be a burst of gumption, and work was being done, and it all seemed good again, briefly. But you can only run away from the problems for so long. The combat in the game was always too complicated, too ambitious, and criminally ignored. It was a total disgrace, and I did bring this up a few times, but ToG didn't seem to give a hoot, or there was always some excuse why it shouldn't be worked on right now. There was too many "affixes" for the guns, there were too many types of gun, there were too many gun materials, too much everything basically.

Most of the gun stuff eventually sort of worked, and Frankie really outdid himself by making those 1000000 different gun sprites. Frankie was the only person who produced a consistent and high quality stream of work, and did way more than he needed to. It's a total disgrace that all the art he did is essentially in the toilet now.

With combat the crux of the issue wasn't not having enough sprites or the guns not working 100% like intended, but the enemies. They were a total loving disgrace. But again, it wasn't seen as important enough to do something about it in an RPG game. To my knowledge, to this day there are no functional bosses.

2017 seems like the year with most of the streaks of when a good amount of work was being done. Things were getting made but of course the project was already long overdue. The new scripting system was in full swing which was approximately 20000 times better/faster/easier to use than the old one. I can't stress enough how much more efficient it made content creation. Compile times had dropped down to around 45 seconds. Too bad the writers were no longer there. Instead we tried to emulate the barkley1 sort of writing ourselves, but of course it was rather mediocre.

In 2018 GZ vanished for a long time and I just thought maybe he had some personal stuff to figure out, or that he had jumped off a bridge. That was not the case, he was merely crestfallen to his very core in regards to Barkley2. This was also the year when there would be times when I was the only person working on the game for weeks at a time, and at the longest, a month at a time. The whole debacle finally came to it's "climax" near the end of 2018 when it become absolutely crystal clear to even me that this is a bad joke and it's never going to work out if it just keeps going on like it had up to that point. GZ had more insight into things so he had figured out this a lot sooner, but regardless, when he quit, so did I because at that point there was no realistic way of getting this poo poo done. I was so stupid that it took me 6 years to become disillusioned.

This is boring and longwinded as all hell, but this is basically the short version of my story and I hope I haven't misremembered anything. I don't want to see this piece of poo poo game ever again in my life.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gortarius posted:

For Phucker in the Woods, it's probably better to wait for the Steam version which fixes some things and makes Hiroshi into a less of a hideous piece of poo poo / almost tolerable.

For Phucker in the Gulag though you should go for the Itchio version because Steam was out of it's mind and wanted us to censor the game, so it's the inferior version.

As for something that people might actually be interested in (I hope this time I knew how to embed images (getting the link on imgur is enough, right?)):

I'm not sure if all of these are up to date because I would try to spice them up almost every day and then it takes two million years to compile these overview images so I would only do that very rarely. There's more but I don't care enough to go through the hassle of getting them.

I know you mentioned that the artificial limitation of having the maps be all interconnected was a mistake but they do look nice don't they lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
god drat this thread owns

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I will agree that I don't give a gently caress about blaming anyone for anything and would prefer funny dev stories for all eternity

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gortarius posted:

This is just going to drag on forever. It's hopeless.

I'm here for it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Holy poo poo barkley 2 is out