Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notsosubtle
Oct 30, 2008

ZackHoagie posted:

If we're talking scores from all time and not just this last year, Michael Nyman's scores for the films of Peter Greenaway are absolutely vital at capturing and accentuating what made the movies work with to begin with.

Another score, which is probably one of my all-time favorites is his score for Gattaca: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeBe2XQDZg. drat thing makes me tear up almost every time- though I'm also a huge fan of the film, so that's probably part of it.

[edit] I scanned the filmscores review of Gattaca and they mostly found it to be "a dreary score for a dreary movie"; which isn't to say that they disliked either overall. Still, I disagree. Yes, It's quite minimal and doesn't necessarily punctuate the action or emotion of what's happening onscreen all that often, but it hits the big emotional notes that are most vital to the film's themes.

This is especially true towards the end where the soundtrack follows the two brothers as they swim out to sea. Similarly with the montage that marks the very end of the film. Gattaca is a subdued film because it's main characters are forced to project icy, composed, confident demeanors in a world that has ironically contorted techno-biological advancement into a dehumanizing affair. Consequently, I think the score largely captures this. The score breaks out into its more sweeping emotional orchestral notes only when the characters are actually allowed to tap back into their humanity -be it in moments of love, lust, or anger.

Notsosubtle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU