Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jackard posted:

Here's a spoiler-free track from season two of the Mandalorian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt0T2QlWf8c

I'm sure I've heard this sort of thing before, it probably has a name, but nothing is coming to mind. Does anyone know themes that are similar to this?

In the House, In a Heartbeat from 28 Days/Weeks Later and Kick-rear end has similar progression, but it might also be a variation of this track from The Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Master composer Austin Wintory has been doing some videos on composing and his latest is pretty cool, about when not to put music in a film and it made me think of Cast Away in a whole different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdF9kKjXFE

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Master composer Austin Wintory has been doing some videos on composing and his latest is pretty cool, about when not to put music in a film and it made me think of Cast Away in a whole different way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTdF9kKjXFE

His insights on music on play watch listen is one of the reasons it’s become a top podcast for me. Also the banter between the 4 is fantastic.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

LionArcher posted:

His insights on music on play watch listen is one of the reasons it’s become a top podcast for me. Also the banter between the 4 is fantastic.

I still need to check that out. Wintory is also one of the nicest people around, I've talked with him a few times and he's really humble and generous with his time to talk about music.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for linking that, he has a great conversational style and it lines up quite neatly with what I’m teaching my middle schoolers rn

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hawkperson posted:

Thanks for linking that, he has a great conversational style and it lines up quite neatly with what I’m teaching my middle schoolers rn

Oh that's cool, you're welcome!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Green Knight has a good as hell score

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm having trouble remembering a film score that I was reminded of by the score for Ema. What's another movie that has big single electronic chords like that?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Green Knight has a good as hell score

It's very good but felt very oppressive at times. It kind of felt like The VVitch or Midsommar to me

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really digging Ryuichi Sakamoto's Minamata score. Also it was the fastest I've managed to pick him out as the composer for a movie while watching it, the second I heard the main theme on a piano I knew it was Sakamoto which got me very excited.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 29, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zimmer's Dune score is interesting. It worked well with the movie but on its own it's pretty weird and slightly disjointed but on the whole feels like he left his comfort zone quite a bit.

I was disappointed by the inclusion of the middle-eastern sounds early on. Not because they weren't good but combined with the whole desert aesthetic it felt like something that's been done to death and I was hoping for something a bit more novel there. And it's off particularly since the movie obviously doesn't even take place in the middle-east. But otherwise I'm enjoying it I guess.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

And it's off particularly since the movie obviously doesn't even take place in the middle-east.

but it is meant to be a rough stand in/allegory for that land/its people nonetheless. a very deliberate one from Herbert at that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

aBagorn posted:

but it is meant to be a rough stand in/allegory for that land/its people nonetheless. a very deliberate one from Herbert at that.

Yeah, I guess I should've said that I got that since it's apparent and all, but even so, and it's not a huge critisism by any means, just when I first heard it I was a bit let down because it was exactly what I would've expected to hear when I was hoping Zimmer would've done something different there. It only happens early on in the score though so it's not that bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was good but the best stuff was the themes for the other planets. The Atreides and Sardaukar music was great.

For space middle east music you can't top Paul Ruskay's Homeworld 2 music.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Zimmer's Dune score is interesting. It worked well with the movie but on its own it's pretty weird and slightly disjointed but on the whole feels like he left his comfort zone quite a bit.

I was disappointed by the inclusion of the middle-eastern sounds early on. Not because they weren't good but combined with the whole desert aesthetic it felt like something that's been done to death and I was hoping for something a bit more novel there. And it's off particularly since the movie obviously doesn't even take place in the middle-east. But otherwise I'm enjoying it I guess.

I didn't love it when I first heard it, but its great in the movie itself, like you said. On the flip side, I loved the James Bond score when I first listened, and like it less after seeing the film. That final death scene didn't do it for me so that it ruined the "standard Zimmer crescendo song" that accompanied it.

Darko fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 14, 2021

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope that's not a spoiler for the Bond movie because I haven't seen it yet. But as for Dune, I've been listening to it now over the course of the past few days and it's definitely growing on me but it feels.. light? I was hoping for more texture between the high points (as in, the film's more dramatic moments) but it just kind of floats from one to the next. I love the bag pipes but they just come and go. It's such a strange beast. And it doesn't have the trademark Zimmer finale at all which I was hoping for, to be honest. No Chevaliers De Sangreal or Lost But Won here which for the first time in a while I feel the score kind of needed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't even know that Tron Legacy got a "complete" score release last year. It's only nine extra tracks that play after the original score but hey, that's something and it's pretty great. It even has the version of "Outlands" with the organ coming in which I've wanted since the movie came out 10 years ago!

Yeah buddy, that's a pretty big spoiler in your post for the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All those tracks got released when the score came out, they were just strung out through different places. Some were only Apple, some were only some phone companies, ect. But they were all at least on YouTube or files.

Very weird roll out

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

All those tracks got released when the score came out, they were just strung out through different places. Some were only Apple, some were only some phone companies, ect. But they were all at least on YouTube or files.

Very weird roll out

Call me old-fashioned, but a track being on YouTube doesn't really count as a release of anything, with or without YouTube Music.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember there being some extra tracks but only a couple so I was surprised to see them all on an actual album release like this because I hadn't heard most of them, few as there are. Still, the tracks are great for the most part and who doesn't want more Daft Punk Tron music?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Call me old-fashioned, but a track being on YouTube doesn't really count as a release of anything, with or without YouTube Music.

It is old fashioned!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I didn't even know that Tron Legacy got a "complete" score release last year. It's only nine extra tracks that play after the original score but hey, that's something and it's pretty great. It even has the version of "Outlands" with the organ coming in which I've wanted since the movie came out 10 years ago!

Yeah buddy, that's a pretty big spoiler in your post for the movie.

My bad; I thought I had spoiled that whole line, messed up.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Another thing worth noting about the 'complete' version of the TRON: Leagacy score is that it was made available in high-res audio for the first time, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Joseph Trapanese - who worked in the score with Daft Punk - wouldn't agree with the name of that release.

https://twitter.com/JoeComposer/status/1340021645415596032

Trapanese's score for TRON: Uprising is also worth a listen, you get a good idea of what parts of Legacy's score was more him than Daft Punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5A83fXUikc

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I watched both movies directed by Tom Ford last month and both had scores by Abel Korzeniowski that have just been haunting me ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb5Q2ejcxE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePPx8rCCssA

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A Single Man, besides being a fantastic film, does have an amazing score. It's kind of weird listening to it without Colin Firth narrating over it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I LOVE Abel Korzeniowski! Check out the score for W.E. if you haven't already

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Happened to rewatch the forgotten Spielberg movie The Terminal and honestly, Williams does some wonderful stuff for it. The clarinet is just terrific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVMaJNwpUS8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence after hearing the main theme a few weeks ago. Great movie, even better music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AS_hGzkoQY

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ryuichi Sakamoto is amazing. I loving love his score for The Sheltering Sky. Here's he's conducting a live version and it's just stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLRpPISVgoA

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyk-eAQi5rk

Williams going full luxuriant Steiner melody with this one

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 3, 2022

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Haven't mentioned this for fear of seeming too spammy, but I run a podcast (Right on Cue) that interviews film/TV/video game composers every 1-2 weeks. We've gotten some killer guests recently: Andrew Prahlow for Outer Wilds, Ted Shapiro for Severance, and one of the members of Son Lux for EEAAO, to name a few.

Another fun recurring feature is getting composers to offer track commentaries on some of the most integral/fun/interesting tracks, which is such a treat.

Today's ep is with Ben Lovett who scored the new Hellraiser -- we dug into a lot of interesting stuff, from building a "tortured" piano by detuning it, wrapping chains around it, etc., to juggling Christopher Young's original themes with Lovett's own approach. Hope y'all enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/show/0kpZClQu3Kl9veO6HYU9bi?si=4c90b014843a441d

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 29, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s cool, I’ll check it out. I loved listening to film music podcast like Art of the Score, though they stopped updating.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

checkplease posted:

That’s cool, I’ll check it out. I loved listening to film music podcast like Art of the Score, though they stopped updating.

Thanks! Yeah, I loved them, and Score: The Podcast, but a lot of film score podcasts drop pretty quickly, which is a shame.

If you're looking for other good film score podcasts that are also running, The Film Scorer is another scrappy small one like mine I can recommend. And it's Disney, but I really dig Jon Burlingame's "For Scores" pod.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Really enjoyed the soundtrack for The Menu. Not at all what I was expecting but works really well for the movie and is really interesting outside of it too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ryuichi Sakamoto died on Friday. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cancer finally got him huh

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What are some favs by him? Not sure I’m as familiar with him.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, The Last Emperor and The Sheltering Sky are some of his more famous film scores, and more recently there were the scores to The Revenant and Minamata.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFioda0kMzw

I dare say Johnny W's still got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk. I listened to one track and it was just the belly of the beast from last crusade and the end theme sounds like an old man getting up from bed. It feels very freaky. :(