Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I won't hide the fact that I have a huge soft spot for Zimmer and I like a whole lot of his stuff but his recent work hasn't been that good; The Bible score was like a soulless and limp version of his Gladiator score and the Man of Steel score was completely forgettable. What I've heard from the ASM2 score, yeah, it's not all that either. I recently rewatched the first ASM and the score is so generic and bland in true Horner style with his ever-present five-note "Horner" bit for extra cringe.

On a brighter note, I recently got the "complete" version of John Powell's X-Men 3 Last Stand score and it owns. The Phoenix theme is goddamn fantastic and I've been whistling it all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
John Powell is seriously the most overlooked composer working in the business, his stuff has been amazing from Face/Off onward. I can't wait to hear what he does for How to Train Your Dragon 2

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The score for Evolution is so great. Say whatever you will about the movie, but that cue at the end of the Mall Chase is one of his best.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Michael Giacchino is going to score Jurassic World, using John Williams' themes:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/michael-giacchino-jurassic-world-composer/

I am very excited about this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's pretty cool and made me think of the excellent score for The Lost World: Jurassic Park PlayStation game, also scored by Michael Giacchino.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah he started out doing very Williams influenced work so this is gonna be amazing.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah he started out doing very Williams influenced work so this is gonna be amazing.

I wouldn't limit the influence to the phrase "started out"

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
Any thoughts about the summer blockbuster scores so far?

I was a bit disappointed in John Ottman's score for X-Men: Days Of Future Past. There were only three or four standout tracks for me, even though so much of his score for X2 (and Superman Returns, now that I think about it) was excellent. At least he did get to reprise his theme from X2 a couple of times, and I think there was even a brief callback to Michael Kamen's theme from the first X-Men in there at one point. I also like the one use of Magneto's theme from X-Men: First Class. It's immediately recognizable from First Class, but probably changed just enough to keep them from having to pay Henry Jackman anything for using his First Class score.

There were two or three tracks from Alexandre Desplat's score for Godzilla that I thought were keepers, but the score wasn't as good overall as I hoped for.

Next up is James Newton Howard's score for Maleficent, but I'll probably wait until I've seen the movie before starting to go through the soundtrack.

Any other big scores to look forward to this summer?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

Any other big scores to look forward to this summer?

Steve Jablonsky will probably do something good with Transformers: Age of Extinction, John Powell is returning for How To Train Your Dragon 2, Giacchino is doing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and I have a hunch that Brian Tyler will have some fun on TMNT.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm on my way to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to see John Williams conduct as presented by Steven Spielberg. I'm so excited. As much as I've been bored by Williams' work as of late, he was a HUGE influence on me artistically over the years, as was Spielberg.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Darko posted:

I'm on my way to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to see John Williams conduct as presented by Steven Spielberg. I'm so excited. As much as I've been bored by Williams' work as of late, he was a HUGE influence on me artistically over the years, as was Spielberg.

How was it?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

effectual posted:

How was it?

Possibly the best overall musical event I've been to.

I've heard the DSO do a lot of film music in the past, and compilations of Williams as well, and they've often not been the "best" performances overall due to slight timing misses or weird note changes. However, they were on their "A game" for this and were almost absolutely perfect.

Williams is quite spry and sharp for his age, which is good to see. Spielberg is Spielberg, obviously. They did a couple of presentations, for instance, presenting the opening to Last Crusade without sound and comparing it to being live-scored.

I think I was most impressed, though, by some of the edited montages that they put together. Marion's theme for the leading ladies of film, etc.

But yeah, just seeing who are probably the greatest (combining skill with accomplishments with popularity) artists in their field in my lifetime was an unbeatable event.

And a quick excerpt I grabbed to give friends an idea of what it was like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTPkki1JSN8

Darko fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 17, 2014

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

So, I've seen/heard a lot of movie scores that are inspired by and/or feature new arrangements of The Planets (particularly Mars), but I've never heard the original. Is there a particular recording of it that I should seek out that's considered the best?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think the best versions are the James Levine ones:

Mars
Jupiter

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sure thing. Here are the rest of that particular bunch for the sake of completion:

Mercury
Venus
Saturn
Uranus

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cross posting from the "poo poo you just bought thread"

It's quite good. I listen to a lot of instrumental soundtracks at work, so this is a nice fresh one. I'm waiting for the Leftovers soundtrack to come out (I like the piano) as well as the Gone Girl soundtrack, as I've loved the 2 previous collaborations with Atticus Ross and Reznor (The Social Network and Girl with a Dragon Tattoo), as well as Ross' own work on the Book of Eli.

Martinez also did the instrumentals for "Drive" but in my opinion, this sounds better.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought this a few days ago myself but your post finally made me listen to it and so far it's really good. Very moody and fresh, really good stuff. I like the show but find that the soundtrack clashes really oddly with it most times, though not enough to bother me. A lot of the track names are pretty great too. Placental Repair? Yeah why not.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

NPR is streaming the Gone Girl Soundtrack.
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/25/350948108/first-listen-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-gone-girl-motion-picture-soundtrack

It's much more along the lines of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo than the Social Network, but I'll still definitely be picking it up when it comes out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I went on a bit of a shopping spree and bought pre-Zimmer soundtracks for three Christopher Nolan movies (Memento, Insomnia and The Prestige) by David Julyan and I'm liking them a lot. Pretty understated for the most part but enjoyable. The only thing is that the Memento soundtrack is one of those "music for and inspired by" albums so pretty much everything that isn't the score stinks. Also the score itself has lines from the movie mixed in which really bugs me (though I do love the movie). Was the actual Memento score ever released on its own? I'm having real trouble finding it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I've played the Memento score on Youtube or something, I believe, so it should exist. Can't research it right now, but I can look later.

edit: Is this the one you have?: http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/41067/Memento

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 2, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is the one I have, the one at the bottom of the page from your link. I've found snippets of the score on Youtube too that this version doesn't have, which is why I figured there had to be another "full" release of the score aside from the one I got.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
Speaking of buying old soundtracks, does anybody know where I can get a copy of the "Duck, you Sucker" without importing it. I can only find severely abridged versions, and I think it'd make really nice driving music

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Tried to listen to "Gone Girl" because I'll keep trying to give Reznor and Ross a chance but uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

In happier news, I was pleasantly surprised by Bates' effort for Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm not usually a big fan of his work, but this score had some great high points.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've watched a lot of Steven Soderbergh movies for whatever reason lately and watched Contagion for the first time since it came out and it only now hit me how good Cliff Martinez's score is. I've been playing The Knick soundtrack on loop lately and I reckon Contagion is even better, a real overlooked gem. Watching the movie it almost seems as if the score is the one thing making that movie perfectly paced, like it's the one keeping the whole thing going and everything else is trying to keep up. Totally worth checking out for some dark, brooding synth beats.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm eh on Contagion as a whole but the score is loving fantastic.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, I'm eh on Contagion as a whole but the score is loving fantastic.

Agreed, the soundtrack builds up the sphere in the movie so well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, how long has Howard Shore's score for Cronenberg's Dead Ringers been on iTunes? I'd been looking for that one for ages.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It doesn't list the pub date or what have you?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Speaking of all things Howard Shore, the final Hobbit score is up for preorder on iTunes with 90 second samples. It's out early next month.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, how long has Howard Shore's score for Cronenberg's Dead Ringers been on iTunes? I'd been looking for that one for ages.

Ooh, going to grab that and finally own it legally. His best score ever.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

teagone posted:

James Newton Howard's Hunger Games soundtrack goes unappreciated I think. Catching Fire made me realize there's some good stuff going on with the score. I had to go back and listen to Horn of Plenty because drat that track owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFAUzAtSz0w

I just watched Catching Fire this weekend and did the exact same thing! I'd forgotten how much I like Horn of Plenty.

Useless Rabbit posted:

He also scored the Romeo & Juliet movie that came out in October (which no one saw). It's the one Horner was fired from and Korzeniowski took over.

And just wanted to say that I absolutely love this score and it was my introduction to Korzeniowski. I've listened to most of his work now and I'm a fan. He reminds me of a more focused Alexandre Desplat.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 19, 2014

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
James Newton Howard is very underrated. I know some people think he's a bit of a low rent Thomas Newman but they are wrong. Howard is better.

(I'm sorry Tommy I still love you)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

James Newton Howard is very underrated. I know some people think he's a bit of a low rent Thomas Newman but they are wrong. Howard is better.

(I'm sorry Tommy I still love you)

Howard is great, but he hasn't hit the peaks of Meet Joe Black or The Horse Whisperer yet, or composed something with the general mood range of Shawshank. He's good, but there isn't much that can compare to MJB.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Village is up there as one of my absolute favorite James Newton Howard scores.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Stare-Out posted:

The Village is up there as one of my absolute favorite James Newton Howard scores.

Seconded. It still get regular playtime on my iPod. My only gripe is that the end of Those We Do Not Speak Of isn't its own song.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I love his Blood Diamond soundtrack. "Thought I'd never call" especially.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Stare-Out posted:

Love that one, though I think I actually prefer "Signs" of his M. Night work (his score to The Last Airbender is quite good, too. Shame the film is so goddamn terrible)

I just finished listening to another of his that I had almost forgotten about. "Hidalgo", which is just loving beautiful throughout. "Let Her Buck" is nearly tear-inducing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ComposerGuy posted:

Love that one, though I think I actually prefer "Signs" of his M. Night work

Yeah, Signs is great because he's totally aping Bernard Herrmann and he does it so incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Timby posted:

Yeah, Signs is great because he's totally aping Bernard Herrmann and he does it so incredibly well.

For sure.

"Hand Of Fate Parts One and Two" are some of my all time favorite tracks from any composer.