Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hewlett posted:

I'm falling more in love with Brian Tyler, who's quickly turning into the new Lalo Schifrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zypcnjlhCNU

(It's not particularly innovative, I know, but it's a lot of fun to listen to, and I love that Brian Tyler's thing is that he does his own drums/guitar and just enhances that with orchestra around it.)
It's not really my cup of tea but I did sort of appreciate him taking bits and pieces from every Alien movie and every Predator movie for AvP2:R which was clever if potentially lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I really liked the soundtrack to the new Star Trek movie, and looking it up it seems Michael Giacchino has done a shitload of work that I really liked, including a bunch of JJ Abrams TV shows and a handful of Pixar movies including Up and Ratatouille. Seems pretty versatile, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I really liked the soundtrack to the new Star Trek movie, and looking it up it seems Michael Giacchino has done a shitload of work that I really liked, including a bunch of JJ Abrams TV shows and a handful of Pixar movies including Up and Ratatouille. Seems pretty versatile, I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the future.
Yeah, Giacchino is pretty underrated. I haven't listened to the Star Trek score(s) yet but I've always liked what I've heard from him ever since the PSX versions of Medal of Honor and especially the soundtrack to The Lost World: Jurassic Park PSX game where he managed to emulate John Williams' style perfectly while adding his own spin to it.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

If we're still bandying our favorite Williams pieces, I'll throw in a few tracks from a "minor" Spielberg film: Empire of the Sun

Cadillac of the Skies: the scene from the film (almost never fails to give me chills) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ouJ_WyS9v8

and from the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXWnQFuR3I

Imaginary Air Battle (this one rubs shoulders with "My Friend the Brachiosaurus", the ending sequence from CE3K and some tracks from Hook as the most whimsical pieces in John's output) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vdF8DeNXI

My favorite John Williams score is probably Close Encounters (so motivically tiiiiighhht), but there are so many highlights in his career that I would be helpless if asked to choose a definitive "top 3-5-10-whatever" list.

Mahler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 11, 2013

haakman
May 5, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, Giacchino is pretty underrated. I haven't listened to the Star Trek score(s) yet but I've always liked what I've heard from him ever since the PSX versions of Medal of Honor and especially the soundtrack to The Lost World: Jurassic Park PSX game where he managed to emulate John Williams' style perfectly while adding his own spin to it.

I like his stuff, but I find the second phrase of the main Star Trek motif grating. One note in particular just doesn't gel with me. I'll have a listen and describe it in more musical detail when I get home.

I did quite enjoy Bryan Tyler's credit scene song for Iron Man 3.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have yet to listen to the Iron Man 3 and Star Trek scores, but I did go through Clint Mansell's "Stoker" score, Zimmer's "The Man Of Steel" score and the Zimmer/Balfe/Gerard score for "The Bible".

"Stoker" felt very subdued and didn't really build up to anything as its own thing, generally Mansell's scores have had some kind of intense and climactic ending to them but not this one. "The Man Of Steel" is tremendously by-the-numbers and generic and the main theme completely failed to grab me while "The Bible" was, unsurprisingly, like "Gladiator" with all the good bits removed and replaced with just soulless (hah) fluff. And this is coming from someone who digs the hell out of Zimmer.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

haakman posted:

I like his stuff, but I find the second phrase of the main Star Trek motif grating. One note in particular just doesn't gel with me. I'll have a listen and describe it in more musical detail when I get home.

Please do, I'm very curious which note you're talking about.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Mahler posted:

If we're still bandying our favorite Williams pieces, I'll throw in a few tracks from a "minor" Spielberg film: Empire of the Sun

Cadillac of the Skies: the scene from the film (almost never fails to give me chills) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ouJ_WyS9v8

and from the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXXWnQFuR3I

Imaginary Air Battle (this one rubs shoulders with "My Friend the Brachiosaurus", the ending sequence from CE3K and some tracks from Hook as the most whimsical pieces in John's output) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3vdF8DeNXI

My favorite John Williams score is probably Close Encounters (so motivically tiiiiighhht), but there are so many highlights in his career that I would be helpless if asked to choose a definitive "top 3-5-10-whatever" list.

Great score that doesn't get talked about much.

I was thinking about 80s movie themes the other day and realized that my favorite isn't actually a Williams theme...its Silvestri. I don't know what it is, but something about the theme from Back to the Future just makes it the definitive "80's Film" theme in my mind. He really nailed that one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ComposerGuy posted:

I was thinking about 80s movie themes the other day and realized that my favorite isn't actually a Williams theme...its Silvestri. I don't know what it is, but something about the theme from Back to the Future just makes it the definitive "80's Film" theme in my mind. He really nailed that one.
I kind of agree. As much as I love stuff Williams did in the 80's and frankly loathed a lot of Silvestri's other work around that time, the BttF main theme is just something so perfect. The story behind the entire score is kind of funny as well; Zemeckis was concerned about the budget and the quality of the special effects and told Silvestri to at least make the movie "sound like it's incredibly epic" and boy did he deliver. BttF is one of those movies that loses the majority of its impact if you were to remove the score.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Stare-Out posted:

I kind of agree. As much as I love stuff Williams did in the 80's and frankly loathed a lot of Silvestri's other work around that time, the BttF main theme is just something so perfect. The story behind the entire score is kind of funny as well; Zemeckis was concerned about the budget and the quality of the special effects and told Silvestri to at least make the movie "sound like it's incredibly epic" and boy did he deliver. BttF is one of those movies that loses the majority of its impact if you were to remove the score.

And yet the practical effects for the DeLorean time-travel effect are still pretty drat good today IMO.

haakman
May 5, 2011

ComposerGuy posted:

Absolutely great theme. I'm a big fan of Silvestri. One of my favourite scores of his is the Judge Dredd score - specifically the main theme, played over the opening credits. The brass is fantastic and hits, what seems to be, a ridiculously high FFFFFFFFFFFF(note: more F's for exaggeration) note at one point. I get Wagnerian chills whenever I hear that score.

re: ST, the first phrase descends and then the next phrase ascends, resolving on a note which just doesn't subjectively work for me. When I'm in front of my piano I'll play it out and give you the exact reason I find it jarring.

What does everyone think about the Kingdom of Heaven score by Gregson-Williams? (barring the obvious inclusion of a cue from Goldsmith's 13th Warrior). I'm quite a fan - it contains accessible, modernised medieval music - "Burning the Past" is a cue I particularly enjoy.

haakman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 11, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Predator > Back to the Future. Tone changes, crescendos, drum rhythm in 2...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

haakman posted:

What does everyone think about the Kingdom of Heaven score by Gregson-Williams? (barring the obvious inclusion of a cue from Goldsmith's 13th Warrior). I'm quite a fan - it contains accessible, modernised medieval music - "Burning the Past" is a cue I particularly enjoy.

Good main theme, far too repetitive of a full score and it gets grating after a while.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Darko posted:

Predator > Back to the Future. Tone changes, crescendos, drum rhythm in 2...

I like Predator, but when I think 80's, I think Back to the Future. Silvestri also rather clearly was riffing on his BTTF underscore all over that theme. That man loves him some octatonic scale.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Yes, I know that everyone HATES James Horner.

Now that's out of the way:

The main theme from Willow always gets me pumped and ready to go on an adventure. I think that the themes from this movie are right up there with what Williams did for Indiana Jones & Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxvf0ybG1og (sorry for the quality, couldn't find anything better)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rocket Ace posted:

James Horner post Legends of the Fall/Braveheart. Willow falls before that, as does American Tail, etc.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
With all of the Zimmer talk, I feel the need to voice support for his True Romance soundtrack. Simple, unobtrusive, and thematically fitting.

I'm a sucker for Morricone, especially in conjunction with Leone's direction. I've also never seen The Mission but the music sounds excellent.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Rocket Ace posted:

As Darko mentioned above, this isn't actually true.

There are 2 James Horners, really.

The James Horner everyone loves did cool stuff in the 80s right up until the mid-90s with Braveheart and Apollo 13.

Then he died.

Now there's some Zombie James Horner using his name and stealing all his poo poo all the time.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

I have a fairly low opinion of Horner for his blatant thieveries (and over-repetition: "DANGER" four note motif on the trumpet), but the scores for Krull and Willow are just so goddamned good. I can put one of those movies in the background and just listen to the dialogue and music and be entertained. It's because I like awkward fantasy schlock and Horner knows how to write bitchen action cues.

Bonus points for interesting creepy track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZWwK65fyHo

Mahler fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 13, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Legends of the Fall DVD had an option where you could cut the dialogue off and just listen to the score, and it worked really, really well. actually, I far prefer the movie that way.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Ah thanks for the clarification. That makes sense: all the scores that he did that I'm in love with fit into his pre-zombie days.

Come to think of it, nothing he's done since has really caught my attention. Hmmm.

'okay I stand corrected!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rocket Ace posted:

The main theme from Willow always gets me pumped and ready to go on an adventure. I think that the themes from this movie are right up there with what Williams did for Indiana Jones & Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxvf0ybG1og (sorry for the quality, couldn't find anything better)

On the other hand, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQ-eZqnVe0

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

As Darko mentioned above, this isn't actually true.

There are 2 James Horners, really.

The James Horner everyone loves did cool stuff in the 80s right up until the mid-90s with Braveheart and Apollo 13.

Then he died.

Now there's some Zombie James Horner using his name and stealing all his poo poo all the time.

Horner's always been a self-plagiarizer, though. His Star Trek II score lifts heavily from Battle Beyond the Stars, and the Aliens score directly quotes Star Trek III throughout.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Timby posted:

the Aliens score directly quotes Star Trek III throughout.

Star Trek 3? Haha, I'll do you one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGQ9zDKgjhc

....as compared to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB92r3o19gk

(and the other sections appear all through the Aliens score as well)

ugh...goddamn James Horner.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 12, 2013

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Timby posted:

Horner's always been a self-plagiarizer, though. His Star Trek II score lifts heavily from Battle Beyond the Stars, and the Aliens score directly quotes Star Trek III throughout.

Oh I know, this is true. But in his early career it wasn't the only thing he was capable of.

That hasn't been true since 1996.

haakman
May 5, 2011
I listened to some John Barry last night. It made me sad about the general shift towards minimalism, percussion and braaaahhmmms.

Love me some John Barry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Aliens and Star Trek II soundtracks are two of my favorites of all time, I don't really care if even by that time he had plagiarized himself ten times over. Although, if I recall, the Aliens soundtrack was also one where he was required to cook it up in three weeks.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Aliens and Star Trek II soundtracks are two of my favorites of all time, I don't really care if even by that time he had plagiarized himself ten times over. Although, if I recall, the Aliens soundtrack was also one where he was required to cook it up in three weeks.

Yeah, he had to cook up Star Trek III's in about ten days as well, which is lucky that he was able to organically reuse his themes from Wrath of Khan. At the same time, I still really liked his Klingon theme and the Stealing the Enterprise cue.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, how the hell does that happen. Isn't this stuff planned well in advance? Did James Cameron just go through pre-production, production and editing and suddenly go, "HOLY poo poo I FORGOT TO ADD MUSIC"?

e: Nevermind.

Wikipedia posted:

Music composer James Horner felt he was not given enough time to create a musical score. Horner arrived in England and expected the film to be "locked" so he could write the score in six weeks, which he thought was a sufficient amount of time. Horner, however, discovered that filming and editing were still taking place, and he was unable to view the film. He visited the sets and editing rooms for three weeks and found that editor Ray Lovejoy was barely keeping up with the workload for reasons of time restrictions. Horner believed Cameron was preoccupied with sound effects, citing that Cameron spent two days with the sound engineer creating the sounds for the pulse rifles. He also complained that he was given an outdated recording studio; the score was recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios, a 30-year-old studio that was barely able to patch in synthesizers or use the electronic equipment that Horner required.[18]
Six weeks from theatrical release, no dubbing had taken place and the score had not been written, as Horner was unable to view the completed film. The final cue for the scene in which Ripley battles the Alien queen was written overnight. Cameron completely reworked the scene, leaving Horner to rewrite the music. As Gale Hurd did not have much music production experience, she and Cameron denied Horner's request to push the film back four weeks so he could finish the score. Horner felt that, given more time, he could get the score to 100% of his satisfaction, rather than the 80% he estimated he had been able to achieve. The score was recorded in roughly four days.[18] Despite his troubles, Horner received an Academy Award nomination (his first) for Best Original Score.
Horner stated that tensions between himself and Cameron were so high during post-production that he assumed they would never work together again. Horner believed that Cameron's film schedules were too short and stressful. The two parted ways until 1997 when Cameron, impressed with Horner's score for Braveheart, asked him to compose the score for Titanic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, how the hell does that happen. Isn't this stuff planned well in advance? Did James Cameron just go through pre-production, production and editing and suddenly go, "HOLY poo poo I FORGOT TO ADD MUSIC"?

e: Nevermind.

Aliens was one of those productions, kind of like Star Wars, where the film's release was a small miracle.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Horner is well-known in the industry as the guy you bring in to do a really, really fast score job when something happens (like rejecting the score of another composer, or technical issues keeping a film in editing hell). The same thing happened with "Troy". He had to write the score AND get it recorded in less than 2 weeks (due to the composer originally hired, Gabriel Yared, being rejected at the last minute).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there any postmortem on why Morricone's score for Mission to Mars was so goddamn terrible? I've watched a lot of movies but never have I been actually distracted by how inappropriately the music matched the action onscreen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Been listening to The Place Beyond the Pines soundtrack and I wish Mike Patton would do more movie soundtracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrLABBCN6eg
Just a really haunting score in my opinion.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
What do you guys think about Jerry Fielding? I'm watching The Gambler (starring James Caan) on TV right now and the score is really striking. I guess a lot of it was based off Mahler, so that could be why:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/the-gambler.html

The second track plays as Caan drives around 1974 New York. It's a great scene.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

DNS posted:

What do you guys think about Jerry Fielding? I'm watching The Gambler (starring James Caan) on TV right now and the score is really striking. I guess a lot of it was based off Mahler, so that could be why:

http://www.quartetrecords.com/the-gambler.html

The second track plays as Caan drives around 1974 New York. It's a great scene.

Listening to 3 or 4 tracks, it's almost all straight-up Mahler 1 (a few edits here and there). Not much of an original score, I guess.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Looks like a bit of Michael Giacchino's score for the new Star Tours has leaked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJuZdICCKDE

Really nailed that 70's travelogue vibe, though honestly the first thing that came to mind was "Pixar Star Wars Movie". :getin:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Mahler posted:

Listening to 3 or 4 tracks, it's almost all straight-up Mahler 1 (a few edits here and there). Not much of an original score, I guess.

Thanks, Mahler.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

DNS posted:

Thanks, Mahler.

Generally speaking, this is pretty much how all of us should go through life already. Thanking Mahler every day.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If anyone is looking for a new soundtrack, Cloud Atlas is gorgeous. The Atlas March and its reprise in the final two tracks (Finale and End Title) are two of the best tracks I've heard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

If anyone is looking for a new soundtrack, Cloud Atlas is gorgeous. The Atlas March and its reprise in the final two tracks (Finale and End Title) are two of the best tracks I've heard in a while.
I have to agree with this. As a whole it's a pretty solid score and every version of the titular track is really wonderful, which is pretty necessary as it's an actual plot point in the film. "Cloud Atlas End Title" and "Sonmi-451 Meets Chang" are both definite highlights for me.