Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just finished the first act. I love the aesthetics and the writing, really wish it was just a wee bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Just finished Act I, and feel like that was $7 well spent. Think it was about 90 minutes to play through and I wasn't rushing, but I also didn't explore all the side roads or follow all the optional dialogue bits either. Tempting to play through again and see if some of the conversational tree choices change things, but on the other hand the other choices would feel weird now.

Love the atmosphere and visual / audio design here. Looking forward to Acts II - V.

Did anyone else flip off the lamp while travelling through the mine? The shades of the drowned miners were nicely creepy.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Totally

Also, Rock Paper Shotgun interviewed Cardboard Computer about KRZ. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a Kentuckian I feel a social obligation to play this game. And lose my teeth to Mountain Dew.
I see it passes the green light, is it possible to buy it through Steam?
E: spelling.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you buy it now, you will get a Steam key when it comes out on Steam.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If you buy it now, you will get a Steam key when it comes out on Steam.

Can I pay for it through steam, I should have worded that better. I'm asking because I saw earlier in the thread that the developer was having issues with PayPal.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You don't have to pay through PayPal and in fact you can't pay through PayPal, the devs stopped using it because PayPal is poo poo.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Also, Rock Paper Shotgun interviewed Cardboard Computer about KRZ. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.
I really liked Jake acknowledging how the audience for video games has grown enough that literary themes and references can work out pretty well (as well as the fact that he himself was outside the industry for a long time). It gives me high hopes for the rest of the game and makes the wait for Act Two that much worse.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I played the first episode last night and it was fantastic. I spent some time just driving around the map and found some pretty neat stuff, but I'm not sure how random it was.

Specifically the two guys pushing the airplane along the highway. I drove by that part of the map again later and couldn't find them. There wasn't anything to do with them but the camera did "zoom in" on them in a scene - IE not just a "text adventure" like the museum - and it's either a great setpiece, or a great set-up for something later. Or both.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, I'm also interested to see if any of the one-off encounters are part of any bigger story. Even if not the main story, maybe the airplane guys will show up again :3:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I found this kind of randomly this morning and bought it based just on the art style. It's a really good thing they didn't go with whatever is in that really early trailer.

I don't usually care for the whole magical realism thing, but Act 1 totally bowled me over, and I am super-excited to play the rest. I'm actually re-playing it now to find some of the extra stuff I missed and also to capture images for desktop backgrounds and such. I may actually just record the whole thing at 60fps and pull the images from there.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 2, 2013

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
They absolutely nailed the Southern Gothic style in the storytelling. I was going to replay it this weekend too to see if I missed anything else. The museum must mean something.

And- did anyone else stick their hands all the way into all three tanks in the bait shop before you meet the cousin?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Peas and Rice posted:

And- did anyone else stick their hands all the way into all three tanks in the bait shop before you meet the cousin?

Yeah, it was weird. The first one is :gonk:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Been exploring the post-mine map before starting my second playthrough, and I noticed a few things that I didn't notice at first. Thought I might share a couple of them.

Make sure you Re-visit the bait shop with Shannon.

Talk to Joseph again As Shannon to get a bit more information on the characters.

Ed: Holy poo poo, guys. I just found something amazing. At the start of the game, keep talking to the people in the basement until they have nothing left to say. "I don't think you can win. The box says it's supposed to be a tragedy."

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 2, 2013

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: Holy poo poo, guys. I just found something amazing. At the start of the game, keep talking to the people in the basement until they have nothing left to say. "I don't think you can win. The box says it's supposed to be a tragedy."

Yeah, I thought this was clever. I wonder if it's a bit of foreshadowing...or not :heysexy:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

What was the prompt that flashed at the top of the screen as you were traveling up the mine? I was too startled by the silhouette of the first(?) miner to hit it.

Noxjunx
Jul 25, 2009
This is a really fascinating game to play. It's like a reverse choose your own adventure game. Instead of choosing actions, you choose the motivation behind the action. I'm looking forward to see what they do with this in future episodes.

I also really dig "Southern Gothic" setting. I haven't heard of this before but from the thread it seems to be an established genre. Does anyone have any suggestion of books/movies in this style?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Noxjunx posted:

This is a really fascinating game to play. It's like a reverse choose your own adventure game. Instead of choosing actions, you choose the motivation behind the action. I'm looking forward to see what they do with this in future episodes.

I also really dig "Southern Gothic" setting. I haven't heard of this before but from the thread it seems to be an established genre. Does anyone have any suggestion of books/movies in this style?
William Faulkner is easily the best and most famous Southern Gothic author (in addition to being one of the greatest authors of all time, period), so my suggestion is to start with him. Beyond that, the Wikipedia entry for Southern Gothic isn't too bad - the "key authors" section near the bottom, for instance, might be helpful.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

i poo poo trains posted:

What was the prompt that flashed at the top of the screen as you were traveling up the mine? I was too startled by the silhouette of the first(?) miner to hit it.

You talking about the turntable? Because you missed some stuff if you didn't use it.

edit: Also I should just throw in that I bought the 5-episode package and just played through Act I and this is one of the coolest games I've ever played.

Ara fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 6, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The developers released another game, Limits & Demonstrations, set in the same universe/with the same awesome art/etc. It's free! Also short. But free... and pretty good if you ask me. Robert "Radiator" Yang has written an article about it.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 9, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The developers released another game, Limits & Demonstrations, set in the same universe/with the same awesome art/etc. It's free! Also short. But free... and pretty good if you ask me. Robert "Radiator" Yang has written an article about it.

Wow, you weren't kidding about it being short. It's good. Don't know how much actual "game" there is, though.

I was particularly interested in the bit about People dying in the zero and The tape running out while she was eating AND while she was driving. Not sure how that works out.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Just played through Act 1. I liked it! I drove around and tried to see as much as I could but feel like I missed plenty :/

What were everyone's favorite map locations?

I liked the Church. It was kinda creepy but for some reason I felt bad about turning off the music even though nobody was there...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Timett posted:

I liked the Church.

I think the church would have been creepy no matter what I did there. And I'm a dude who doesn't get creeped out by churches unless they're, y'know, genuinely creepy :pwn:

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

The office building with the campfire in it and the 24/7 diner are my two favorites. The scenes themselves are great but I also really love the way they both trail off and leave so much to the imagination.

Noxjunx
Jul 25, 2009

Rhontos posted:

The office building with the campfire in it and the 24/7 diner are my two favorites. The scenes themselves are great but I also really love the way they both trail off and leave so much to the imagination.

I'm hearing about a bunch of events I never saw :smith: I guess I need to give this game another play.

Have they added more areas in the new patches or am I just oblivious?

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

I don't think there was a patch, but a lot of these events are out in the middle of nowhere so you wouldn't find them if you were just going where it told you to go.

Here are the two locations I talked about.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lance Streetman posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding about it being short. It's good. Don't know how much actual "game" there is, though.

I was particularly interested in the bit about People dying in the zero and The tape running out while she was eating AND while she was driving. Not sure how that works out.

The June Paik one was the most intriguing for me, especially the "bonus" tape.

Also, L&D is meant to mainly be a tech demo and a way for people to check if they can run the game. They just ended up building it out into something that ties into the mythos of the overall game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Whether or not it ended up tying into KRZ, L&D is pretty stupendous. If most people were able to churn out "tech demos" of that quality then I can't imagine how amazing actual games would be.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Call me thick, but I didn't realize that Emily, Bob and Ben from Limits and Demonstrations appear in KRZ until I read the newsletter I just got from Cardboard Computer. They're the game players in the basement of Equus Oils. And also the band.

e: Since they've got Humble Store purchasing up and running now (allowing you to use Paypal again, and also Amazon and Google payments) I asked them if Paypal was still holding their money hostage- if you bought KRZ early with Paypal you'll be happy to know that they've got your money now.

Glimpse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 18, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

So it looks like all the single-act purchases have been upgraded to complete versions at no extra charge. Neato.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is on Steam now.

acd
Jan 4, 2004

Some high scores can never be beat.
Just played through Act I in linux, needed some config tweaks to get it running. (If you experience that and need to adjust rez go to ~/Documents/KentuckyRouteZero and edit settings.krz to the settings you want.)

I love the Act I finishing, and how loving beautiful the game is. It's like Hill Billy King's Quest Art Edition.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I bought the game on Steam before reading the site. Did I miss out on the private newsletter?

E: They pointed this out on Twitter, so I'll re-post it here.

People who bought the game through Steam: the game's install folder has the soundtrack mp3s and instructions to get on the mailing list.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 25, 2013

mocridhe
Jan 19, 2012
Just got this game and played through Act I, but now realize I missed a lot so will play it through more patiently in a few days/weeks. Definitely looking forward to the other acts, I *love* the art style of this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just got this today and playing through it and enjoying it. Quick question though, where is the cave where Weaver's cousin is because I'm being pretty thorough when it comes to exploring this game but I missed the location when Joseph told me and I looked all around the map and I couldn't find it. Is it near the Route Zero onramp, because I've been avoiding that until I mostly find everything in the game.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Just got this today and playing through it and enjoying it. Quick question though, where is the cave where Weaver's cousin is because I'm being pretty thorough when it comes to exploring this game but I missed the location when Joseph told me and I looked all around the map and I couldn't find it. Is it near the Route Zero onramp, because I've been avoiding that until I mostly find everything in the game.

That onramp is the cave.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Radicalysmic posted:

That onramp is the cave.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot that Route Zero is in a cave , thanks.

Beat it now and yeah it was quite good and I totally missed the the dead miners. I saw Route Zero before the reveal though. I think I went everywhere on the map at least. Caught the references to Walking Dead, Syberia, and Digital: A Love Story in the Museum archives, was there any other ones in the archives that are real?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 26, 2013

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I bought this for my boyfriend but I couldn't resist playing it myself, okay I might of actually just got it for myself and used the gift thing as an excuse, it was really awesome and much more creepy than I thought it was going to be.

Story stuff I'm guessing the main character is dead and the wreck is his van but I'm hoping for something not so predictable, I'd also feel pretty bad for poor old Blue.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The latest Idle Thumbs episode is about this game, among others, and from what I hear it has no spoilers aside from some very early stuff and an easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The game is 25% off on Steam right now.

• Locked thread