Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

the demo did not disappoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

run out of guns, even imaginary ones? try the unarmed fistol, terrible damage, abysmal range, and infinite ammunition to hold you over until you get anything, anything else at all to use instead

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dwarfnet posted:

"...the fistol can be a useful weapon, in the right (heh) hands. But how do you unlock this majestic beast? At character creation, it asks whether the character is right or left handed. Now, in game, this doesn't look like it does anything other than flip a number of animations, right? Wrong. Run out of ammunition in the field, and there's a small (cumulative) chance Hoopz will comment on it, and unequip all guns. Yes, all of them. And it's not just a one-off to reveal those hidden firearms, Hoopz can now unequip all their guns whenever they want, whyever they want..."

"...So you got the right-fistol or the left-fistol, and you noticed one huge problem: it's awful. Slow, weak, and terrible range to round them off. No surprise there, they exist so the player won't get doomed out in the field, not to reward running out of ammunition! But, these secret weapons have a trick to them: Remember those strength and agility stats? The ones that don't do anything much for your shooting? Put points in them. No, really. If you want those fistols to do more than meek slaps, you need to crank up that STR stat you've been neglecting all game! But what about the fire rate? AGI, my friend, AGI. And unlike strength, you might even have points in this one already! Great for you."
"Now, that's all fine and dandy you say, but what about range? Arm-extender augments. Yes, those things you thought only existed to make it harder to hit anything in your personal space? Yep, this is their onlyreal value. Even better, they stack, letting those fists fly further and further away into your enemies faces..."

"...So you have one of the starter fistols, you did the secret questline to keep it relevant throughout the game, bought augments until you got banned from purchasing cyberware, but there's still one question lurking in the backroom-depths of your mind: What about the other fistol? Well, you could go on a second gamespanning quest in new-game plus... Or, you could just unequip your fistol. Yes, it's that easy. Just unequip your fistol, Hoopz comments on this and realizes they have another fistol they can use, unlocking the fistol you didn't pick at character creation. Now, unequip that, combine it with your starter fistol, and tada, you have the One-Two Fistol. Enjoy punching everything."

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Fayez Butts posted:

Something has to be done with all that gun art

Hops Barkley 2.5: the gun farming sim spinoff

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

berkley...

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

b...berkley? berkley?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

close the thread if and only if barkley 2 releases imo

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

berkley

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

should the thread be pinned for its final hours

byrklye

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

eventually, there will be a barkley two. it won't be called barkley two. it might not even have a barkley. but it will carry on the spirit. hopefully without the same pitfalls.
anyways

berkley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

mdct posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that goons will desperately cling to literally over-a-decade-old jokes at this point and think they're still funny and perpetuate them in a thread that by all means should have died when every single person of the original dev team chimed in and said "this poo poo isn't happening". When we got the full story about why Barkley 2 is dead as gently caress and never going to come out, y'all will still cling to it. I wanted to see this thread closed because that's the only thing that'd give full closure about this project, collectively, and everyone can move on and find new Joke's to enjoy. There are no True Doom Murderheads left on this earth and that's just something everyone has to accept.

I don't think any of us seriously expect Barkley 2 to come out at this point.
But a plaintive hope, perhaps that someone else might come along with a (finished, released, playable) game that hits folks ideas of a barkley 2 still lingers.
And over the years, I think there have been a few contenders. games that hit some of the same vibes while being their own thing. new jokes, new ideas.
(which given how long its been might be for the best?)
hm.
guess what I'm getting at is while there won't be a literal Barkley 2 Chuchulains revenge realms of tirnanog etc, folks can and will still hope for something to fill that space.
when that has faded, either because something reasonably satisfactory has come along or nobody is left that even remotely cares, then the thread is over.
in the meanwhile...

borkely