Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bootcamp/Basic ain't weeding people out like it's supposed to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

In case anyone s actually interested

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/stp/3444029102.html

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkt1vAX0MRM&feature=youtu.be

I know this has had to be in GiP before, but it's just so amazingly stupid that it deserves a place in every youtube thread

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Casimir Radon posted:

That's not from Denmark, it's another lovely Dutch creation. Inventors of most terrible reality show trends, like this despicable poo poo

US Reality Shows are worse (slightly :NSFW: )

vas edit: not about military topics. This is not a chat thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 3, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

afen posted:

Norwegian fast patrol boat. We stayed there for six months, I think the germans are the largest contributor now.

Malaysia has a shockingly high naval contribution there too. Which kinda blew my mind for a moment

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Just had this amazing thing sent to me. It's a pretty Navy picture, alright. Maybe :nws: http://i.imgur.com/rcj1x5H.png

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Zippos from VIetnam

http://imgur.com/gallery/p2Yla

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Red Crown posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21307208

The Iranian Air Force has unveiled their game-changing, IDF-stopping stealth fighter on state TV for the first time.

That jet noise in the video is the same clip every movie uses when showing jets fly.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Elendil004 posted:

I own that first eagle fighter jock t shirt and it's amazing. By wearing it, I can factually prove that I love America more than anyone not wearing one.

Kills me they didn't use F-15s as the planes in the background

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brown Moses posted:

Here's we see some Syrian opposition fighters sneak up behind a tank, then send in a guy to drop a grenade into it. Slighty :nws: for obvious reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yck3EZeyOD0

All the suggestions for viewing after were Harlem Shake videos

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

This actually makes it better.

Peak TFR

Zero Length Launch System. An idea cooked up in the pre-guided missile era where they would protect targets by strapping rockets to a regular fighter, launching it like a SAM off of a mobile truck and having it intercept aggressors. You can see the skid guard under the F-100 and the giant rocket booster. Not pictured: Pilot's massive goddam balls

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's not like the idea died in that era. We used to have those devilboosters on our Starfighters well into the eighties. Something about the ruskies murdering our airfields and maintaining ready-fives, I forget. But not only the zero-length-launch system required balls. Stepping into an aircraft with a downward-launching ejection seat (before we adapted a different system) is a feat of courage unto itself.
The amount of pilots that thing murdered is ridiculous, we used to call it "Witwenmacher" or widowmaker.

There's a British comedy album about the attempted US sale of the F-104 to the RAF that is absolutely hysterical. http://therisingstorm.net/robert-calvert-captain-lockheed-and-the-starfighters/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AbEFosgtE

Whole thing is on youtube

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 19, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

kathmandu posted:

FSA doctrine seems to call for one guy to do the actual fighting and 6 to stand around yelling "allahu akbar!" like some kind of death-dealing highway construction crew.

It's pretty much their "Git-sum" and "Oorah/Hoohah" but with the added benefit of saying how cool Jesus' dad is

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Brown Moses posted:

From Syria, if life gives you lemons...

Everytime you post in this thread I think to myself "Those Syrians are some scrappy glass half full mother-fuckers."

Edit:

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 4, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I want the full video of that. :stare:

Also, Jolly Rogers Tomcats best Tomcats:

Really the Jolly Rogers and the Sun Downers have always had the best paint schemes.

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LWNQqs7TE

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 4, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rigel posted:

That was from some viral poo poo for the new old planet of the apes movie. It's probably on youtube still.

Yep, thats the youtube I posted

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I've seen .50 cal casings re-purposed as shot glasses. I want to get a 105 to turn in to a beer stien one day

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If only they had this technology during the Civil War so I could have told every kid to gently caress off in History class when we discussed it because there was no loving way I was sitting with the great^4 grandkids of every loving union general

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Georgia Peach posted:

I am the great-great-great-grandson of a private who got shot in the face, took 6 months off because he lost half of his jaw and came back to keep fighting. gently caress a general.

Also, gently caress me, because I think I'd be out after losing my jaw.

My family owns an assload of tobacco land in Georgia, so we just sent slaves to be trained as soldiers and didn't do poo poo. Sherman didn't burn em down, and just hired our slaves as share croppers after the war and made more money that way since they didn't have to feed them or house them anymore, while still taking 80% of the poo poo they grew.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DoktorLoken posted:

This poo poo bothers me a lot for some reason. It's one thing to have a SWAT team, it's another for the police to keep constantly adopting the uniforms and equipment of the Army.

Its because militarized police never work out. Be it the SS or the SPs

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

front wing flexing posted:

FBMS and then known as FBIS was created in 1941 and exists to this day as OSC. It's operated by the CIA. OSINT as intelligence discipline is pretty old. The data mining of social media is mostly handled by NSA (allegedly not targeted at US nationals for intel oversight reasons, yeah right) and the FBI is pretty deep into monitoring social media too, for obvious reasons.

He's talking about it as a beyond face value analysis. I met some of the Jellyfish dudes at a conference for PIs and they actually have come up with some amazingly cool metrics for observation across a large spectrum that puts previous methods to absolute shame. OSINT is a pretty old intel method, but the modern usage of it is just a solid 50/50 of SIGINT and HUMINT

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Friend just sent this to me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Reception-into-the-Army.jpg

Army Chicks dot jay-pig

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bradass87 posted:

that one on the far right is clearly dying and needs hospice immediately

One next to her looks like her face has been stapled on an alien mask

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

Sgt Chowdown must be the crew chief.

That or he's going for his jump wings

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm absolutely certain that the pilot was ordered to accelerate fast enough to fly the nose wheel off the ground then promptly put it back down and stop the Mig-21 for this photo.

Looks like its on of the 2 seat trainer MiG-21s. Probably a training squadron

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pufflekins posted:

Thats deffo a Russian uniform

Google says it's a Chechen veteran. http://marsthebringerofwar.tumblr.com/post/35250797717/criminallyinnocent-chechnya-war-an-eye-for-an

But who knows if it's right

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pufflekins posted:

Eastern Europe, all the same thing, all Russia.

I'm pretty sure he is Russian, just a veteran of fighting in Chechnya. Russian Army will keep you in so long as you can still march and shoot

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DoktorLoken posted:

Shoot a rifle with your dominant eye, not hand so you don't have to do something retarded like that. I'm left handed/right eye dominant and have no problems shooting rifles right handed. In fact shooting rifles left handed just feels awkward.

Same story, hand/eye reversed. Growing up, every one of my siblings and I save for one (we're sure she's the mailman's) all have this same issue.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

movax posted:

So colorful :swoon:

Is that a refueling, uh, thingy (drogue?) that the one in front is dragging? Didn't think they could buddy-tank or something.

Yeah, the Russians pretty much rely on buddy tanking for cross country flights since they really don't have too many dedicated tankers

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
It could be a re-purposed Dong Fen 15 or 31 judging by the size and shape.

Edit: Coworker who's a bit of a missile nerd says it looks like an Indian Agni series rocket

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Israel does all kind of hosed poo poo and I wholly disagree with how they treat Palestine, that said, it's kinda nice to back a winner for once. Every body else we help in the region sucks poo poo at everything they do, but Israel is loving competent beyond measure. Too bad they keep selling our tech to China, though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I never got why we stopped using snakeeyes, the AIR kits are for lack of a better word retarded. A thing that looks like it's using giant razor blades to slow down is way more rad.

The Marines still have some I think. I saw them a couple of times at MCAS Yuma and pretty sure I saw the tail units on the Peleliu in 08 or 09

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pufflekins posted:

"Upon the unit's return from deployment on Kelly hill Fort Benning ,this what they came to find when they returned from block leave."

Which one of you jokers did this

Not a single dick spray painted anywhere? No one from GiP.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Abe Lincoln reincarnated and went to Rhodesia.

I was gonna say Angola by way of South Africa, but Rhodesia makes more sense

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

gfanikf posted:

By way of Lancaster, PA

Explains why he thinks dirt is interesting

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Veins McGee posted:

I'm pretty sure its from Rhodesia. You could probably track down what unit if you wanted to run through a lot of white supremacist/Rhodesia forums.

I just Reverse gis'd it and it's defiantly Rhodesia. Also, spot on with the white supremacist sites thing

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 16, 2013

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The craziest part is that the rebels somehow built an air force for themselves for a bit in the late 90s. No one knew where or how they got the planes and weapons for awhile

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

To my knowledge not in recent history.

Fallujah got me thinking of old-school siege tactics, which reminded me of the crusades when a handful of cities were wiped out to a person.

Actually the Khmer Rouge did this against a few cities/larger villages in the 70s that had put up resistance. Then the Vietnamese did it to the Khmer a few years later when they had holed up in a few villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Veins McGee posted:

The RLI were pretty terrible at all aspects of counter-insurgency except the killing 'bad guys' part.

Also, the whole idea of reenacting the Bush War is pretty loving weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMrD53Jofc

Everything I've read about it pretty much points to "If it was a competent raid against a valuable target, it was the South Africans. If it was a body count in the middle of nowhere, it was the Rhodies"

• Locked thread