Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

headrest posted:

My personal favorite film score of all time has to be from The Mummy (1999). Jerry Goldsmith's score is just perfect. Sure, its Egyptian-sounding (half steps, slidy-strings, etc) but it just seems to carry the weight of 3000 years of ancient history in it. From the very opening shot down the pyramid, you know that Egypt is loving powerful and scary. Great use of brass and choir.

My absolute favorite moment in the score has to be O'Connel's hero theme (7:09 here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8ihtzzNtU). To me, this is more iconic and memorable than Indiana Jones' theme. Christ, my nine-year old self ran around the house fighting imaginary mummies with this blasting in the background.

Definitely an example of a score that is vastly superior to the film it was in (though I do love me some Mummy).

I also find it interesting when film scores follow rock chord progressions; an example of this would be the main hereo's theme in Lord of the Rings (I don't know the track name, but it's bombast and plays during Fellowship when the 9 of them get together and walk by the camera). That main chords of that song are quite rock based: you have a Am C Am, and then it goes in to the all-too-typical four chords Am F C G (as seen in MGMT's Kids, Avril Lavrigne's Complicated, Toto's Africa, etc etc). It's sneaky, but it definitely hits those chords and I'm sure that has a lot to do with how memorable and thrilling the tune is.

Haven't seen that movie since I was 14. Was immediately overcome with a nostalgia rush from O'Connel's theme :3:

It's a really solid soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, how the hell does that happen. Isn't this stuff planned well in advance? Did James Cameron just go through pre-production, production and editing and suddenly go, "HOLY poo poo I FORGOT TO ADD MUSIC"?

e: Nevermind.

Wikipedia posted:

Music composer James Horner felt he was not given enough time to create a musical score. Horner arrived in England and expected the film to be "locked" so he could write the score in six weeks, which he thought was a sufficient amount of time. Horner, however, discovered that filming and editing were still taking place, and he was unable to view the film. He visited the sets and editing rooms for three weeks and found that editor Ray Lovejoy was barely keeping up with the workload for reasons of time restrictions. Horner believed Cameron was preoccupied with sound effects, citing that Cameron spent two days with the sound engineer creating the sounds for the pulse rifles. He also complained that he was given an outdated recording studio; the score was recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra at Abbey Road Studios, a 30-year-old studio that was barely able to patch in synthesizers or use the electronic equipment that Horner required.[18]
Six weeks from theatrical release, no dubbing had taken place and the score had not been written, as Horner was unable to view the completed film. The final cue for the scene in which Ripley battles the Alien queen was written overnight. Cameron completely reworked the scene, leaving Horner to rewrite the music. As Gale Hurd did not have much music production experience, she and Cameron denied Horner's request to push the film back four weeks so he could finish the score. Horner felt that, given more time, he could get the score to 100% of his satisfaction, rather than the 80% he estimated he had been able to achieve. The score was recorded in roughly four days.[18] Despite his troubles, Horner received an Academy Award nomination (his first) for Best Original Score.
Horner stated that tensions between himself and Cameron were so high during post-production that he assumed they would never work together again. Horner believed that Cameron's film schedules were too short and stressful. The two parted ways until 1997 when Cameron, impressed with Horner's score for Braveheart, asked him to compose the score for Titanic.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HP Hovercraft posted:

How has nobody mentioned the best film score of the year?

Michael Fassbender for Best Up And Coming Artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-9OPkABTdY

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

The 90’s is coming next

Nope, not gonna happen. It gets skipped every cycle.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

The Time Dissolver posted:

Gonna have a poo poo fit if Greenwood doesn't get it

Still bitter about There Will Be Blood, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Stare-Out posted:

I like it a lot, but it's not my favorite Cliff Martinez score. He did absolutely incredible work on Soderberg's The Knick tv-series and Contagion would not be half as terrifying as it is without Martinez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBY7FnkNI4c

But seriously, watch The Knick if you haven't. It's only two seasons and Martinez kills it.

Heck yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkN7xV3Xe4